collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Path Confusion  (Read 1199 times)

Absinthe

• View Profile
Path Confusion
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:30 am »
Hello,
I consider myself a nocturnal witch or dark pagan, but it seems there is nothing to back it up. Would I just be a eclectic witch then? Because I cant find anything else that fits :(

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Path Confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:31:22 am »
Quote from: Absinthe;138875
I consider myself a nocturnal witch or dark pagan, but it seems there is nothing to back it up. Would I just be a eclectic witch then? Because I cant find anything else that fits

What you believe is a lot more important than what you call yourself. Figure this out and the monikers tend to create themselves.  Pro Tip:  you don't need to fit into a preexisting category.

Brina

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »
Hello,
I consider myself a nocturnal witch or dark pagan, but it seems there is nothing to back it up. Would I just be a eclectic witch then? Because I cant find anything else that fits :(

What sort of things would "back up" your being a nocturnal witch or dark pagan? How are you defining those terms?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Absinthe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 02:55:26 pm »
Quote from: Jack;138895
What sort of things would "back up" your being a nocturnal witch or dark pagan? How are you defining those terms?

Nocturnal witchcraft is a common expression in the witchcraft world these days as a way of describing the side of witchcraft that is darker. That's not to say it's "black magick" but that it looks more to the darker perspective and embraces the energy of the night and the Moon.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
Quote from: Absinthe;138919
Nocturnal witchcraft is a common expression in the witchcraft world these days as a way of describing the side of witchcraft that is darker. That's not to say it's "black magick" but that it looks more to the darker perspective and embraces the energy of the night and the Moon.

Okay, so a quick google search for nocturnal witchcraft brings up two Llewellyn books by the occultist Konstantinos, and a thread on wicca.com that seems to emphasize the "we're misunderstood" and that the intent of an action is what determines its ethicality. (Which I note, later in the thread, is all derived from Konstantinos' stuff.) Perusing the Amazon reviews, it looks like Konstantinos' stuff is largely typical book Wicca with some gothic trappings, which given the titles of his other works is not surprising.

I see that you're new here, so I'll say this much: Llewellyn tends not to be well regarded as a source here at TC when it comes to religious texts. And the "nocturnal witch" stuff put forward by Konstantinos looks like cashing in on a gothic fad. That doesn't mean the practices or label can't be useful for you, but I don't think you're likely to find much in the way of specifics here at TC that will help.

That said: there are plenty of people here on TC that embrace the fact that the dark doesn't mean evil, and though I'm not coming up with names off the top of my head, I'm fairly certain there are people who incorporate lunar cycles and such into their magical practice. But the ooky-spooky gothic-flavored snowflake stuff tends to come across as such:

(I would like to note that I am not accusing you of being an ooky-spooky gothic snowflake. Just that these sorts of Llewelyn books tend to breed them, and people are wary because of that.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:37:38 pm by Juni »
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:22:34 am »
Quote from: Juni;138941
Okay, so a quick google search for nocturnal witchcraft brings up two Llewellyn books by the occultist Konstantinos, and a thread on wicca.com that seems to emphasize the "we're misunderstood" and that the intent of an action is what determines its ethicality. (Which I note, later in the thread, is all derived from Konstantinos' stuff.) Perusing the Amazon reviews, it looks like Konstantinos' stuff is largely typical book Wicca with some gothic trappings, which given the titles of his other works is not surprising.

I see that you're new here, so I'll say this much: Llewellyn tends not to be well regarded as a source here at TC when it comes to religious texts. And the "nocturnal witch" stuff put forward by Konstantinos looks like cashing in on a gothic fad. That doesn't mean the practices or label can't be useful for you, but I don't think you're likely to find much in the way of specifics here at TC that will help.

That said: there are plenty of people here on TC that embrace the fact that the dark doesn't mean evil, and though I'm not coming up with names off the top of my head, I'm fairly certain there are people who incorporate lunar cycles and such into their magical practice. But the ooky-spooky gothic-flavored snowflake stuff tends to come across as such:

(I would like to note that I am not accusing you of being an ooky-spooky gothic snowflake. Just that these sorts of Llewelyn books tend to breed them, and people are wary because of that.)

That's the best image ever.

Also the most appropriate response ever.  Konstantinos is just pure gawthic wankery - I bought his book on vampires when I was in my early twenties. It's not the worst thing I've ever read, but it sure wasn't anything special. I couldn't bring myself to read his 'Gothic Witchcraft' even then, though. Too embarrassing to bring to the counter.

To the OP: 'darker' witchcraft ain't no big thing. You're just into magic with less morality, sounds like. ('Nocturnal' makes me think you sleep all day, which must be heaven.) As for using the night and moon, a lot of magical paths do that. So you should fit right in here.

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:58:28 am »
Hello,

Based upon your descriptions later, this encompasses some of what I do as a witch.
Personally, I just refer to myself as a Pagan witch and I don't worry about the other descriptors. I'm neither a good witch, nor a bad witch. Neither black nor white.

As I patiently explained to a person of another religion once - you wouldn't walk up to a Christian, Muslim, or Jew and ask them - But are you a good XXXX, or a bad XXXX

Tags: