collapse

Author Topic: Ways to bring about resolution  (Read 1401 times)

Ginko

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ways to bring about resolution
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
I'm interested in things that you would recommend to help bring about resolution.  I have checked out the spell page, but didn't see anything that fit and hopefully this is the correct category (seemed to be).

Here's the situation.

My father died 4 years ago this coming March.  He left his affairs (house, belongings, financial, etc) in pretty bad shape for various reasons which I won't go into.  With help from family and friends we managed to get the belongings taken care of and house sold within a reasonable amount of time.

The estate (financial) portion is still not taken care of.  At this point in time we have done all we need to do and it is the hands of the lawyer.  I realize that these things take time, but it has been over a year now since we handed everything to the lawyer.  I do not think he is dishonest, just scattered.

I feel like this is hanging over my head and would like it to be resolved for good.  Please note that this is not me expecting money (though to be honest it would be much appreciated) as I don't anticipate there being anything left once his debts are paid.  I would just like to close this chapter of my life and move forward.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Ginko

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:03 pm »
Quote from: Ginko;87346
Any and all thoughts are welcome.

My husband just went through a similar situation.  It's very difficult.  I'm sorry for your loss.

In most states there are court rules about how long estates can remain open.  Four years is a really long time for something like this.  I'd run down the mundane stuff before turning to magic.

First, are you the estate administrator?  If so, you really have to get this taken care of, or, depending on state law,  you could be held responsible.

If you are the administrator, call the lawyer and insist on an accounting of the estate and where everything is in the process.  Be sure to ask what he has filed and what the deadlines are.  There might well be penalties for missing them.

If you don't get answers from the lawyer, you might be looking at malpractice.  Consult another lawyer ASAP!

If you're not the administrator, contact whoever is.  It's possible that person is on top of it and there are good reasons for the delays.

In any case, you should definitely find out what's going on.

Good luck!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:51 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;87350

One other thing I forgot to say:  If you don't get answers from the lawyer, you can contract the Register of Wills for your area and find out the status of the estate that way.

Ginko

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to bring about resolution
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;87445
One other thing I forgot to say:  If you don't get answers from the lawyer, you can contract the Register of Wills for your area and find out the status of the estate that way.

Thank you.  Unfortunately his estate and his lawyer are in the state of LA.  Everyone I've spoken to says their laws are weird!  I will try the Register of Wills.

My sibling and I are co-executors not administrators to my knowledge.

My request magically speaking was hoping for something to grease the wheels (for want of a better term).  I think everything is being done, just maybe tied down in red tape.  So, I was wondering what others had done to maybe help things move out of a state of stagnation.
Ginko

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:28:34 pm »
Quote from: Ginko;87518
Thank you.  Unfortunately his estate and his lawyer are in the state of LA.  Everyone I've spoken to says their laws are weird!  I will try the Register of Wills.

My sibling and I are co-executors not administrators to my knowledge.

Just to clarify, "executors" are the people who make sure someone's will is carried out ("executed") properly.  "Administrators" deal with ("administer") estates when there is no will.  In practice, the terms are pretty similar.  

If you're an executor, that means there was a will.  In that case, it's even more unusual that this has dragged on for 4 years.

That said, from what I remember from law school, it's true that Louisiana law is a bit... different in some ways.  Regardless, 4 years is a very long time.  I'd still recommend contacting the Register of Wills for the relevant parish (or whatever they call the person in the court who deals with estates there).

Sorry I can't help with the magic part.  Maybe someone else will have suggestions about that angle.

Good luck!

~ Aster

Ginko

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to bring about resolution
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:48 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;87536
Just to clarify, "executors" are the people who make sure someone's will is carried out ("executed") properly.  "Administrators" deal with ("administer") estates when there is no will.  In practice, the terms are pretty similar.  

If you're an executor, that means there was a will.  In that case, it's even more unusual that this has dragged on for 4 years.

That said, from what I remember from law school, it's true that Louisiana law is a bit... different in some ways.  Regardless, 4 years is a very long time.  I'd still recommend contacting the Register of Wills for the relevant parish (or whatever they call the person in the court who deals with estates there).

Sorry I can't help with the magic part.  Maybe someone else will have suggestions about that angle.

Good luck!

~ Aster

Thank you Aster,

I appreciate your being willing to help.:)
Ginko

Tags: