collapse

Author Topic: IS there an app for that?  (Read 626 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
IS there an app for that?
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:43 pm »
So I've been looking for something like this on and off for years and had no luck whatsoever; I was wondering if anyone else knew something that will do this:

A calendaring program that can put in events based on the phases of the moon.

You know, "Every month on the full moon" or "Two days after first quarter", or whatever.

(I have been trying to fake this with a moon calendar and doing the calculations off it but it is so annoying.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Senior Staff
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: IS there an app for that?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:58 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;113140
So I've been looking for something like this on and off for years and had no luck whatsoever; I was wondering if anyone else knew something that will do this:

You know, "Every month on the full moon" or "Two days after first quarter", or whatever.

(I have been trying to fake this with a moon calendar and doing the calculations off it but it is so annoying.)

I feel your pain. My yearning is for a calendar app that allows for repeating events that repeat every 20 days (Cill cycles).

I would think 'this event repeats every [dropdown with numbers] days' would be easier to code than lunar cycles, though.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:25 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;113140

I don't believe I've ever heard of calendar software that does that.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:25:28 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;113456
I feel your pain. My yearning is for a calendar app that allows for repeating events that repeat every 20 days (Cill cycles).

Man, that would be awesome too.

I would think 'this event repeats every [dropdown with numbers] days' would be easier to code than lunar cycles, though.

There are a lot of things that are willing to look up when astronomical events are for display, but none that will look things up and then do calculations about it.  Grumph.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:31 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;113456

Sunflower

All the calendars I've used on my phone do that.  In fact, I have my various cill shifts set exactly like that: "recurring event, every 20 days".  

When you set the event, click "recurring“.  One option you'll get is something like "daily".  If you click that, there will be options, one of which is "every x days" (or similar), with the ability to put in any number.

My phone's native calendar does this, as does Google Calendar.  I've also used an app called aCalendar and I'm currently using "Business Calendar" (or it might be "Biz Calendar" -- I don't remember), both of which do it.

I've never seen one that allows the kind of settings based on moon cycle that Darkhawk described, though.  There are several moon calendar apps out that track the moon's phases (I use LunaSolCal), and many calendars (including the ones I noted above) that show the phases, but I haven't seen anything that allows setting events based on phases.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;113472
All the calendars I've used on my phone do that.  In fact, I have my various cill shifts set exactly like that: "recurring event, every 20 days".  

When you set the event, click "recurring“.  One option you'll get is something like "daily".  If you click that, there will be options, one of which is "every x days" (or similar), with the ability to put in any number.

My phone's native calendar does this, as does Google Calendar.  I've also used an app called aCalendar and I'm currently using "Business Calendar" (or it might be "Biz Calendar" -- I don't remember), both of which do it.

I've never seen one that allows the kind of settings based on moon cycle that Darkhawk described, though.  There are several moon calendar apps out that track the moon's phases (I use LunaSolCal), and many calendars (including the ones I noted above) that show the phases, but I haven't seen anything that allows setting events based on phases.

Second the recurring alarm settings on the standard calendars.  The only other thing I've found that would let you get close to setting alarms on the phases is you can sync a Lunar Phase calendar to the Google Calendar (possibly others too) though it only shows full moon, new moon, first quarter, and last quarter.
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
Quote from: Nekomata;113498
Second the recurring alarm settings on the standard calendars.  The only other thing I've found that would let you get close to setting alarms on the phases is you can sync a Lunar Phase calendar to the Google Calendar (possibly others too) though it only shows full moon, new moon, first quarter, and last quarter.

Yes.  All of my phone calendar apps have had the option to show the lunar phases, but not to set events based on them.

I just spent a fair amount of time looking through calendar apps and didn't find any that do that.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:08:43 pm »

Yeah, my phone does that, too. But nothing Lunar. My datebook has the lunar phases in it, and that's a huge part of why I use it, but nothing technological that I've heard of. It's a great idea, though.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

SunflowerP

• Senior Staff
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:24:46 am »

I dunno - when I click 'daily' (using whatever), all that happens is that it sets to daily. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm not talking about cellphone apps (I don't even have a cellphone) - that's given me thoughts on non-obvious things to try, like right-clicking, though. (Specifically, to try on what I'm currently using - or forgetting to use :) - which is ReminderFox, an add-on on my FF browser.)

GCalendar mislikes me (there always seems to be something about my system that it doesn't want to play nice with) so - between that and my spoons issues over the past quite-some-time - I haven't been on the site in quite a while. But I'm pretty sure it didn't work like that (from the perspective of a desktop user) the last time I was the one updating the Cill's GCalendar (or, again, maybe it did but only if one poked at it in ways one wouldn't necessarily think of automatically/reflexively, and I didn't).

It's nice, even if not personally useful at this juncture, to know that it's becoming common, though. It always struck me as something that really shouldn't be difficult or code-bulky to include (unlike DH's wish).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: