Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Signs of Spring, Rays of Hope  (Read 6704 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Signs of Spring, Rays of Hope
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:09:58 pm »
[Parking this here for its Wheel of the Year-ishness and for lack of a better spot]

So today it has barely cracked the freezing mark in New York City--another cold day in a brutal winter. And yet I'm finding signs of hope: When I walked out my front door today, I noticed there were buds on the street trees, waiting for their moment to bust open...the male mourning dove has started his rhythmic cooing...when I went to the gym this morning, it was dark, but for the first time in months, when I left the sun was up and light was everywhere (and, if I leave the office on time, there's still some light in the sky now)...even I'm getting into the act, overwhelmed the past few days with a need to play my favorite "spring summoning" music, as if it might coax things along.

Any signs of impending spring yet where you are?

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Signs of Spring, Rays of Hope
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:19:21 pm »

Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »
[Parking this here for its Wheel of the Year-ishness and for lack of a better spot]

So today it has barely cracked the freezing mark in New York City--another cold day in a brutal winter. And yet I'm finding signs of hope: When I walked out my front door today, I noticed there were buds on the street trees, waiting for their moment to bust open...the male mourning dove has started his rhythmic cooing...when I went to the gym this morning, it was dark, but for the first time in months, when I left the sun was up and light was everywhere (and, if I leave the office on time, there's still some light in the sky now)...even I'm getting into the act, overwhelmed the past few days with a need to play my favorite "spring summoning" music, as if it might coax things along.

I saw a robin yesterday outside my apartment complex.

That's always been the first shimmer of spring wherever I've lived, but the trees around here are budding too.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:41:28 pm »
I saw a robin yesterday outside my apartment complex.

That's always been the first shimmer of spring wherever I've lived

For me, it's the red-winged blackbird. Growing up, once I heard that distinctive cry, I knew spring was back. In a week or two I'll make regular treks to Central Park for the sole purpose of keeping an eye and ear out for the first one's arrival.

(Though robins migrate here too, they're less reliable as spring indicators for us. There are always a few robins who tough the winter out in these parts--we're further south than you, and we're coastal, which further moderates the climate so that there's enough food sources to keep them around. Despite this wretched cold, I've seen a handful throughout.)

If robins have started turning up where you are already, there is indeed hope!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:44:50 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »

I've been enjoying that on my drives down to trivia Wednesday nights, I'm arriving at the pub and it's still light out-ish.  We got a marvelous snowstorm this last weekend, but with temperatures nearing 40 at the end of this week, I'm hoping most of the snow melts and stays that way! 

Some mornings, I've been hearing birds just outside the bedroom window.  I'm waiting impatiently for the red-winged blackbirds to come back to the conservation pond just down the street...

I'm also thinking sometime before February is out, I want to head to the local metropark to get a season pass and see if any of the nature trails are passable yet.   :)
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 11:07:00 am »

This morning when I went outside I startled a Red-bellied woodpecker who was drumming on our neighbor's metal chimney top. So even though things are still mostly brown I know breeding season is nigh.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:41 pm »

Birds have been chirping outside my window for a couple weeks now here in NC, but the weather has been yoyo-ing all winter. It was damn near 80 on Sunday.

But the onion grass has started taking over parts of my yard again so that's how I notice springtime.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:33:07 pm »

Birds have been chirping outside my window for a couple weeks now here in NC, but the weather has been yoyo-ing all winter. It was damn near 80 on Sunday.

But the onion grass has started taking over parts of my yard again so that's how I notice springtime.

Forgot to mention and didn't feel like editing. I like spring in NC but I despise the pollen. It's like mother nature just hates us and rains a nasty layer of puke yellow-green all over everything.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:30 pm »
Forgot to mention and didn't feel like editing. I like spring in NC but I despise the pollen. It's like mother nature just hates us and rains a nasty layer of puke yellow-green all over everything.

Argh! My one and only spring spent in Georgia... I walked outside after being indoors all day for work, and my black car was bright spring green from the thick layer of pollen that had accumulated over the work day. Instant watery eyes.

My sympathies to all you allergy sufferers in the south.

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:46 pm »
I'm hoping most of the snow melts and stays that way! 

Follow-up: It was 41 today, and I shoveled the slush off the end of the driveway without a coat, gleefully!  Stood in the sun and just relaxed for a couple of minutes, and with the warm-up here the rest of the week, I'm looking forward to seeing grass again soon!  The never-ending whiteness of snow really messes with my depth perception.
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

meno silencio

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:54:35 am »

Signs of impending spring? Where I am it looks like spring has already come... all the hardy plants are growing. I've been fretting that they'll freeze, but have to remind myself they're hardy after all.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:06 am »

I'd been thinking, 'nothing but the change in light levels/duration, ahahahahaha, it's still very much winter here,' since you put the thread up, but I'd forgotten that, a bit ago (I rather think before the end of January), I saw, and heard of course, a squadron of geese headed north.

And here I thought the expression 'silly goose' derived from the (lack of) common sense of domestic geese.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:57 pm »

Things were going fairly spring-ish, which for this area means rain and rain and then wow actually some sun... And then it fucking snowed last night! Granted it's sunny now and it's all melting, but I'm a whiner.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:57 pm »

Lots of birdsong!
I've also noticed that the snowdrops and daffodils started to flower about three weeks ago. Today we were able to leave the window open for an hour or two and the breeze coming in was pleasant rather than freezing! It was 13 degrees (Celsius) today, which was a welcome change!
The earth is waking up again  ;D
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:11 pm »
Things were going fairly spring-ish, which for this area means rain and rain and then wow actually some sun... And then it fucking snowed last night! Granted it's sunny now and it's all melting, but I'm a whiner.

yeah, but Surprise Snow is like a hallmark of spring in the Lower Mainland. Especially if it comes right after some beautiful sunny days. ;)

(seriously, as soon as it started snowing I went "Welp, it's spring.")
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: