collapse

Author Topic: Working With Runes 101  (Read 1800 times)

coxy123

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Working With Runes 101
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:43 am »
Hi everyone

I've recently brought my first set of elder futhark runes and the little guide book it came with was, unsurprisingly, next to useless!  I've ordered a few books on the topic but was wondering if any people here had a good knowledge of runes and divination using runes?

Thanks
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.

And if you haven\'t heard enough!  http://frostsworn.blogspot.co.uk/

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Working With Runes 101
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:39:13 am »
Quote from: coxy123;80337
Hi everyone

I've recently brought my first set of elder futhark runes and the little guide book it came with was, unsurprisingly, next to useless!  I've ordered a few books on the topic but was wondering if any people here had a good knowledge of runes and divination using runes?

Thanks

I'm sure a fair few of us have a decent amount of knowledge regarding the Runes. The thing is, if you're asking for the knowledge here... be prepared to be reading a book or 5 in this forum line itself. I would really recommend reading the books you've ordered first and then asking specific questions in the threads. It's a lot of information...:)

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »
Hi everyone

Thanks

I agree with Laveth, you will find a number of us in this forum with, cumulatively, a large amount of experience with runes and runelore. There is simply too much depth to the subject to even attempt to impart in a single thread.  You would be better served by reading the books the books you have otdered, and maybeby inquiring what books others have found useful. As you read, and learn, if you have particular questions and insights, then share them here.

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »
Hi everyone

Thanks

Learning rune layouts(casting) is easy. Interpreting is not easy and will take a lot of time. If you stick with it you'll just keep getting better.

That said, I'm not into rune divination but rune magic. If you check out rune magic you'll see that they can be used for many things plus divination. And you'll get to know the runes personally by using them. It's hard to find a respectable magic book on them - the well know names give me the heebee geebees.  The best you can hope for are good books on the history of runes and then do a whole lot of web searches on characteristics and how they're used.  Everybodys in disgreement over many traits so you take what you can. Any way, divination and magic are wholly different things, just saying using the for magic does give you a way to be familiar with the many meanings.

Grimnir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:04:35 am »
Quote from: Wind;81568
That said, I'm not into rune divination but rune magic. If you check out rune magic you'll see that they can be used for many things plus divination.

Same for me, they are much more a magical tool that can be used for divination than the other way round. If you read the sagas you will find plenty on how they were used magically but virtually nothing on divination with them
Kind Regards, Raven
Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel! - Fate goes ever as she shall!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:37 am »
Quote from: Vitkyng;80423
I agree with Laveth, you will find a number of us in this forum with, cumulatively, a large amount of experience with runes and runelore. There is simply too much depth to the subject to even attempt to impart in a single thread.  You would be better served by reading the books the books you have otdered, and maybeby inquiring what books others have found useful. As you read, and learn, if you have particular questions and insights, then share them here.

I have been working with the runes, and have a question.  Can anyone recommend a good book (or website) that explores legends or myths that related to the individual runes?  

Mainly I've been doing as much reading as I can (and sifting through some kinda scary author perspectives), and piecing information together, but have read several books that kind of mention rune myths but of course don't actually tell any.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
Hi everyone

Thanks

I have been using runes for two years now and still would not be comfortable teaching anything on them. What I have found useful is pulling a rune and studying it over a day or more. Read as many interpretations as you can. Mediated on it. Galdr it. I have had some wonderful images come up. I have found that not relying totally on other's interpretations has helped me get more comfortable with them. I also once a month do an offering to them of a drop or two of my blood in water. You don't have to do that but I feel that I should honor them as I would my ancestors since I am asking them to help me. That said I have read Galina Krasskova's book and Edred Thorsson's book. I liked both but preferred Galina's.

At this point I have only used mine for spell work and not used divination with them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:37:43 am by Holdasown »

Tags: