Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Voices of Faith: Is any religion really a religion of peace?  (Read 1498 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Voices of Faith: Is any religion really a religion of peace?
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:51:19 am »
Voices of Faith: Is any religion really a religion of peace?
Nov 21, 2012 The Kansas City Star

VOICES OF FAITH: IS ANY RELIGION REALLY A RELIGION OF PEACE?

DEFENSE OF MORALS CAN BE EXCUSE FOR VIOLENCE

The Rev. Pat Rush, pastor, Visitation Catholic Church: Religions can be religions of peace without their adherents always being peaceful people.

Jesus' farewell gift was the gift of peace: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you."

His earliest followers were against all war and violence, practicing Jesus' teaching that when slapped on one cheek, we should offer the other.

Then in the early fifth century St. Augustine, who was personally a pacifist, concluded that even though individuals could, perhaps should, be pacifists, states could not be such since they had the responsibility of protecting their citizens. So he began developing what we have come to know as the just war theory.
Read more at http://www.arcamax.com/religionandspirituality/religiousnews/s-1237113-805050#OfsQOimyIZ7iIfzx.99

How does this concept apply to you and/or your path?

For me it does not, I believe all paths have a piece of the truth that is valid for those who follow it, but may not be valid for those who do not follow it.
Insisting that a non believer follow it is not a correct spiritual thing to do.  

In the story it touches on the Crusades, which was supposed to be about reclaiming the Holy Land, I find it strange that those who went were promised amnesty for all past and any future sins, and crimes committed in the cause of redeeming the Holy Land.  And they got to keep whatever they carried home.

If you go to war to protect you home say so, if it is to gain someone else's property say so.  Granted some of those who went believed they were doing what they were called to do.  

But killing someone because of what you believe,  never has and never will change what, that person believes.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Tags: