Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Advice on Interpreting a Dream?  (Read 2533 times)

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Advice on Interpreting a Dream?
« on: December 24, 2011, 05:29:23 pm »
For a little background, I've been debating with myself just how out of the broom-closet to be. I've decided to be honest when asked and not hide my religious objects and symbols in my dormroom.

In the dream, I'm getting ready to leave a classroom after a final and am complaining to my friend how there aren't any Pagans at my school. Tom, my professor, gives me a serious look and hands me a slip of paper where he has written: "Word to the wise. Don't tell the entire world you're Pagan." I'm filled with anger and frustration that he thinks that's necessary and feel exposed. I walk into the hallway feeling sick and struggle to vomit in my dormroom trashcan.

What I can't figure out is what I'm supposed to take from this: Should I listen to my professor, who I have the greatest respect for in real life, and protect myself in being more discreet? Or is the thought at concealment making me sick, and I should listen to my instinct and be open?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Interpreting a Dream?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:40:30 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;36302

The professor could be a symbol for control and authority.
The warning written on the paper, could be both: an advice or really a warning from your subconscious mind.

What I could think of, is that your head and your heart are in conflict over this matter.
What you'd like to do is to stand wholeheartedly behind being pagan, but your intellect is considering possible dangers and problems coming from this.

This resulting in the dream's conflict that was even carried on a physical level, with feeling sick.

Maybe it will be just the best to react according to the situations, that arise.
I wouldn't set anything in stone for myself at this point.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
Quote from: Tana;36305
The professor could be a symbol for control and authority.
The warning written on the paper, could be both: an advice or really a warning from your subconscious mind.

What I could think of, is that your head and your heart are in conflict over this matter.
What you'd like to do is to stand wholeheartedly behind being pagan, but your intellect is considering possible dangers and problems coming from this.

This resulting in the dream's conflict that was even carried on a physical level, with feeling sick.

Maybe it will be just the best to react according to the situations, that arise.
I wouldn't set anything in stone for myself at this point.

Hmmm... Thanks so much for articulating that so clearly for me. I think you're right. I also think this is especially on my mind at Christmas because I'm jealous that Christians can be so peacefully open about their religion and I can't.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;36306
Hmmm... Thanks so much for articulating that so clearly for me. I think you're right. I also think this is especially on my mind at Christmas because I'm jealous that Christians can be so peacefully open about their religion and I can't.

I think Tana's thoughts are pretty spot on, on this.  It sounds like the teacher is a figure of authority and wisdom, and is the representing the part of your brain giving you rational advice.  This makes your emotional side that wants to take the stand sick.  

It is also important that the note doesn't say to keep it an absolute secret, though.  It says not to tell "the entire world."  The way I personally deal with this is as follows:

If it becomes important for some reason, or if someone asks me directly, I will be forthcoming about it, but I don't need to broadcast to everyone what I believe or practice.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:56:37 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;36306

I don't think I can completely agree on you on that because now there are laws saying we can't say merry Christmas. I"m converting from Christianity and from experience I really didn't like it when they proposed it.
R03e

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »
Quote from: R03e;37053
I don't think I can completely agree on you on that because now there are laws saying we can't say merry Christmas. I"m converting from Christianity and from experience I really didn't like it when they proposed it.

Ok, BS: there are no laws that say you can't say merry Christmas," it's more of a politically correct thing.  There's a *big* difference.  Although the whole thing is ridiculous, law or no.  We still have a right to free speech in this country (for the moment).  Being encouraged to say happy holidays or whatever is something a company or person might do to avoid hurt feelings, but it is NOT something you can be fined or thrown in jail for.  

When it comes to dreams, it's important to figure out what each element in the dream represents to the dreamer.  What might symbolize one thing to a person might mean something completely different to another.  

To the OP: I'd try journaling about the parts of the dream and try asking yourself what your impressions are of each part.  What does each thing/person/whatever mean to you? what is it's purpose? If you could take that imagine out of your head and have in sit in a chair across from you what would it say?  Could you roleplay it?  These techniques I've found can be really helpful in figuring out what the message of the dream is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:39:24 pm by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Advice on Interpreting a Dream?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »
Quote from: R03e;37053
I don't think I can completely agree on you on that because now there are laws saying we can't say merry Christmas.

Not true. That myth has been around for years, but it's not true, just part of the poor-persecuted-Christian-minority fallacy. The war on Christmas doesn't exist, only the expectation that the real minority religions should have the right to exist and be acknowledged too, and that isn't an attack on the majority.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;36302

In the dream, I'm getting ready to leave a classroom after a final and am complaining to my friend how there aren't any Pagans at my school. Tom, my professor, gives me a serious look and hands me a slip of paper where he has written: "Word to the wise. Don't tell the entire world you're Pagan." I'm filled with anger and frustration that he thinks that's necessary and feel exposed. I walk into the hallway feeling sick and struggle to vomit in my dormroom trashcan.

What I can't figure out is what I'm supposed to take from this: Should I listen to my professor, who I have the greatest respect for in real life, and protect myself in being more discreet? Or is the thought at concealment making me sick, and I should listen to my instinct and be open?

One thing that stands out to me is the transistion in your dream.  Your finishing a final which indicates a conclusion of a stage or class.  Then you add in that your getting ready to leave said class so it moves the urgency of the situation to the forefront. In someways indicating you can't just hide behind one door ie the class you've been attending.

There's also a sense of aloneness.  Yet the professor to me says to "Don't tell the whole world" is not so much a statement to keep quiet but to evaluate.  Your lonely and that makes you vulnerable and open.  It's not about not looking to me its about not blindly looking and making yourself a target.  Not even a target in the sense of someone attacking but more so in the sense that you might be easily manipulated.

Think of the number of naive people that are pulled into really bad pagan situations because they are alone in their mind and go looking without evaluating.  Think of it alone the lines of going to a party when you know nothing about the people there and your alone.

The other facet is if you get sick and feel exposed by his action then the question becomes one of 'WHY?"  YOu want to meet other pagans, a professor responds to action with a possible sense he is pagan yet you feel exposed.  Not only exposed but also angered at being outed and sick at the though.  A sensation that seem's to counter the opening of your dream when your speaking about there being no pagans there.

It also flies in contridiction in that you loose your uniqueness of being the only one.  Somewhat of a loss of a special place in that your no longer important but another face in the crowd.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;37058

To the OP: I'd try journaling about the parts of the dream and try asking yourself what your impressions are of each part.  What does each thing/person/whatever mean to you? what is it's purpose? If you could take that imagine out of your head and have in sit in a chair across from you what would it say?  Could you roleplay it?  These techniques I've found can be really helpful in figuring out what the message of the dream is.

Ha, yeah, that's exactly what the book I'm reading about dream interpretation says to do. I just haven't taken the time to formally do that yet. I definitely need to, though.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;37062
One thing that stands out to me is the transistion in your dream.  Your finishing a final which indicates a conclusion of a stage or class.  Then you add in that your getting ready to leave said class so it moves the urgency of the situation to the forefront. In someways indicating you can't just hide behind one door ie the class you've been attending.

There's also a sense of aloneness.  Yet the professor to me says to "Don't tell the whole world" is not so much a statement to keep quiet but to evaluate.  Your lonely and that makes you vulnerable and open.  It's not about not looking to me its about not blindly looking and making yourself a target.  Not even a target in the sense of someone attacking but more so in the sense that you might be easily manipulated.

Think of the number of naive people that are pulled into really bad pagan situations because they are alone in their mind and go looking without evaluating.  Think of it alone the lines of going to a party when you know nothing about the people there and your alone.

The other facet is if you get sick and feel exposed by his action then the question becomes one of 'WHY?"  YOu want to meet other pagans, a professor responds to action with a possible sense he is pagan yet you feel exposed.  Not only exposed but also angered at being outed and sick at the though.  A sensation that seem's to counter the opening of your dream when your speaking about there being no pagans there.

It also flies in contridiction in that you loose your uniqueness of being the only one.  Somewhat of a loss of a special place in that your no longer important but another face in the crowd.

Thanks for bringing my attention back to the beginning of my dream. I'd been really only focusing on what my professor told me and the feeling sick part because they were the most intense aspects of the dream. I *am* lonely, you're right. And I definitely feel vulnerable. My trusted hallmates directly asked me what my religion was and then proceeded to forget, making me feel betrayed. That feeling was definitely the background for the anger I felt towards my teacher. I don't think my professor is hinting that *he* might be Pagan, but instead just giving off an "I won't judge you, but other people will" sort of thing. Maybe part of it comes from my anonymous shout-out on the school chat website. I wanted to know if there were any other Pagans and whether they wanted to talk or get together on Sabbats. Two people said they were pagan, two people mocked Pagans in general, and nobody wants to get together, ever.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:23:33 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;37086
Thanks for bringing my attention back to the beginning of my dream. I'd been really only focusing on what my professor told me and the feeling sick part because they were the most intense aspects of the dream. I *am* lonely, you're right. And I definitely feel vulnerable. My trusted hallmates directly asked me what my religion was and then proceeded to forget, making me feel betrayed. That feeling was definitely the background for the anger I felt towards my teacher. I don't think my professor is hinting that *he* might be Pagan, but instead just giving off an "I won't judge you, but other people will" sort of thing. Maybe part of it comes from my anonymous shout-out on the school chat website. I wanted to know if there were any other Pagans and whether they wanted to talk or get together on Sabbats. Two people said they were pagan, two people mocked Pagans in general, and nobody wants to get together, ever.

Your welcome.  Something you may consider is that fact the professor is a mis-director of intent and purpose, what some might call being a contrary in the dream.  By position he should be a point of logical authority and direction but is actually being used as a point of emotion and non-action.  You'd expect him to guide and tell you how to go about it but to try and halt while he removes energy and thrust of direction makes him the opposite.

The other facet, a guess on my part, is that he is the persona of the whole "School".  The so called hallowed halls of learning and openess you'd hope and expect to find yet again its the contrary for your finding none of it.  Again a sense of unfulfilled expectation, possibility a forbodding sense of un-obtainable need and support within the system.

Saddly I think your falling into the trap created by the modern pagan outlook of being ecclectic and somewhat individualistic in slant.  To become part of a group is to give up or atleast modify one's uniquiness and focus while they move within the group.  In the old initiation systems we gained strength and individuality through the group with the supporting structure to encourage and support us.

The funny part I suppose is that in many ways the coven is like a sorority on campus.  There is strength in numbers, share a focused goal and sense of direction, recognize longevity within the group, share a group mind yet also pursue our individual paths and the individual mindset to get there.  Encourages the development of our weaknesses, development of our strengths yet throughout the whole thing "Our" is a sense of the group strength which masks the sense of the individual, yet serves to develope and refine it through out the whole process.

It's a poor substitute I suppose but you are part of a group or coven though it's more detached.  That is the group or coven if you think that is formed here on this site itself.  It is here you can develope your mind and self identity which ironically you'll find increaces the air about you which I have found increases the likelyhood of being drawn to other pagan's about me.  Especially in regard to finding the groups and situations they move in for there are still a great many coven's or groups that will not respond through open sources nor look for member's who pursue those avenue's either.

Perhaps my age or the circles I moved in but I found over the years many established groups didn't reveal themselves on campus.  A great many assuming, probably wrongly, that spirituality and religion were the last thing the students were concerned with.  I suppose at times thinking so many can't choose a major and see it through without change that how can they do so with something that will influence and impact their entire lives and all facets of it.  Admitly I was one of those myself when it came to looking at bringing students into groupings I worked with though I hope that is one change I have incorporated into myself.

Though I would ask which is more important, That your friends remember what spiritual / religious pathway you follow or that they accept you for you regardless of which spiritual / religious pathway you walk?  That question might be the first step to finding a group on campus.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:14:40 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;37093

Though I would ask which is more important, That your friends remember what spiritual / religious pathway you follow or that they accept you for you regardless of which spiritual / religious pathway you walk?  That question might be the first step to finding a group on campus.

I'm part of a very small campus, so it's entirely possible that there isn't a group. I was considering starting one based on the reply of my anonymous shout-out, but since I got such a limited response, there's nothing to be done. I really wish I had friends on a similar path, but I'd be happy if they would just respect it.

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;37058
Ok, BS: there are no laws that say you can't say merry Christmas," it's more of a politically correct thing.  There's a *big* difference.  Although the whole thing is ridiculous, law or no.  We still have a right to free speech in this country (for the moment).  Being encouraged to say happy holidays or whatever is something a company or person might do to avoid hurt feelings, but it is NOT something you can be fined or thrown in jail for.  

When it comes to dreams, it's important to figure out what each element in the dream represents to the dreamer.  What might symbolize one thing to a person might mean something completely different to another.  

Oh yeah, I was up late by that time so I was only paying attention to half of what I was typing. Also sometime I can't quite remember the words that I need so my first thought was law. what ever. I was just trying to point out to her the chirstians don't have completly openness.
R03e

Tags: