Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: ways to do spells  (Read 6382 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
ways to do spells
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:37:34 pm »
How would you guys do spells? I know some people do air spells such as taking a feather and using your hands and picture your intention going in the feather then relasing it into the wind. Does anyone have any easy ways they do spells? :) thanks

Phoenix_Sacred

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: ways to do spells
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:54:52 am »
Quote from: addy;12357
How would you guys do spells? I know some people do air spells such as taking a feather and using your hands and picture your intention going in the feather then relasing it into the wind. Does anyone have any easy ways they do spells? :) thanks

Before doing spells, I'll suggest that you study the basics like meditation, visualization, grounding, centering, shielding, that is, energy work in general, during one whole year or maybe more. Then to perform an effective spell, you will have to focus your will and intent. I believe that a protection spell or a wish spell would be a good start after you have mastered the "basics".

"Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit and still keep moving forward."

live oak

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:31 am »

If you're really interested in spell-craft, I liked the book True Magick: A Beginner's Guide (2nd Edition) by Amber K. It is a pretty thorough guide to the beginning skills that are helpful to be proficient in before starting to work with magic and spells.

diana_rajchel

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »

There is an infinity of approaches to spells. Along with True Magick, I recommend the book Magickal Progressions by Moonsilvered. It gives a great base for establishing skills before casting; I also liked Power of the Witch by Laurie Cabot from my early days of learning spellwork.

Luna

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile

Circle, ground, meditate, visualize what you want done, release the energy towards the intention. Any left over energy back to mother earth.
Release the circle. I have had much success with this method. I follow the Wiccan Rede Harm to None 3 times 3. Scott Cunningham has many really good books on Wicca, including Living Wicca & The Solitary Practitioner. They are easy to read, and understand, and practice.
                       Blessed Be,        Luna.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »

Honestly, I would say that the best way to do spells ISN'T easy. It can take a lot out of you. To draw power up from within takes work. Anybody can say a few words and perform a pretty ritual. With spell work, a large amount of what makes a spell effective is from within....not necessarily what is said or done. And I'm sure this helps tremendously, lol. :D:
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:26 am »

There are easy ways and there are hard ways to do spells but both of them are useless if you are not familiar with visualization and energy work tecniques first.

I would suggest Mya Om book 'Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters' - it's thin, cheap priced but full of excercises and good method. It's a quick guide to learn the basics of effective spellwork without turning to gods but developing your skills. I can only say that i wish it was the first spellbook i ever read because it would have spared me a lot of time.

It's also pretty clear about the consequences a certain kind of spell ca attract if you are not restricting well enough its field of action.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:23 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16818
There are easy ways and there are hard ways to do spells but both of them are useless if you are not familiar with visualization and energy work tecniques first.

This is a common line of thought right now - almost universal among 'modern' witches and magic users.  However, it ignores centuries of perfectly respectable witchcraft that had nothing to do with energy work or visualization, or even meditation, which is another often-advised technique.

Current students are taught to sneer at 'magical cookbooks' but they have existed and worked for far longer than the new age of magic has been around.  These are spells that depend on ingredients and proper procedures and do not depend on any innate abilities on the part of the user.  

Magical ingredients truly are magical in this system.  You don't have to know how they work, or the theory behind them, any more than you have to know how turning a key in the ignition starts your car.  You just have to make sure you have the right key and the car has all its necessary parts.

Substitutions are easier if you understand the theory of the specific spell, but if you don't just following the prescription is enough.  Curanderos that sell spells, botanicas with blessed candles and spell boxes, formulas found in old and new books based on a very mechanical 'follow steps a through f and g will result' - all these are magic as well, and, in many cases, work better than spending years learning techniques that have a very narrow scope of usefulness.  If all you want is a spell, get a spell.

You can put months into learning to visualize yourself with money in your pocket, wrestle with the ethics of casting a 'selfish' spell, try to think of all possible ways in which your desire can have bad consequences, and broaden your scope to include every possible way of 'legitimately' getting money.  You can then learn to raise energy and direct it and shoot it towards your goal, and you can satisfy yourself that you have neutralized every thought of gain so that you can, er... gain.

Or you can put a line of silver coins from the mat outside your door to the mat inside your door and wait for the coin of the real world to follow suit, in whatever fashion it does so, and get on with the rest of your life without spending all your time and energy on this one thing.

Magic is not all energy work and visualization and quasi-rational self-help techniques.  Some of it is just magic.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

ikshahar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:47 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;16822
This is a common line of thought right now - almost universal among 'modern' witches and magic users.  However, it ignores centuries of perfectly respectable witchcraft that had nothing to do with energy work or visualization, or even meditation, which is another often-advised technique.

Current students are taught to sneer at 'magical cookbooks' but they have existed and worked for far longer than the new age of magic has been around.  These are spells that depend on ingredients and proper procedures and do not depend on any innate abilities on the part of the user.  

Magical ingredients truly are magical in this system.  You don't have to know how they work, or the theory behind them, any more than you have to know how turning a key in the ignition starts your car.  You just have to make sure you have the right key and the car has all its necessary parts.

Substitutions are easier if you understand the theory of the specific spell, but if you don't just following the prescription is enough.  Curanderos that sell spells, botanicas with blessed candles and spell boxes, formulas found in old and new books based on a very mechanical 'follow steps a through f and g will result' - all these are magic as well, and, in many cases, work better than spending years learning techniques that have a very narrow scope of usefulness.  If all you want is a spell, get a spell.

You can put months into learning to visualize yourself with money in your pocket, wrestle with the ethics of casting a 'selfish' spell, try to think of all possible ways in which your desire can have bad consequences, and broaden your scope to include every possible way of 'legitimately' getting money.  You can then learn to raise energy and direct it and shoot it towards your goal, and you can satisfy yourself that you have neutralized every thought of gain so that you can, er... gain.

Or you can put a line of silver coins from the mat outside your door to the mat inside your door and wait for the coin of the real world to follow suit, in whatever fashion it does so, and get on with the rest of your life without spending all your time and energy on this one thing.

Magic is not all energy work and visualization and quasi-rational self-help techniques.  Some of it is just magic.

Absent

Wow! that's so, er...righteous

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:27:47 pm »

Seconded heartily.  And I guess my response also answers the question of the OP:  I practice folk magic (upon which I often put my own spin).

Brina

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:54 am »

...it ignores centuries of perfectly respectable witchcraft that had nothing to do with energy work or visualization, or even meditation, which is another often-advised technique.

Absent

I think the mechanics of a truly effective spell practically work the visualization into the spell through a physical action. Using your example, rather than picturing your intention going into the feather, you could whisper words of your intention holding the feather close to your mouth so that your breath touches the feather, and THEN release it to the wind. A lot of people ignore the power of the spoken and written word and do it all in their head. Visualization is a highly useful skill and should be practiced, but it reinforces the work before, during, and after the work is actually performed. A visualized intent that is not brought onto the physical plane, in my experience, does not manifest on the physical as well.

Now, there is more than one way to do that. You can speak a rhyme, a prayer, write it on a piece of paper. Also with paper you can create a sigil, draw some archaic symbol, draw a picture, etc. and you could then boil it with your tea and drink it (to manifest the magic within), burn it (for transformation, or to banish), fold it towards you or away (depending on whether you want it to come to you or go away from you), tear it up and flush it down the toilet (to do away with a certain gusto), tie it up with string (to bind), place it under a rock in the garden, etc.  Paper magic is one of my favorite kinds of results-oriented spell forms.

There are ways of working with energy that are tied into folk practice.  is an example.  Notice what he does with his hands to seal the candle once he has dressed it. Notice that the gestures accompany his visualization. Gestures are another way to bring visualization into the material world.

I get sort of tired of the word "energy" used when talking about magic. I'm still trying to figure out why this bothers me. I am one of those cerebral types that will contemplate how magic works until I'm spinning in circles, and I think that it comes down to semantics... the implications of energy is that it is measurable by science. Sure, maybe it will be some day (I highly doubt it). But right now, not so much. I think people were afraid of the word "power" and replaced it with the politically correct "energy".   Is that too off topic?
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

SonofPan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:52 am »
Quote from: yewberry;16920
Seconded heartily.  And I guess my response also answers the question of the OP:  I practice folk magic (upon which I often put my own spin).

Brina

Oh I practice candle magic and runes and of course some herbalism. And I started my grimoire just this year. So amazing I must say, and it is nice to actually write.
"Life is about enjoying every moment you have, and with that enjoyment sharing with others!"

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;17036
... the implications of energy is that it is measurable by science. Sure, maybe it will be some day (I highly doubt it).

Actually, it is measurable by science, and has been measured in numerous studies now. I'm not just talking about paranormal activity, but of the energy exerted by telepathics, telekenetics and such.....think electrodes in the brain. While the docs and scientists agree there is definitely MORE of something going on, they still don't know why other than the part of the test patient's brain is more active in a particular spot than in a "normal" person.

I'm sure if we had electrodes placed in our brains when we were doing spellwork, the same would be true.

I think people were afraid of the word "power" and replaced it with the politically correct "energy".  

I like the word power just fine, but for me "energy" and "power" are interchangeable almost 100% of the time, so that doesn't particularly bother me. (I use the word "almost" because while I can't think of a time that they're not interchangeable, I'm sure there is one somewhere.)

Mods.....SHOULD we start a new thread?

** By the way Lecia, I agree with your general post....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:52:27 pm by hufflee »
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 12:57:21 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;17141
Actually, it is measurable by science, and has been measured in numerous studies now. I'm not just talking about paranormal activity, but of the energy exerted by telepathics, telekenetics and such.....think electrodes in the brain. While the docs and scientists agree there is definitely MORE of something going on, they still don't know why other than the part of the test patient's brain is more active in a particular spot than in a "normal" person.

I'm sure if we had electrodes placed in our brains when we were doing spellwork, the same would be true.

Which studies would those be?

Brina

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;17144
Which studies would those be?

Brina

Oh lord......you're going to make me go through about 3 years of paperwork. I'll find them and post them, but it probably won't be tomorrow.....

Tags: