Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Do you dress for your service?  (Read 4658 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Do you dress for your service?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;55338
Does your practice have a dress code?  Do you have one for yourself during services?
How do you feel if you are not dressed, as you think you should be, for your practice, while engaged in it?

During my pagan years, I felt I needed to keep my feet, midriff and as much of my back as possible bare for ritual. What I actually wore beyond that was of secondary importance.

My new church is pretty much 'smart casual'. There are jeans and leather jackets seen around, but no tracksuits. There's a lot of standing, so sensible footwear is a must (the number of skyscraper heels at the Resurrection service made me hurt just by looking!) I tend to pick long gypsy skirts and loose tops. At home I pray and meditate in yoga pants and t-shirts or tank tops, barefoot. It's not dressing up, but doesn't feel inappropriate.

The Russian Orthodox tradition is big on headscarves for church, the rest of us not so much, but I'm considering some experimentation with that as well.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »

Does your practice have a dress code?  Do you have one for yourself during services?
How do you feel if you are not dressed, as you think you should be, for your practice, while engaged in it?

For Kemetics, we wear white traditionally.  I have white shirt and pants I wear to perform my daily ritual.  If I'm in front of my shrine and not doing ritual, I try to be clean and wear clean clothes.  I'd say cleanliness is the most important part here.  

For the Orisha, I just wear clean clothes.  I'm not in any Orisha House.  I don't have any more really white outfits than the one I use for the Kemetic Powers and it feels wrong to use that outfit for the Orisha too.  So I just try to wear clean clothes.  

For Frigga, I wear clean clothes.  I normally dress pretty modestly.  I would feel uncomfortable otherwise.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

fjfritz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://divineguidewithin.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:37 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;55410
My tradition uses clothing as a ritual tool - most commonly setting aside an outfit for ritual use only, so that when you put it on, you begin the process of transitioning from daily mindset to ritual mindset.

Totally what my coven does. I use my robe (bought at Deva about ten years ago) as both a tool for focus but also a tool for use. The robe has pockets for my stuff, is lightweight so perfect for rituals in which a lot of movement takes place (like ours) and doesn't flow enough to be a fire hazard.

I don't wear it for any other time. Just ritual. But that works for me so I think it really comes down to what works for you.

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 10:37:13 pm »

Since I live in scrubs 50+ hours a week, I tend to dress up a little more than most of the congregation when I attend Church. Makes me feel a little more human and like a productive member of society.

During my practice, I am usually skyclad because it's more comfortable...if it is chilly, I will wear a short robe, either black or white (because they are my favorite robes). On the nights when my kids are still roaming the house, I will add a short nightgown under the robe, and if there are other house guests, I forgo practicing all-together.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 12:59:25 am »
Quote from: fallenangel;56744
Since I live in scrubs 50+ hours a week, I tend to dress up a little more than most of the congregation when I attend Church. Makes me feel a little more human and like a productive member of society.

If you wear real scrubs (for working in, not to just look cool in), then you are a productive member of society.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;56760
If you wear real scrubs (for working in, not to just look cool in), then you are a productive member of society.

Thank you...there are times that I have to wonder though.

ConjureWitchery

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://conjurewitchery.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
Does your practice have a dress code?  Do you have one for yourself during services? How do you feel if you are not dressed, as you think you should be, for your practice, while engaged in it?

When I attend Church I will wear business casual. When I'm doing tarot readings or helping friends do work for themselves, I dress comfortably unless it's a special occasion, then it's business casual again.

However, when I'm doing ritual work or special cleansings, blessings, or magical workings that require me to transcend myself, then I wear a white robe with a hood.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:09:16 pm by ConjureWitchery »
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

Tags: