collapse

Author Topic: Naming children after the gods  (Read 3693 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
Re: Naming children after the gods
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:14:07 am »
So, epithets are fine, but baby names are not? I'm curious why you think that? How is one of those things bad and the other acceptable? Both are giving divine names to mortals, just in different contexts.
Yes, epithets are fine and derivatives. In my opinion giving the exact name of a God is not nice. I think the names of the Gods are sacred. They are a conduit between us and the Gods. We shouldn't use sacred names to address common people.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:02 am »
Yes, epithets are fine and derivatives. In my opinion giving the exact name of a God is not nice.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but what if an epithet is the exact name of a God?
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 01:34:26 pm »
Perhaps I'm not understanding you, but what if an epithet is the exact name of a God?
it depends on the language, how people use the name and the epithet.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:03 am »

I think as Hindus we see it differently because the names of the Hindu gods are adjectives, not proper nouns. Actually virtually all names are adjectives, including ours. For example, my real name (first and middle) is Frank Jason, meaning "free man" and "healer", respectively. My last name is a metonym for an occupation. So if we name a child Durga, Shiva, or Krishna, we are calling the child invincible, auspicious, or attractive (or dark), respectively. Maybe for some religious systems, certain adjectives that become proper names, are reserved for the gods. I can then understand that using the name Zeus, cognate with other IE words for God (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus#Name), would be to call a child God.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 09:36:58 am »
I think as Hindus we see it differently because the names of the Hindu gods are adjectives, not proper nouns. Actually virtually all names are adjectives, including ours. For example, my real name (first and middle) is Frank Jason, meaning "free man" and "healer", respectively. My last name is a metonym for an occupation. So if we name a child Durga, Shiva, or Krishna, we are calling the child invincible, auspicious, or attractive (or dark), respectively. Maybe for some religious systems, certain adjectives that become proper names, are reserved for the gods. I can then understand that using the name Zeus, cognate with other IE words for God (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus#Name), would be to call a child God.
In Greece 90% of the population are Orthodox Christians. They never give the name ''Jesus" to babies. Also they might give an altered version of the epithet ''Christ'' to babies.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:05:21 am »
In Greece 90% of the population are Orthodox Christians. They never give the name ''Jesus" to babies. Also they might give an altered version of the epithet ''Christ'' to babies.

On The Other Hand, "Jesús" is one of the most popular names for boy babies in the Hispanic culture in this country and, I presume, Central and South America.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 03:18:03 pm »

And oddly, in Spanish-speaking countries the name Jesús is quite common. Btw, I don't know of any Italians named Gesù either. Come to think of it, Spanish usage of the name is about the only one I can think of.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 03:04:57 pm »
On The Other Hand, "Jesús" is one of the most popular names for boy babies in the Hispanic culture in this country and, I presume, Central and South America.
Yes, and I find it odd, actually. Why do they name the kid after Jesus?

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
And oddly, in Spanish-speaking countries the name Jesús is quite common. Btw, I don't know of any Italians named Gesù either. Come to think of it, Spanish usage of the name is about the only one I can think of.
I wonder do they name Jesus the boys in Spain? or only in latin america?

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 03:38:43 pm »
FWIW "Joshua" is a pretty common name where I live, and it's a Hellenized version of Jesus.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 04:17:43 am »
FWIW "Joshua" is a pretty common name where I live, and it's a Hellenized version of Jesus.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

An interesting discussion of the various Jewish names for Jesus from a Messianic Jew: Introduction to the names Yehoshua/Joshua, Yeshua, Jesus, and Yeshu.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:33 am »

I don't know, since Spain has a very different culture, and even dialects of Spanish, than Latin America.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 06:28:55 am »

Anyways, long story short, what is your opinion on using the names of gods and goddesses as baby names?
Deities names and characters of mythology are very very common in Ireland, so it's all good in the hood
Semper Fidelis

Tags: