Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Blue Giants and Others in Dreams  (Read 2012 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Blue Giants and Others in Dreams
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
I've had three dreams now that included blue beings that were up to no good.

The first involved becoming aware of a gandalf-like man (I took it as Odin) with his back to me, and he was trying to talk with a gigantic being. The skin was blue and the hair was a prism of color that seemed to float behind it. The being had thisuu ghastly smile and aura. It was like a completely hedonistic being. It wasn't something you could reason with or count on for compassion because it would do whatever it wanted to in the moment. But it wasn't malicious...it just was. And also psychotically happy.

The second blue being I saw in a dream was coming across the horizon. He was so large the lower half of his legs were hidden by the curvature of the earth. He wore a golden metal skullcap. He was grim but also not malicious.

The third was last night, and he was average size, with a Mr. Bean type face and curly hair. But that's not even right because he kept shifting and changing into something that we might find familiar and comfortable with. It was an exhausting dream because I had to keep a guard up and not be fooled. We couldn't chase him off because then we'd anger him, we just had to play mindgames with him as he sat on a couch, or tried to call me over. He left in a truck with a wink and I had the feeling he won.

So...I don't normally share things like dreams but I'm curious if anyone happens to have an opinion on this. Checking through google images the only thing I'm finding are the gods of India, who do share common roots with heathenry.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Blue Giants and Others in Dreams
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:35:55 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;67205

I can't think of any deities that are blue like this and in any way fit the events described. Sorry.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;67206
I can't think of any deities that are blue like this and in any way fit the events described. Sorry.

What about symbology? In the last dream I planted the same number of trees in my yard as children that I have, and I know trees represent descendents, family. (Also seen in the lore.)

Dreams suck because you never know if its a legitimate symbol or just the brain hashing out symbols that you've read of. Blue is new to me, though.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »

So, take it for what you will (I'm also viewing this in context of the fact that you're heathen), but my first thought was that Odin (or, whoever it was) was bringing you around to either greet these beings, or at least observe how he dealt with them. The last figure, at least, smacks remarkably similar to Loki to me.

Now, it doesn't necessarily mean it was Actual Odin, Actual Giants, and maybe-Actual Loki. It could simply be a way for your brain to process your relationship with giants (or just Odin, or etc.), or someone sending you a message. If you're so inclined and have someone you trust, you could have someone do some sort of divination for you (or, do it yourself?).

UPG, so YMMV, but blue-faced or -skinned deities to me signal really powerful spirits of creation-destruction. The shakers, the movers, the creators, etc. etc. Like you found out, a number of Indian deities are blue-skinned in certain forms. Cailleach also has a form where she is blue-skinned. Not entirely sure if frost giants are blue skinned (are they?). Then again, Loki is not a frost giant, so. :P

So, take this for what you will. I'd say your next step would be some sort of divination on the matter, maybe to learn what you're supposed to take from the dream (regardless of whoever is involved with it, if at all?)?
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:02:55 pm »

So...I don't normally share things like dreams but I'm curious if anyone happens to have an opinion on this. Checking through google images the only thing I'm finding are the gods of India, who do share common roots with heathenry.

I have questions. What, if anything, did these characters try to say to you? Did they repeat anything? Did they change size? And did they give you anything? Do you think they could have all been one being trying to find the form in which to best reach you? Do you remember the location?

Sorry for the questions! Your dreams seem a little familiar to me. But if you can dig back and try to remember, there may be clues as to who and why. Sometimes I can't remember things like the questions I asked unless someone asks me or unless I am explaining the dream again.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;67213

So, this is interesting. I did a search for the symbolism of the color blue and skimmed a few articles (The color of the rainbow in Snorri's Edda,Rainbow, colours and science mythology).

In ON there wasn't really a color-differential between blue and black. While reading about that, Ymir was mentioned. He's the primordial giant and it's the blue sky that is actually seen as his skull. Also, the volva that Odin raises from the dead has bones described with this blue-blue black-black word, and the dead are also described this way.

A by-name for Ymir is Blainn. There is also a VidBlainn(sp?) mentioned in a list of heavens. In a list of dwarves there is a Blainn, Nainn,  and Dainn mentioned. Blainn means hel-color, Nainn means corpse, and Dainn means death. Dwarves are often compared to the dead because they live underground, and are the color of the corpse. Jotuns, which Ymir was, are also theorized to be the death eater demons.

Recons tend to fall into their own individual niche. Some people focus only the Franks, some people focus on American Germanic heathenry, some focus on women in heathenry. Because of my friend's suicide I tend to be pretty obsessed with death, especially as I dreamed of him leaving this world without knowing he was actually dying at the same time. Oh!, another blue symbol is Odin's mantle, the god of the hanged (Friend), the shaman, and the collector of the dead.

So, I have no idea what this means, if it means anything at all. I know that a whole world of new research in this area has opened up to me, which is funny because I had decided to let go just last week. Like, it wasn't healthy to keep denying this boundary between the dead and the living you know? And then, two days after that my friend's father called me for the first time in forever because he felt like telling me he loves me. And I still tried to shake it off. And now this, which feels like another window opening.  I also have a creeped out feeling, though,  and it perfectly matches the feel of the dreams.

I guess I'll just keep being the little engine that could.

[/crazy, delusional, in denial post]

(...and no joke, friend's mother called me as soon as I finished typing this in notepad.)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;67209
Not entirely sure if frost giants are blue skinned (are they?)

In a Google image search that I just did for "frost giants" they are alllll blue. Not even ice blue.

Quote from: Juniperberry;67228
I have no idea what this means, if it means anything at all. I know that a whole world of new research in this area has opened up to me, which is funny because I had decided to let go just last week. Like, it wasn't healthy to keep denying this boundary between the dead and the living you know? And then, two days after that my friend's father called me for the first time in forever because he felt like telling me he loves me. And I still tried to shake it off. And now this, which feels like another window opening. I also have a creeped out feeling, though, and it perfectly matches the feel of the dreams.

Perhaps the giants represent forces larger than yourself, that you are being forced to reckon with? This could be in your own life, with some pretty gigantic concepts like death playing out very personally. Or it could be in your spiritual practice, attuning your perspective and perception so that you no longer "miss the forest for the trees." You see the forest, and the trees, now-- but that certainly doesn't mean at all that anything is smaller. You know? I imagine that shift in consciousness would come with growing pains, such as a creepy-maybe-sort-of-vertiginous feeling.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 12:23:39 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;67232
In a Google image search that I just did for "frost giants" they are alllll blue. Not even ice blue.

I had to check for myself. You're right. The one with Thor before the frost giant is similar to my first dream, except size wise he (Odin?) only went up to the giant mid-shin. These two beings were massive.

Perhaps the giants represent forces larger than yourself, that you are being forced to reckon with? This could be in your own life, with some pretty gigantic concepts like death playing out very personally. Or it could be in your spiritual practice, attuning your perspective and perception so that you no longer "miss the forest for the trees." You see the forest, and the trees, now-- but that certainly doesn't mean at all that anything is smaller. You know? I imagine that shift in consciousness would come with growing pains, such as a creepy-maybe-sort-of-vertiginous feeling.

Definitely. I'm not a full on literalist when it comes to the gods. I like the abstract concepts, such as Jormungandr being the "snake" of the known boundary surrounding civilization from the wild and not a snake snake. Dreams and dream imagery were a very large part of heathenry, and if these concepts/beings take on certain forms in the lizard brain then that's acceptable to me. That's not to say that these beings don"t exist, they do.

It's worth noting that when Brunhild rides to Hel she has to answer to a giantess, as does Freyja when she wants to lineage of whatshisname who has died. The connection of giants to death seems pretty clear.

Also, to clarify, my expectations for discovering these symbols of death is to learn the language of it that the people of the past knew. The dead weren't gone to them in the way that we see it now and they continued to play a part in the lives of the living. To understand the language of the dead, the patterns and symbols and techniques, is what I'm attempting to do.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:25:09 am by Juniperberry »

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 01:03:47 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;67235
I had to check for myself....

I  had to have a look at  google to  on this one, interesting!

I also found this  site http://hafapea.com/norsepages/norse.html  if you  read the  little  bit about the Jotun (Giants)  under there is  some  interesting stuff  about the  Giants and descriptions  of them. Odin is  mentioned in there as  having  dealings with one of the giants. Don't know if this will help but I figured can't hurt to  share it. :)
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 01:18:08 am »
Quote from: Jubes;67238
I  had to have a look at  google to  on this one, interesting!

I also found this  site http://hafapea.com/norsepages/norse.html  if you  read the  little  bit about the Jotun (Giants)  under there is  some  interesting stuff  about the  Giants and descriptions  of them. Odin is  mentioned in there as  having  dealings with one of the giants. Don't know if this will help but I figured can't hurt to  share it. :)

Thanks. And thanks also to the other posters. Everyone said something helpful and gave me something to chew on.

I get excitable about !new information! but the more it sinks in the less convinced I am that it was something truly meaningful and not just subconscious backwash.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 01:36:12 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;67240
Thanks. And thanks also to the other posters. Everyone said something helpful and gave me something to chew on.

I get excitable about !new information! but the more it sinks in the less convinced I am that it was something truly meaningful and not just subconscious backwash.

A google book on dreams and mythology suggests that these giants are the dreams of warriors/over-achievers. People afraid to show a weakness will see these huge, otherworldy adversaries that they have no hope of overcoming.

It would make sense that giants are associated with death, since it's the one thing that no one --not the strongest warrior nor the best of gods-- can overcome. Death isn't a positive either, its the great unknown, so it's guarded by these negative and mysteries entities.

So, yeah, I think I'm running into these. I wouldn't say that they're all completely psychological/internal, but rather a real encounter seen through abstraction?

Tags: