Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Witch Balls  (Read 5373 times)

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Balls
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:48 pm »
Quote from: Jack;100628
A new name? Whyever would they need that.

We have several witch balls. My wife really likes my balls, but I wonder if I should worry that she gravitates toward blue balls...

I'm extremely relieved.  Every time this thread shows up in the "New Posts" list I giggle like an idiot.  I knew I couldn't be the only one!

Brina

ETA:  I also keep thinking of a vendor at a witch burning running around shouting "Witch Balls!  Get yer red hot Witch Balls!"  Something's probably really wrong with me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:20:57 pm by yewberry »

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;100690
I'm extremely relieved.  Every time this thread shows up in the "New Posts" list I giggle like an idiot.  I knew I couldn't be the only one!

Brina

ETA:  I also keep thinking of a vendor at a witch burning running around shouting "Witch Balls!  Get yer red hot Witch Balls!"  Something's probably really wrong with me.

Just so you know, I actually crossed my legs and really winced when I read that last bit........

Maybe this is why it is explicitly stated on the Gwyddon public site that we are not witches. No one can burn our balls that way!
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:05 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;100709
Just so you know, I actually crossed my legs and really winced when I read that last bit........

Maybe this is why it is explicitly stated on the Gwyddon public site that we are not witches. No one can burn our balls that way!

HAH!! XD i like where this topic is going

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:47:17 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;91756
Hopefully I used the right term. All I know is that they are gorgeous glass balls. Can someone enlighten me on their purpose and origin?

Thanks!

Some nice pictures of old ones at the Boscastle Museum of Witchcraft

http://www.museumofwitchcraft.com/displayrecord_mow.php?ObjectNumber=939
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:47:55 pm by Vale »

RedHawk

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »
Quote from: Vale;100896
Some nice pictures of old ones at the Boscastle Museum of Witchcraft

http://www.museumofwitchcraft.com/displayrecord_mow.php?ObjectNumber=939

I've actually been on several sites that sell witch balls and their priced pretty good. Of course the main reason that I love these sites is that they say that their not made in China. Finally, something not mass produced by another country.

lilitu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:12 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;91756
Hopefully I used the right term. All I know is that they are gorgeous glass balls. Can someone enlighten me on their purpose and origin?

Thanks!

My take on witches' balls - I use plastic spheres that open in half, fill them with protective herbs and stones (snowflake obsidian), salt et cetera and hangt them in the windows in my house. Traditionally, they were indeed glass but I do find them rather pricey. You can buy the plastic ones in hobby shops, or even in the regular ones around Christmas time.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;92044
I have one kicking around that my dad gave me, but it's not mirrored or silvered - it's green glass with these sort of strands of glass inside? Like this. I remember the card that came with it said evil spirits or whatever were supposed to get caught inside it, in the strand looking stuff.

I never hung the darn thing up because it's sort of heavy and all my windows always sucked.

I've got one similar hanging above my bed that I got from my first trip to Salem. The history I've heard is that fishermen originally used them to hold up the nets in the water, since they're hollow and they float, and to ward off the bad luck of not catching anything. Then they evolved into being hung in windows to catch and trap bad/evil spirits, not unlike a dreamcatcher. Every year or so I'll take it down to the waterfall by my house and let it float on the water for a bit to cleanse it of bad energies.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tags: