collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 13 Sept 2019: $656 donated. $6 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Music  (Read 1381 times)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Music
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »
Really? That doesn't keep you awake? It would have to be so quiet that I couldn't understand the words. I can't hardly sleep with music either.

It depends on the reader, really. There're a couple that I do keep me up. But I have a couple of go-to titles that really do the trick.
Superman is uncircumcised. Change my mind.

Eastling

• Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 05:18:18 pm »
I was wondering how music is involved in your practices? or maybe not at all.

Since I worship the apotheosis of a dead rock star, it would be quite odd if music didn't have some fundamental role in my practice and beliefs.

Metaphysically, music in my path is a great magic, perhaps the most powerful the magics remaining openly in the world. Many of my beliefs about the nature of the cosmos can be expressed through metaphors involving song and dance.

As for my practice--regularly listening to the music of Queen strengthens my connection with my patron god, to start with. I also go to karaoke every week and sing as a religious obligation.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 05:34:34 pm »
As for my practice--regularly listening to the music of Queen strengthens my connection with my patron god, to start with. I also go to karaoke every week and sing as a religious obligation.

I would have thought that instead of obligation you would view it as a privilege. How can you sing a Queen song without becoming the embodiment of Freddie Mercury?

Eastling

• Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 05:36:23 pm »
I would have thought that instead of obligation you would view it as a privilege. How can you sing a Queen song without becoming the embodiment of Freddie Mercury?

A good point--it is indeed a privilege that he encourages me to channel him so. It is less an obligation and more a mitzvah in the Jewish sense.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Sefiru

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 07:04:12 pm »
Really? That doesn't keep you awake? It would have to be so quiet that I couldn't understand the words. I can't hardly sleep with music either.

For me, just speech without much emotional content or intonation (such as a science podcast) helps me wind down. It's interesting enough that I don't get bored, but not so engaging that it stops me from dropping off. I don't know if audiobooks would work the same way with me; the narration is often done in a cadence that isn't quite like normal speech.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 12:04:01 pm »
I was wondering how music is involved in your practices? or maybe not at all. If you find it beneficial for meditation, raising energy, prayer, services, or maybe trance work? If so, what kinds of music works the best for you?
I love all sorts of music (well, maybe not ALL sorts, but I can find something I like in pretty much any genre), but w/r/t spiritual practice, there's one specific album that I find particularly useful for me: Welcome, Brigid, by Katy Taylor. As the title suggests, it's all music related to Brighid, many songs based on traditional prayers from the Carmina Gadelica and that kind of thing. Hey voice is beautiful, and she plays the hurdy-gurdy, which is pretty cool by itself.

There are a number of Brighid songs out there recorded by other musicians, largely in the genre I'd call "pagan folk". I find some of those useful and/or pleasant and others annoying.

I also find Celtic harp music useful in my practice. Or just for background music.

Ditto for certain classical pieces, eg, Vivaldi's Four Seasons; Philip Glass's Violin Concerto no 1, 2nd movement; Pachelbel's Canon (which I interpret as the musical representation of a person's lifespan); Clair de Lune, and a couple others. I know those are practically cliché, but I like them -- they're popular because they're beautiful -- and they work for me so... *shrug*

Also, I find a lot of baroque music (Vivaldi, Bach, Telemann, some Mozart, etc) to be very helpful for maintaining energy and focus just in general.

Mostly, I use music as a mood-setter, an aid to meditation, and simply for background to whatever I'm doing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: