collapse

Author Topic: Numbers That Strike a Chord in You  (Read 8538 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Numbers That Strike a Chord in You
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:18:39 pm »
Bouncing off this Shapes That Strike a Chord in You thread, this time I'd like to know what numbers have special spiritual significance for you, if any.

for me--

3--I love how it moves beyond duality yet maintains simplicity...and it's a recurring favorite across many cultures: the Hindu Trimurti, Christianity's holy trinity, the neopagan maid/mother/crone, etc.       

12--a beautifully symmetrical number, and the smallest number that divides neatly into halves, thirds, and quarters

pi--a number with a non-repeating decimal without end--and it's inextricably bound to the greatest (IMHO) of shapes, the circle. There's something profound there.

e--this is another transcendental number like pi, but far less well known. Where many of the esoteric-minded gravitate towards phi (the golden ratio), e fills that role better for me: a number that seems to offer a glimpse into the harmonies of the universe. I don't understand the math behind it (it's the base of the natural logarithm, which seems to be a fancy way of saying it emerges when things grow by compounding...or something), which only makes it more of a mystery and therefore more alluring. But it seems to pop up all over nature, and in fact golden spirals (governed by phi proportions) are a subset of logarithmic spirals (governed by e...or something).

Both pi and e show up in Euler's identity, widely considered the most beautiful of all equations.

What numbers have spiritual meaning for you?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

sevensons

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Numbers That Strike a Chord in You
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 06:50:05 pm »
Bouncing off this Shapes That Strike a Chord in You thread, this time I'd like to know what numbers have special spiritual significance for you, if any.

for me--

3--I love how it moves beyond duality yet maintains simplicity...and it's a recurring favorite across many cultures: the Hindu Trimurti, Christianity's holy trinity, the neopagan maid/mother/crone, etc.       

12--a beautifully symmetrical number, and the smallest number that divides neatly into halves, thirds, and quarters

pi--a number with a non-repeating decimal without end--and it's inextricably bound to the greatest (IMHO) of shapes, the circle. There's something profound there.

e--this is another transcendental number like pi, but far less well known. Where many of the esoteric-minded gravitate towards phi (the golden ratio), e fills that role better for me: a number that seems to offer a glimpse into the harmonies of the universe. I don't understand the math behind it (it's the base of the natural logarithm, which seems to be a fancy way of saying it emerges when things grow by compounding...or something), which only makes it more of a mystery and therefore more alluring. But it seems to pop up all over nature, and in fact golden spirals (governed by phi proportions) are a subset of logarithmic spirals (governed by e...or something).

Both pi and e show up in Euler's identity, widely considered the most beautiful of all equations.

13 the lov3 number what was they thinking when choosing this one.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:45:23 pm »

Well, first and foremost for me is 7...and this dates back to well before I knew the background on my Girlfriend. Back to intermediate school when the teacher had us memorize the decimal equivalents of all fractions up to the twelfths. For sevens, it's...:
  • 1/7 = .142857 (repeating)
  • 2/7 = .285714 (repeating)
  • 3/7 = .428571 (repeating)
  • 4/7 = .571428 (repeating)
  • 5/7 = .714285 (repeating)
  • 6/7 = .857142 (repeating)
  • (And 0/7 = 0 and 7/7 = 1, obviously!)
See the pattern? And you can generate it beginning with 14/100s. Double the numerator, square the denominator, add, and you have .1428. Double the numerator again and add another factor of 100 to the denominator, add again, and you have .142856. Do it again, and you have .14285712. Again, and you have .1428571424...and so on, and so on, with a limit which goes to .142857 (repeating). I thought that was nifty even back in (wait for it)...7th grade!

Another set of numbers I find handy, although perhaps not in a religious sense, are the whole number answers to the right-angle Pythagorean theorem...3, 4, 5; 5, 12, 13 and so forth. I'm old enough that I took math classes before calculators were a big thing; many teachers set their word problems up so that they would reduce to one of these sets if you parsed the question properly.

Finally, there are two numbers which have no real religious meaning but do have a personal meaning to me from the world of transportation. The first would be '1225'...my current avatar is a photo of Pere Marquette 1225. I volunteered on its restoration project back in the early '80s when I was really supposed to be studying in college. After I went in the Navy, I asked my God that if he ever wanted to give me an 'attaboy', just let me see that number pop up unexpectedly. And, so help me, it popped up all over the place (still does!). At the Naval Academy, one of the upperclassmen once ordered me to a 'come-around' bitch-out session. He told me, "You be outside my door at exactly 12:25!" He still doesn't know why I broke out laughing!

The other would be '727'...my first airplane ride, at the tender age of six, was in a 727. I always liked them. But it was after I got a job at Hobby Airport and had a chance to see 727s from every conceivable angle every day...head on, rear view, profile, overhead, up close, far distant...that I realized that the profile of that airplane is perfect. There's not a bad line on the entire airframe; the proportions are impeccable. It's almost as good as a pretty girl. So, when I see one (and they're getting rare these days, unfortunately), well, it brings to mind (you kinow who!)....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:47:26 pm by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:27:31 pm »

I'm quite fond of the number 5; I think it's because of something I read/watched when I was younger, but I can't remember what - it might be from playing Riven (where 5s come up a lot) but I feel like it was earlier than that. Maybe Watership Down? Also, with Egyptian cosmology involving a lot of 2 and 4, 5 is the 'outside' number (like 13 is to 12-based systems).

pi, because as a button I have puts it, it's 'irrational but well rounded'.

27, for being 3^3. much more 3-ness than just plain 3, if that makes any sense.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 08:55:41 pm »
I'm quite fond of the number 5; I think it's because of something I read/watched when I was younger...

Alt Text for Inclusivity: Multiplication Rock - Counting by Fives (Here I Come!)
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 09:08:35 am »

Finally, there are two numbers which have no real religious meaning but do have a personal meaning to me...The first would be '1225'...The other would be '727'...

And they both showed up, completely unexpected, within 24 hours. Yesterday I was cooking a French Toast brunch and had the oven on to 'puff' it, railroad style. When I took it out to eat and shut the oven off, the clock came back up on the display. It was exactly 12:25 p.m. This morning I climb in the car to drive home from work, and I see that my odometer is at exactly 167,727 miles.

Not saying that any of this has Cosmic Significance, but I take it as an indication that Somebody up there loves me. But I knew that already...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:11:40 am by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen