Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Devotion and Love  (Read 10170 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Devotion and Love
« on: October 17, 2019, 05:41:47 pm »
I am still in the process of doing an overhaul of my spirituality.  I am not starting over exactly, just examining what is important to me and rebuilding it in a new context.

There were some aspects to my spirituality that were requiring more work than I was willing to put in for the amount of benefit I was getting, especially when my long term interests are taken into account.  I understand that spirituality requires work, but it is up to me to decide which work is worth it.

I am not doing much in terms of prayer right now, although I am still devoted to the Four (as I refer to them), and one of my projects is to make some modest purchases since I have some extra money coming in to make a small shrine specifically for them.

In terms of my devotional life, I am also evaluating what is important to me.  Context is very important to me, so that is why some of my devotions are on hold until I find the correct context for myself and those involved.  But in the meantime, I feel a sense of great love and devotion that I still need to express.  So how to go about expressing that?

I have been feeding a stray cat, and the idea has come to me to build a little shelter for her outside.  I am not willing to take her into my home at this time given that I already have a cat, and I am concerned about introducing a new animal.  She will also need to go to the vet to make sure she is spayed and has her shots and a general checkup.

But that is my next project to express devotional love in my life.  I don't necessarily need to go on some big search to find those opportunities unless I just really want to.  The opportunities are already in front of me.  Devotional love may often be thought of in other contexts, but I have for some time had the sense that it can be expressed to my fellow creatures as well.

If anything has influenced me from my Episcopal background, it would have to be this need that I have spiritually to express my love, but not because of a command from on high, as if love can really be summoned on command.  (And one of my Christian friends does have an interesting take on that matter.)

Rather, it is a part of my nature that brings me deep fulfillment and peace, and in nurturing that flame of love, I nurture my very soul.  Though I am also reevaluating my sense of divinity, if I believe in an immanent aspect to divinity or divinities, this is a fitting way to express it.

It is a wonderful feeling to make my little world a better place.  Given that my spirituality has much to do with relationships, this is a part of my spiritual commitment.  The benefit is not one sided when it comes to helping this cat.  If the only benefit I get from it is a deep sense of fulfillment, that is enough!  Because that is what I most want out of my life -- to feel fulfilled, to have a sense of inner abundance.

I don't really have many questions about this topic, although I would be interested in hearing from other perspectives.  Is a commitment to other earthly creatures a part of what devotion means to you?
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Devotion and Love
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:58:34 pm »
I am still in the process of doing an overhaul of my spirituality.  I am not starting over exactly, just examining what is important to me and rebuilding it in a new context.

There were some aspects to my spirituality that were requiring more work than I was willing to put in for the amount of benefit I was getting, especially when my long term interests are taken into account.  I understand that spirituality requires work, but it is up to me to decide which work is worth it.

I am not doing much in terms of prayer right now, although I am still devoted to the Four (as I refer to them), and one of my projects is to make some modest purchases since I have some extra money coming in to make a small shrine specifically for them.

In terms of my devotional life, I am also evaluating what is important to me.  Context is very important to me, so that is why some of my devotions are on hold until I find the correct context for myself and those involved.  But in the meantime, I feel a sense of great love and devotion that I still need to express.  So how to go about expressing that?

I have been feeding a stray cat, and the idea has come to me to build a little shelter for her outside.  I am not willing to take her into my home at this time given that I already have a cat, and I am concerned about introducing a new animal.  She will also need to go to the vet to make sure she is spayed and has her shots and a general checkup.

But that is my next project to express devotional love in my life.  I don't necessarily need to go on some big search to find those opportunities unless I just really want to.  The opportunities are already in front of me.  Devotional love may often be thought of in other contexts, but I have for some time had the sense that it can be expressed to my fellow creatures as well.

If anything has influenced me from my Episcopal background, it would have to be this need that I have spiritually to express my love, but not because of a command from on high, as if love can really be summoned on command.  (And one of my Christian friends does have an interesting take on that matter.)

Rather, it is a part of my nature that brings me deep fulfillment and peace, and in nurturing that flame of love, I nurture my very soul.  Though I am also reevaluating my sense of divinity, if I believe in an immanent aspect to divinity or divinities, this is a fitting way to express it.

It is a wonderful feeling to make my little world a better place.  Given that my spirituality has much to do with relationships, this is a part of my spiritual commitment.  The benefit is not one sided when it comes to helping this cat.  If the only benefit I get from it is a deep sense of fulfillment, that is enough!  Because that is what I most want out of my life -- to feel fulfilled, to have a sense of inner abundance.

I don't really have many questions about this topic, although I would be interested in hearing from other perspectives.  Is a commitment to other earthly creatures a part of what devotion means to you?

Ok, I'm not sure if I'll be going slightly off topic with this reply but your post just makes me think of something I've been mulling over while looking through this forum.. How some people view devotional practice ( and magic work ) as something seperate from being ones self and yet others see being themselves as part or all off these things.

Caring about and for others around me is part of me and yet it is also putting a part of me out there ( devotional ).

I read about people who use magic to make themselves stronger to do what they need to; people who offer actions and words as offerings and in doing so change a little bit around them.

It seems a more powerful and creative offering to my mindset. Although I don't see that people doing it another way are wrong, this is just how my way is.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 06:18:01 pm »

Part of my project is complete!  I have created a small shelter for this little Friend.  I am so grateful for the opportunity!

Thoughts on spirituality and tradition may soon follow in a separate thread.
My personal moral code:

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:02:08 am »
Part of my project is complete!  I have created a small shelter for this little Friend.  I am so grateful for the opportunity!

Congrats on project completion.

I think I might like to pick your brains about how you made the shelter for this little stray kitty friend, if that'd be okay.

I'll also try and add a 'proper' reply to this thread in due course, too.

ETA congrats
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »
Congrats on project completion.

I think I might like to pick your brains about how you made the shelter for this little stray kitty friend, if that'd be okay.

ETA congrats

Yes, that might be useful as I am inexperienced, but I have a medium sized tub with a blanket and pillow and cut two "doors" into it on either side.  I'm hoping she will use it tonight since it will be cold.
My personal moral code:

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 01:21:44 pm »
Yes, that might be useful as I am inexperienced, but I have a medium sized tub with a blanket and pillow and cut two "doors" into it on either side.  I'm hoping she will use it tonight since it will be cold.

Aw I hope she uses it too - is that like a gardening type tub, or household storage type?  Did you have to add any features for security, or will it be located in a reasonably secure area already, like a backyard?  Thanks!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 02:12:55 pm »
Aw I hope she uses it too - is that like a gardening type tub, or household storage type?  Did you have to add any features for security, or will it be located in a reasonably secure area already, like a backyard?  Thanks!

It is a household tub.  It is in my yard in a safe area.
My personal moral code:

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 04:16:20 pm »

It is a household tub.  It is in my yard in a safe area.

Thank you - there's a cat which lives on a neighbour's doorstep in my street and I worry about him when the cold weather sets in, but not sure what I can do as there's very limited room at the front of the terraced property to provide a shelter and anything provided would be at risk of vandalism & etc.
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 03:31:39 pm »
Ok, I'm not sure if I'll be going slightly off topic with this reply but your post just makes me think of something I've been mulling over while looking through this forum.. How some people view devotional practice ( and magic work ) as something seperate from being ones self and yet others see being themselves as part or all off these things.

When I saw your post, Anon, it had me wondering whether you'd seen this previous thread yet:

https://ecauldron.com/forum/theory-and-practice-of-magic/is-prayer-a-form-of-magic/msg219665/#msg219665

Here it is, though it turns out it's not very extensive.

Though I am also reevaluating my sense of divinity, if I believe in an immanent aspect to divinity or divinities, this is a fitting way to express it.

It is a wonderful feeling to make my little world a better place.  Given that my spirituality has much to do with relationships, this is a part of my spiritual commitment.

The first line of the OP quoted above reminded me that I previously pondered the immanent nature of divinity.  Probably something I should be continuing to ponder.  Perhaps I'll make another thread around this at some stage.

The second line is something I can certainly concur with.

Is a commitment to other earthly creatures a part of what devotion means to you?

I wouldn't have thought of it in these terms, but I think the answer is definitely a yes.  Both creatures, and my fellow humankind.  Also the earth herself, in many ways.  Yes.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: