Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Past lives? Do I really have them?  (Read 6921 times)

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Past lives? Do I really have them?
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
My mind paces around the thought of actually having past lives.  I believe some people have them... Maybe everyone has them.  I don't know... I just have no indication that -I- have had them.  It's a very interesting topic... I mean, knowing what you were in a past life could greatly impact your spiritual journey in this life.

I feel like I'm rambling, and that I'm a bit depressed at the moment.  So many people have experiences with this and I never even had a hint...

~Talvi

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Past lives? Do I really have them?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:00 pm »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;16980
It's a very interesting topic... I mean, knowing what you were in a past life could greatly impact your spiritual journey in this life.

I never understood how that would be so. How do you think it would impact it?

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12:11 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;16982
I never understood how that would be so. How do you think it would impact it?

Well, some might think of our existance as a constant journey untill you reach the end or goal.  It's not neccisary to know one's past life, that is sure, but it would be nice because you could gain insight into what you have already accomplished and what you need to keep working on, or trying again.  And this is just a theory, but I've heard it could help uncover anxiety issues (which I deal with every day).  Say you drowned in a past life... That could be an explaination why you have an unexplainable fear of water.

I have a fear of showers at night...  Most of my panic attacks happen then.

I have no idea if this is even linked to my past life, but who knows.

This is all just theory! I think knowing past lives could help...

~Talvi

SariusImpariul

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://nightgolem.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »
My mind paces around the thought of actually having past lives.  I believe some people have them... Maybe everyone has them.  I don't know... I just have no indication that -I- have had them.  It's a very interesting topic... I mean, knowing what you were in a past life could greatly impact your spiritual journey in this life.

I feel like I'm rambling, and that I'm a bit depressed at the moment.  So many people have experiences with this and I never even had a hint...

~Talvi

Well all souls can die just as souls can be born. That's why not all souls ave past lives, people don't need to have past lives. If you do have past lives though most don't remember things from those lives without learning methods of regaining memories. Sometimes feelings from past lives can leak in to a current life too so if you think a past life is effecting you it can be good to know and help you figure your current self out a little better. The question on if you do or don't have any past lives though, I strongly believe only ones self can answer.

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:26:04 am »

~Talvi

Tibetan Buddhism says that yes, we're reincarnated. However: We're not reincarnated wholly, as another version of "self," every time. I think Juni's description/understanding of it explains the process, as it's understood and taught in TB, very well: It's like a glass of water, that's poured into and refilled from a bucket. It's still water, but it's not the same water. Different water molecules blend every time, some the same as the previous one, some different. Maybe we'll realize it, maybe we won't. Whether we do or not doesn't really make much difference, but we might have clues or glimpses/memories every now and then.
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:44 am »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;16986
Well, some might think of our existance as a constant journey untill you reach the end or goal.  It's not neccisary to know one's past life, that is sure, but it would be nice because you could gain insight into what you have already accomplished and what you need to keep working on, or trying again.  And this is just a theory, but I've heard it could help uncover anxiety issues (which I deal with every day).  Say you drowned in a past life... That could be an explaination why you have an unexplainable fear of water.

I have a fear of showers at night...  Most of my panic attacks happen then.

I have no idea if this is even linked to my past life, but who knows.

This is all just theory! I think knowing past lives could help...

~Talvi

honestly, having a fear of showers at night sounds more like your parents were watching an old Hitchcock film when you weren't quite old enough to remember consciously, but it branded into your brain.

Seriously, doesn't EVERYONE that takes a shower at night in a slasher flick die?  and any other horror-style genre?

MaanWolvin

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:57 am »

~Talvi

Hello, it's an interestic topic: when I was on the ICU in the summer of 99' I saw some flinches of my past lives. I saw my twin soul and already knew my niece was pregnant before she knew or I could have known. I call it the Shaowland. Many wicca's try to become in some kind of state to see things of the future or do rituals but for me it was a natural coping mechanism.

I'm not sure wether everyone has a past live it depends on what your core beliefs: a chistian probably would think differently. And experience things differently.

I was near dath but I for a example never was in a tunnle of light!

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;17062
Tibetan Buddhism says that yes, we're reincarnated. However: We're not reincarnated wholly, as another version of "self," every time. I think Juni's description/understanding of it explains the process, as it's understood and taught in TB, very well: It's like a glass of water, that's poured into and refilled from a bucket. It's still water, but it's not the same water. Different water molecules blend every time, some the same as the previous one, some different. Maybe we'll realize it, maybe we won't. Whether we do or not doesn't really make much difference, but we might have clues or glimpses/memories every now and then.

Hmm... I see.  I might have had glimpses...?  Sometimes smells bring back these pictures that I don't ever remember seeing.

Sulfur brings a picture of barbed wire fences with a smoking factory in the background...very very dreary and depressing.

Dragon's blood incense brings a picture of a beautiful temple in some remote forest.

I have no idea if these are reflections of past lives or something else.. I just never see them unless that smell comes up.

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 04:18:55 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;17076
honestly, having a fear of showers at night sounds more like your parents were watching an old Hitchcock film when you weren't quite old enough to remember consciously, but it branded into your brain.

Seriously, doesn't EVERYONE that takes a shower at night in a slasher flick die?  and any other horror-style genre?

haha It's not that I have a fear of being slashed... it's... more like loosing feeling in my body and freaking out because I don't feel myself anymore..and also the small, wet, and somewhat dark place. Yeah, it's straight up anxiety issues. ^^;

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »
Quote from: MaanWolvin;17119
Hello, it's an interestic topic: when I was on the ICU in the summer of 99' I saw some flinches of my past lives. I saw my twin soul and already knew my niece was pregnant before she knew or I could have known. I call it the Shaowland. Many wicca's try to become in some kind of state to see things of the future or do rituals but for me it was a natural coping mechanism.

I'm not sure wether everyone has a past live it depends on what your core beliefs: a chistian probably would think differently. And experience things differently.

I was near dath but I for a example never was in a tunnle of light!

That's really interesting. I'm sure you have definately experienced -something- from a different plane of reality... Hmm.  I'm studying Shamanism, and while I'm not ready to do journeys, I wonder if that's the same place we would be essentially traveling to...Shadowland.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:45:49 pm »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;17187
haha It's not that I have a fear of being slashed... it's... more like loosing feeling in my body and freaking out because I don't feel myself anymore..and also the small, wet, and somewhat dark place. Yeah, it's straight up anxiety issues. ^^;

You wouldn't necessarily have to have a fear of being "slashed." It could be that (hypothetically) what you may have seen as a child scared you then, but was repressed until you were old enough to start taking showers late at night. Then the vague memory sort of crept out of your subconscious memory bank.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:56 pm »
I mean, knowing what you were in a past life could greatly impact your spiritual journey in this life.

OK, different things to say about this topic.
While - yes - I do believe in a kind of reincarnation, I also believe firmly, that we are provided in every single existence with everything we need to deal with our issues.

There is zero need to go back to past life experiences to deal with problems one is having currently.

This is because: we do not continue to be 'we'.
It has been stated already. What you perceive as 'you' is unique to this one existence. So in a certain sense we live only once. There is no re-run for Tana, Talvikki or Michael Jackson. These persons are there only for one time. So we should care for the existence we are having.

Also, think about it: Could there be a reason we don't remember by default past lives? I mean, could be like, you turn 21 and woooosh, you remember being a starving farmer 200 bc, being a slaughtered foot soldier in some little meaningless battle in Asia Minor, being the mother of 13 in 1638, being a whatever...

Not everybody could've been a queen or something else with a bit glamour.

There is a reason we usually don't remember.
We're supposed to focus on our current life.

Also while it is often our Ego that likes to be flattered or entertained by the past life thing, the Ego is what does not survive. The 'I' stopps to exist and is replaced by a new one. Kinda new person.

So yes, some people remember, or have glimpses, but that's just like some folk is clearvoyant, or good with energy work, or a bit telepathic - it doesn't mean it is super special or required to be a pagan, a witch or just to go on with your life. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 03:09:55 pm »
Quote from: Tana;17198
There is a reason we usually don't remember.
We're supposed to focus on our current life.

Also while it is often our Ego that likes to be flattered or entertained by the past life thing, the Ego is what does not survive. The 'I' stopps to exist and is replaced by a new one. Kinda new person.

So yes, some people remember, or have glimpses, but that's just like some folk is clearvoyant, or good with energy work, or a bit telepathic - it doesn't mean it is super special or required to be a pagan, a witch or just to go on with your life. ;)

Your whole post was extremely helpful. *sigh* I do feel much better now...  I will just keep living as Talvi and make her life a wonderful existance!

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:29 pm »

~Talvi

Past lives are tricky things I believe.  But what is a past life at times to me has proven more difficult to figure out.

For instance I have memories of being a woman that are clearly not my own.  Yet I also know from where they originate, they are my mother's from when she was a teen.  Prbably a good ten years before I was conceived.  Along with those are memories of another time that my mother swears are from her grandmother.

I've always been told those are biological memories not past life memories.  They're things that are passed down from each generation but only go to the point of our births.  In most instances through the mothers line as they are the ones who actually carry the unborn child and contribute memories while in the womb.  Outside memories maybe found but mostly again they are carried or passed through the mother's line.

I have two distinct memories of dying in WWII.  These are triggered by things about me and make me flash back to them.  One is triggered by the smell of oil and a heavy breeze and then I am a waist gunner on an early model B-17 and get killed on a mission.  The other is also triggered by external things such as confined spaces and the smell of diesal and oil with salt water.  That triggers the memory of dying in the Pacific on an old S-boat type submarine.  What further complicates these is I know the two men are brothers but I have no immediate family that died in such conditions in WWII.

A third memory is similiar to the above two but this one is triggered by a strong wind and the flapping of flags or banners in the air above me.  In that one I am one horseback and carrying some sort of banner when we are attacked.  The atire places me in the early mid-evil period I think, probably 10 - 13th century time frame.  I get thrown and the staff of the banner breaks and splinters and goes through my side and I die.

Yet I can not say they are past life memories though they might be something simiilar.

Now here is the warning part of this scenario.  In the late 80's and into the 90's there was many legal battles initiated because of false memory recall and implants.  A lot of families were torn apart because people underwent regression theropy and were suddenly discovering they had many abuse issue covered up that came to light in the regression.  A large number of them sexual abuse by a parent.  The only problem was that in every case I saw the memories were false and planted by the regression theropist and not real.  It was so wide spread that it became a big issue in some of the psychology departments.

The other side of the coin was that many also had what I call creation memories (sorry don't recall the actual term that was used).  These memoires many times were found to be from the early stages of life and were fragments of things they had heard, seen or such and imprinted them on their minds.  A lot of them being movies that they either were traced to the first year or two of life or potential things heard while in the womb.  It frightened the mother and the fright became imprinted upon the child.  Probably not unsimiliar to the old notion that a child could be disfigured because the mother was scared and the child took on that imagery.

In most cases I have read that are considerd valid reincarnation and past life memories they have occured in the same familiy lines or so close that people actually remember or recall the original life time.  Not only recall but can take you to where they once lived and identify items to be found there.  Many times seeming to be no more than one or two generations apart from initial life to reincarnation / past life recall.

Personaly I think if you focus upon what might have been a past life issue then you've failed in this lifetime.  One can become so entranced in trying to figure out the old life they fail to live this one.  Then any lesson's or experiences you were supposed to have now are lost as you try to recapture what you've already experienced.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
Quote from: Talvikki Wyntersong;17424
I will just keep living as Talvi and make her life a wonderful existance!

Now that sounds like some great plan. :)
Glad to be of assistance.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Tags: