collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Offensive Deity Statues  (Read 28408 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Offensive Deity Statues
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2016, 12:51:11 pm »
Quote from: Louisvillian;188064
But, my understanding is that there are a few Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wiccans who more or less outright stated that the Horned God spoken of was called Cernunnos when they met for rituals. Doreen Valiente and Stewart Farrar amongst them, and I figure them to be fairly reliable sources about British Traditional Wicca.

If they factually stated that the name of their god was 'Cernunnos' then they were in violation of their oaths and their reliability as sources is potentially questionable as a result.

If they said that their Horned God can be referred to by a title/handle that basically means 'Horned God' for public consumption, while preserving the actual name used in private ritual according to what is at least my understanding of BTW oaths, that is a different thing.  If they are actually reliable sources, that is also far more likely.

Without knowing exact words I do not know how I would read the statement.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2016, 05:55:03 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;188074
If they factually stated that the name of their god was 'Cernunnos' then they were in violation of their oaths and their reliability as sources is potentially questionable as a result.

And if they were giving false names and thus kept their oaths...their reliability as sources is even more questionable since they would have just blatantly lied. It's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' kinda scenario. Maybe she figured the oath was no longer valid, for whatever reason? Or the gods communicated that they didn't care if their identities were made public? Her reasons are entirely subject to speculation. But Doreen Valiente is a reliable source for just about everything else about Gardnerian Wicca, to my understanding at least, so I'm going to take her on her word on this one.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;188527
And if they were giving false names and thus kept their oaths...their reliability as sources is even more questionable since they would have just blatantly lied.

Only if you think giving a usename is lying.

I think that position is blatantly ridiculous, myself.

Am I lying every time I refer to one of my gods as Big Red?  That's utterly silly.

Are other people lying every time they call me "Darkhawk"?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:14:57 am by Darkhawk »
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: