collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 22 October 2020: $561 donated. Only $149 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

Author Topic: Ideal Deity Portrayals  (Read 8566 times)

sitara

• View Profile
Ideal Deity Portrayals
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 01:18:25 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;63226
For me I don't think there's just one ideal image of a deity, but I go for these criteria:

- the character of the deity should be expressed well

- the picture should be specific enough by depiction of its attributes so the deity is recognizable (within some attribute overlap of related deities)

- it's good when one or two of the deity's attributes are depicted, but not so many that the image looks overcrowded and artificial - they deity should look natural while displaying, holding or standing next to its attributes

- I like modern interpretations as much as images oriented on historic depictions, but it shouldn't look like something out of a fantasy comic or manga

I agree. I'm not primarily an idol worshiper but these are my criteria

-The idol should be 'traditional' and depict the god as described in lore
-The deity should not be thematic...only so much artistic license is allowed.
-The goddess or God bodies should not be overly buff or fit present-day stereotypes of what should be a perfect body..some goddesses are buxom and some gods are lean and some are half animal. They all shouldn't look like divine faces morphed on to barbie doll bodies :-P

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Ideal Deity Portrayals
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;63222
What images of deity do you fi
nd to be ideal or particularly well done?  What makes them so?

I have a very difficult time envisioning Brighid in human form.  I've only seen Her so in meditation once, and I think She chose that particular form and costume mostly for fun.  (Although, maybe I should honor that and try to commission some kind of rendering of Her like that...  Hmmm...)

So, I tend to go with symbols -- e.g., a Brighid's cross, a sun, a flame -- as my focal points.  I do have two very stylized goddess figurines, though.

This one ( http://www.dryaddesign.com/index.php/prod_detail/garden_venus/ ) was, IIRC, the first "pagany" item I bought, other than books, and remains on my Brighid shelf (although mine is an earthy brown, rather than white, and about 5.5" tall).

This one ( http://windstoneeditions.com/products/balance-ivory ), a version that is 2.5" tall and very dark blue, is part of my travel shrine.

To me, they are not *depictions* of Brighid, so much as depictions of Her essence.  If that makes any sense...

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Ideal Deity Portrayals
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;64162

To me, they are not *depictions* of Brighid, so much as depictions of Her essence.  If that makes any sense...

Actually that makes a lot of sense to me.  Brighid is one of those deities that elude me when trying to get a mental picture of them in any sort of anthropomorphic form.  I can get a feel for Her essence, but I can't begin to say what she looks like.
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
Re: Ideal Deity Protrayals
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;63996
I just discovered this site and I thought I was going to share:

http://www.museumize.com/museum-reproduction-statues-replica-sculptures-s/20.htm

I went to this site and I love their Athene statue!  Thanks for the link.

http://www.museumize.com/Pallas-Athena-Standing-with-Nike-Statue-p/g-041sm.htm
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Ideal Deity Portrayals
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;64165
Actually that makes a lot of sense to me.  Brighid is one of those deities that elude me when trying to get a mental picture of them in any sort of anthropomorphic form.  I can get a feel for Her essence, but I can't begin to say what she looks like.

I find it continually fascinating to see the diversity of images artists conceive for Brighid.  Sometimes I can find the same spark of Her essence that I feel, and other times I just see a Celtic Barbie doll.  ;)

I think the ancient Celts had a goodly chunk of the truth of it to not portray their gods in human form.  While I know They can take any form They choose, I think They might tailor that form to the needs of the individual observer.  So different people see Them differently.  But I think we might *feel* them very similarly.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 05:38:58 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;64176
I find it continually fascinating to see the diversity of images artists conceive for Brighid.  Sometimes I can find the same spark of Her essence that I feel, and other times I just see a Celtic Barbie doll.  ;)

I think the ancient Celts had a goodly chunk of the truth of it to not portray their gods in human form.  While I know They can take any form They choose, I think They might tailor that form to the needs of the individual observer.  So different people see Them differently.  But I think we might *feel* them very similarly.

*nods*

I may have said this elsewhere before but I notice that Hellenic gods seem to enjoy 'dressing' in an human shape more than Celtic deities. The Morrigan for me is always a  *larger than life* sort of feeling more than any visual association - She rarely bothers giving me any glimpse of a fixed shape unless I am meeting Her in meditation. And when I picture Her, a loadly croaking hooded crow comes to my mind easier than an human form. Aine tended to come across more as a soft glow of light than anything else, back to when I approached Her.
 With Greek deities, on the other hand, communication is more often than not accompanied by some kind of visual imput - an impression of a certain face or certain colors.  

Which is possibly with them I feel appropriate to be very picky with their altar imagery.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;64134
Hah, flipping through their Egyptian section I now know where my Set statue came from (I got it in a random antique-and-kitsch shop).  Now I know where to point people who want a Set statue that doesn't suck.

Their kemetic things are awesome!
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;64146
Thanks for the link.  Some nice looking items on the site.

You are welcome. Of course, it's just my luck that the one thing they have not is an altar appropriate Apollo representation.

Altough... if they had had that, the shipping would have probably killed me so...

I liked your souvenirofgreece.com link - they had a nice variety without going overboard with the prices.

Quote from: Carnelian;64153
Wow, I want everything on this site. They even have Minoan pottery!

I know, I think I might live inside their shop and never move. Those mirrors! and the jewerly and... everything!
Icon by jewelotus

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;64162
I have a very difficult time envisioning Brighid in human form.  

So, I tend to go with symbols -- e.g., a Brighid's cross, a sun, a flame -- as my focal points.  
~ Aster

That's the same for me.  This is the reason why I don't have a statue of Brighid on Her shrine.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;63222

This is the statue I have of Loki. :)

http://www.magicalomaha.com/yhst-87418216457022_2076_41158846.jpg

I agree with others, I would rather have a statue that captures the essence of the deity.

Tags: