Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Planets as deities?  (Read 11581 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Planets as deities?
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »
So, for a while now, I've had this inclination to view the planets of our solar system as embodiments of the deities after whom they are named.
For example; seeing Mars (the planet) as an embodiment of Mars (the Roman god of war).

I know that might seem silly or unconventional, but it's just a strange thought I've not been able to shake.

Anybody else have similar associations?
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
Re: Planets as deities?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 04:57:09 am »
So, for a while now, I've had this inclination to view the planets of our solar system as embodiments of the deities after whom they are named.
For example; seeing Mars (the planet) as an embodiment of Mars (the Roman god of war).

I know that might seem silly or unconventional, but it's just a strange thought I've not been able to shake.

As a child/teen I saw the stars as fire spirits, does that count?

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:19:56 am »

That's quite interesting! The idea of seeing celestial bodies as spiritual entities is definitely something I wanna know more about.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 08:02:01 am »
That's quite interesting! The idea of seeing celestial bodies as spiritual entities is definitely something I wanna know more about.
I have no idea, its just an idea I had when I was younger and more naive.

Well and as for me it was just stars, planets are just rocks in space to me.  ;)
Including the one I am standing on.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 10:53:29 am »

So, depending on how you're defining 'embodiment' here, definitely not alone in this - there are whole philosophies of astrological magic in which the planets are the energies of the deities which are doing specific things.

(I am not in the embodiment camp, per se, but I am definitely in 'this is a way these energies manifest in our world'. Not 'the' way, in the sense of the only, but definitely one of the ones present.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »

Very interesting perspective, must have made looking up at the night sky quite fascinating, I'd imagine?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:55:20 pm »
Very interesting perspective, must have made looking up at the night sky quite fascinating, I'd imagine?
It did, in fact I talked to them a lot when I was in a ''home'' for people with autism.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 04:05:09 pm »
It did, in fact I talked to them a lot when I was in a ''home'' for people with autism.

I can relate to talking to the Stars. I talk to the moon, too. I see my deities up there.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 04:24:19 pm »

My deities are largely metaphorical, but the stars and worlds of our solar system, and beyond it, are definitely deities in my belief system. (An important class of gods called celestials, generative deities providing light and nurturing life.)

And we're connected to them, in that we (all us living things on Earth) and they share the same father, so they're our big brothers and sisters (albeit, because of their higher mother, one step closer to the ultimate divine, and therefore much grander and longer lived than us).

And for sure it changes how you look at the night sky!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:28:37 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 04:46:59 pm »
I can relate to talking to the Stars. I talk to the moon, too. I see my deities up there.

I saw them he as spirits, but not deities.
(I did not worship them)

Now I just see balls of burning gas.  :)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:51:40 pm »
I saw them he as spirits, but not deities.
(I did not worship them)

Now I just see balls of burning gas.  :)

Tangentially related, but...

Stars aren't living things as we understand the term, but they have defined lifespans--they're born, they grow old, and they die--and rather than being simple balls of gas, stars have complex internal structures.

And they sing:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13009718
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 12:56:56 pm »
Tangentially related, but...

Stars aren't living things as we understand the term, but they have defined lifespans--they're born, they grow old, and they die--and rather than being simple balls of gas, stars have complex internal structures.

And they sing:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13009718
Better stars then me, I HATE singing.

And the real thing is, are they sentient?  8)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 04:26:24 am »

Many, many cultures throughout what we know of human history have associated deities with celestial bodies - the sun, the moon, planets, stars, comets. There's a lot of variance in whether the celestial body is believed to be the actual physical presence of the deity, is intimately connected to the deity in some way, simply represents the deity, or has some other relationship.

Is that the same kind of thing you're talking about? Or do you mean something different?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 04:31:01 am »

Yes! Astrology is a part of greek pagan religion. :)
What you wrote isn't silly at all.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:27:59 am »

Nothing silly about that. In the public areas it's well known historically and, listening to Holsts Planets, they are certainly shown so in more recent years too.

As an interesting side tangent I recently read this ( from here - https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-space-and-time-could-be-a-quantum-error-correcting-code-20190103/ ) -
That year — 2014 — three young quantum gravity researchers came to an astonishing realization. They were working in physicists’ theoretical playground of choice: a toy universe called “anti-de Sitter space” that works like a hologram. The bendy fabric of space-time in the interior of the universe is a projection that emerges from entangled quantum particles living on its outer boundary.

Which to my mind makes me think how easy it could be for a planet ( or something/s else ) to be a projection of a deity...

Tags: