Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Where to Learn about the Occult?  (Read 1921 times)

RusWarrior

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Where to Learn about the Occult?
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:47:29 pm »
I have been looking around for information on Esotericism and Theosophy but have been having alot of difficultly doing so. I read parts of a text by Rudolf Steiner, but struggled and comprehend it, and felt it was intended for someone with a greater understanding of the matter. Does anyone know any good general resources on the topic?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Where to Learn about the Occult?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »
Quote from: RusWarrior;79917
I have been looking around for information on Esotericism and Theosophy but have been having alot of difficultly doing so. I read parts of a text by Rudolf Steiner, but struggled and comprehend it, and felt it was intended for someone with a greater understanding of the matter. Does anyone know any good general resources on the topic?

Howdy!  "Occultism" is a huuuuuuuuge umbrella which covers a broad idea of ideas and practices.  If you give us an idea of which topics interest you I'm sure we can steer you aright.  
:D:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:22:12 am »

The thing about the Occult is that it's similar to the Ocean. It's different depending upon which part of it you are in. It's not an actual thing but more of a genre under which various titles are organised. I think publishers one day got a book that they thought was weird shit I don't understand and decided to create a new genre for it. All other similar stuff they didn't understand went in the same genre.

The occult covers [not exclusively] religions which aren't mainstream, divination, magick, paranormal, spiritualism, mysticism, accounts of interesting drug trips and the list goes on. It truly is an ocean of special interest groups. Everyone comes to it in the same way though. They find a topic in the ocean that interests them specifically and they delve into that. There isn't really an occult primer because we are talking about wildly different perspectives, understandings and practises all shoved into the same section of bookstores.

I think it's easier to define what the occult is not...

It's not accepted norms of physical existence and reality, and it also excludes the major recognised religions. Although some of the more mystical aspects of the major religions do fall into the occult category.Oh forget it! I give up...:whis: A lot of occult topics had their roots in history and became the occult when the historians and scholars crossed the line from investigating into practising and experimenting.

What part of the occult or Rudolf Steiner's work is interesting you?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:31:16 am by Elementalist »

NanoRaven

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:14:19 am »

You can try the Veritas Society forum. They also have a library of occult works including theosophy I think. The Magic sub-forum is pretty into Introduction into Hermetics by Franz Bardon but there are other people on it too whom you can ask specific questions about what you're looking for.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:30 am »
I have been looking around for information on Esotericism and Theosophy but have been having alot of difficultly doing so. I read parts of a text by Rudolf Steiner, but struggled and comprehend it, and felt it was intended for someone with a greater understanding of the matter.

You'll find a lot of Theosophy material at the Theosophy Online Library. As for Steiner, I read a few Steiner books when I was younger and found them very unsatisfying.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RusWarrior

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:39:45 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;79989
You'll find a lot of Theosophy material at the Theosophy Online Library. As for Steiner, I read a few Steiner books when I was younger and found them very unsatisfying.

Thanks mate.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;79989

Additionally, a lot of cities have Theosophical libraries or meeting-houses where talks are given and books might be found.  It would be worth looking and seeing if the Theosophical Society has a local chapter you might interact with--the last time I went to such a place, they were very friendly and open.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Tags: