collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Any Christo-Pagans?  (Read 2728 times)

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Any Christo-Pagans?
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
I could not think of a better term than Christo-Pagan, although I only worship Christ.

I struggled a lot with Christianity growing up, because of the way it was presented to me. I dabbled in Agnosticism here and there, but always believed in a Higher Power. I was drawn out of my Protestant upbringing to the Catholic Church. From there, I found the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church.

At that Church, I feel like I am home. I feel intense peace and belonging. Yet, I still believe that religious beliefs fall on a spectrum. I dabble in energy work and Tarot cards still, but not in anyway that runs contrary to Christianity. I use energy work and Tarot readings as my own inner insight.

Is anyone else like this? I still feel weird about it, because I know many Christians would reject me upon hearing this, but at the same time, they are my true feelings.
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Jack

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Location: Cascadia
  • Posts: 3168
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 90
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115323
Is anyone else like this? I still feel weird about it, because I know many Christians would reject me upon hearing this, but at the same time, they are my true feelings.

 
I've heard of Christo-Pagans, and I've also heard of Christian Witches. I have also known plenty of people who simply call themselves Christian but do reiki or energywork, viewing it as a gift from God, or who use tarot cards or engage in spiritism and so on.

I had a Catholic Sorcery phase a few years ago, and I'm always happy to talk theology, but I'm probably not quite what you're looking for. :)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:16:57 pm »
Quote from: Jack;115324
I've heard of Christo-Pagans, and I've also heard of Christian Witches. I have also known plenty of people who simply call themselves Christian but do reiki or energywork, viewing it as a gift from God, or who use tarot cards or engage in spiritism and so on.

I had a Catholic Sorcery phase a few years ago, and I'm always happy to talk theology, but I'm probably not quite what you're looking for. :)

I am thinking Christo-Pagan is not exactly the best term for what I am, as I worship One God.

Orthodox Christian with Spiritual Leanings?

I would probably get more suited responses if I had an accurate term lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:17:28 pm by Elizabeth »
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2456
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 161
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115323
Is anyone else like this? I still feel weird about it, because I know many Christians would reject me upon hearing this, but at the same time, they are my true feelings.


Hello!  You are part of a minority, to be sure, but that does not in any way make your feelings less legitimate.  There are definitely other Christo-pagans, Christian witches, etc., who definitely fall outside the religion's traditional camps.

May I suggest taking a look at Jesus Through Pagan Eyes: Bridging Neopagan Perspectives with a Progressive Vision of Christ by Rev Mark Townsend.  The first half contains the author's insights (he's former Church of England, currently a Druid) and the second half is short essays from various Big Name Pagans(tm).
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2456
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 161
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115325
I am thinking Christo-Pagan is not exactly the best term for what I am, as I worship One God.


Who says being 'pagan' means having to worship more than one?  ;)
After all, if you're Trinitarian, it could be said you worship Three (who are One.)
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:23:07 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;115326
Hello!  You are part of a minority, to be sure, but that does not in any way make your feelings less legitimate.  There are definitely other Christo-pagans, Christian witches, etc., who definitely fall outside the religion's traditional camps.

May I suggest taking a look at Jesus Through Pagan Eyes: Bridging Neopagan Perspectives with a Progressive Vision of Christ by Rev Mark Townsend.  The first half contains the author's insights (he's former Church of England, currently a Druid) and the second half is short essays from various Big Name Pagans(tm).

 
Thank you for the book recommendation. Through inter-state loan, I was able to order it to be sent to my local library. Excited to get it!
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;115327
Who says being 'pagan' means having to worship more than one?  ;)
After all, if you're Trinitarian, it could be said you worship Three (who are One.)

 
During the Divine Liturgy, when reference is made to the All Holy Trinity, I am quite often reminded of Brighid, because she is a "trinity" as well.

Of course, I would never mentioned this to anyone in Church, especially my Priest :whis:
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2456
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 161
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115328
Thank you for the book recommendation. Through inter-state loan, I was able to order it to be sent to my local library. Excited to get it!


You're welcome.  I think it'll help you explore the 'contradictions.'  Also, the way the author depicts Christ is very... real.  In a sense.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2456
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 161
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:28:32 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115329
During the Divine Liturgy, when reference is made to the All Holy Trinity, I am quite often reminded of Brighid, because she is a "trinity" as well.


Don't know anything 'boout Brighid being triune, but you're probably better off not mentioning that sort of thing to the Priest.  :)
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:58 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;115332
Don't know anything 'boout Brighid being triune, but you're probably better off not mentioning that sort of thing to the Priest.  :)

 
By the way I see most people on here talk about Brighid, she is seen as One, though I have seen the occasional mention of her triune attributes.
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Jack

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Location: Cascadia
  • Posts: 3168
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 90
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115325
I am thinking Christo-Pagan is not exactly the best term for what I am, as I worship One God.

Orthodox Christian with Spiritual Leanings?

I would probably get more suited responses if I had an accurate term lol

 
Here's some possibly useful links!

The Path of a Christian Witch
A Christian Witch?
Christian Witchcraft

The last one has a ton of other links as well.

The important thing is not what you call yourself, IMO, but what you believe and how comfortable you are with your practice.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Elizabeth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 10:41:35 pm »
Quote from: Jack;115334
Here's some possibly useful links!

The Path of a Christian Witch
A Christian Witch?
Christian Witchcraft

The last one has a ton of other links as well.

The important thing is not what you call yourself, IMO, but what you believe and how comfortable you are with your practice.

 
In the last link, it seems that her articles are down, but the outside links work.

Thanks!
Quote
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Sophia C

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: London, UK
  • *
  • Posts: 1982
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 24
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Gaelic-tinged polytheism, quite attached to Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian heretic, some Christian stuff
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:26 am »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115323
Is anyone else like this? I still feel weird about it, because I know many Christians would reject me upon hearing this, but at the same time, they are my true feelings.

I used to call myself Christo-Pagan. It's been a while, though - I eventually decided that my beliefs were so far from Christianity that the term didn't really fit. The funny thing is that almost nothing about my beliefs changed when I became a Pagan. I hadn't believed in the divinity of Christ or the trinity or substitutional atonement for years. I just became more acutely aware that I didn't hold beliefs that other Christians did, not least because I was adding beliefs (like honouring many gods) that I knew they'd have a problem with. It doesn't sound like you have that issue, which will help!

A whole lot of folk magic around the world takes place in Christian contexts. You might find it interesting to research hoodoo, or Catholic folk magic that works with saints. I continue to do saint-based magic (I have an altar to several saints) and to use hoodoo in a Christian framework (since that's how it's most widely practiced). I also continue to consider myself influenced by Gnosticism and Celtic Christianity. I didn't convert - I've just been on a long spiritual journey that reached a new turn in the road.

I hope you find peace with the differences in your beliefs. I know enough Christo-Pagans and Christian witches to know that it's possible.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Nyktelios

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 562
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:44 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;115323
I use energy work and Tarot readings as my own inner insight.

 
I think those are more occult/New Age than "pagan".

Sage

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 2186
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Any Christo-Pagans?
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;115442
I think those are more occult/New Age than "pagan".

 
The line gets blurry, especially since there's no standard definition of Pagan. Energy work and divination can be used across religious lines, after all.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
2327 Views
Last post January 23, 2012, 07:01:15 am
by Holdasown
110 Replies
12921 Views
Last post July 18, 2015, 07:33:39 pm
by RecycledBenedict
86 Replies
9888 Views
Last post July 05, 2012, 11:24:15 am
by DancesWithHorses
17 Replies
4930 Views
Last post July 28, 2015, 04:26:00 pm
by Demophon
14 Replies
1930 Views
Last post February 23, 2017, 11:12:43 am
by Sarah

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall