collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: The midnight game  (Read 1975 times)

nadkins733

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
The midnight game
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
Just be warneD this might be ridiculous or give someone a facepalm but I'm just a confused and curious teenager.

As a teen you hear a lot of urban legends, the new one is the midnight game. Apparenlty it's supposed to be an old pagan ritual where at midnight you summon a demonic entity and you're  supposed to basically play a game of hide and seek with it until 3:33 am. if you survive till then you win but if it catches you, you have hallucinations of your worst fear or possibly death.

I want to know if there is truth or history behind this...

Thanks, nadkins

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: The midnight game
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
Quote from: nadkins733;70657
Just be warneD this might be ridiculous or give someone a facepalm but I'm just a confused and curious teenager.

As a teen you hear a lot of urban legends, the new one is the midnight game. Apparenlty it's supposed to be an old pagan ritual where at midnight you summon a demonic entity and you're  supposed to basically play a game of hide and seek with it until 3:33 am. if you survive till then you win but if it catches you, you have hallucinations of your worst fear or possibly death.

Thanks, nadkins

Can't say i've ever heard of that one.  However, it sure sounds like a SNIPE hunt to me.  A snipe hunt is where you take a gulliable person out into the woods and leave them at a corner junction of a fence line. They are told to hold the bag and the snipe (a bird like creature) will run headlong into the bag.

Then the rest of the group goes off the run teh snipe to the catcher.  Only thing is in realility they just leave and go off and do what ever.  Sometimes gone till late the next day as the "Fool" is left holding the bag.

nadkins733

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;70662
Can't say i've ever heard of that one.  However, it sure sounds like a SNIPE hunt to me.  A snipe hunt is where you take a gulliable person out into the woods and leave them at a corner junction of a fence line. They are told to hold the bag and the snipe (a bird like creature) will run headlong into the bag.

Then the rest of the group goes off the run teh snipe to the catcher.  Only thing is in realility they just leave and go off and do what ever.  Sometimes gone till late the next day as the "Fool" is left holding the bag.

Thats really sad but funny, but ive never heard about the snipe hunt. Like i said thats probably all it is.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »

Thanks, nadkins

Yeah, I've heard of stuff like this before. Seems similar to the Bloody Mary thing, urban legends about the "witching hour", etc.

I still wanna try playing the "lift the table" game. :B

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:05:15 am »

Thanks, nadkins

Never heard of this one before. It does seem a little too cliche to be based in older lore though (in my opinion).

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:22:04 am »

That's the first time I've heard of this one. It doesn't sound like it's based on anything except crappy movies, though, sorry. Probably be hilarious at a sleepover, though. Screeching teenagers and whatnot. We used to just bust out the ouija board and see who was drama-queen enough to start in with the 'U WILL DIEEEE' crap.

I probably still wouldn't do it, not gonna lie. I'm thirty and I still refuse to try the Bloody Mary thing. Also Slenderman creeps me out and I KNOW that's a made-up one. (But... tulpas! Eeeek!)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 01:21:15 am »
Quote from: Maps;70676

I still wanna try playing the "lift the table" game. :B

That one was a staple for our slumber parties growing up. If you really want a training bra to freeze, you have to invite more than five people so four can do light as a feather while one secretly dips the bras and puts them in the freezer. These things must be planned and timed carefully.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:58:28 am »

Thanks, nadkins

Sounds like the stuff of bad B-movies to me (and not even the 'so bad it's good' kind). I mean, what if you don't believe in demons?
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:03:43 am »

I don't recall ever hearing of this one before, but it sounds more like the plot of a really bad horror novel/movie than any actual ritual.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

Thanks, nadkins

Biggest reason there's no way that's an old thing - 3:33 is a time you can only get with modern watches.  Can't be any older than accurate to the minute timepieces.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:17 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;70719
Biggest reason there's no way that's an old thing - 3:33 is a time you can only get with modern watches.  Can't be any older than accurate to the minute timepieces.

Excellent point.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Curr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;70737
Excellent point.

Maybe the demon will be a good sport and let you know when you can stop running.
live in hope.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »

Thanks, nadkins

The pagan ritual part is utter tripe otherwise, that sounds really, really fun, but maybe instead of a demonic entity, you have someone with a nerf gun...

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:26 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;70737
Excellent point.

Yes it is.

The first thing that came to mind when reading the OP was having to run from anything for 3 hours 33 minutes.  I'm out of breath already.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »

Thanks, nadkins

Never heard of that, before. Although, in the gray-and-white version of Occultforums, I did read this account of Western ceremonial magicians (actually it sounded like a mix of other magickal traditions and styles) taking turns to stand in front of a summoning triangle and banish a demon that a designated (definitely ceremonial) magickian had summoned from the Goetia. A different demon every time, and a different banisher to show off their own banishing ritual or technique every time. If I recall, there was not only a designated summoner, to keep the demons coming consistently, but each banisher would of course have varying degrees of success. So, they had a designated backup-banisher too, in case the banisher who stepped up to the plate just wasn't up to snuff.

So, obviously the ceremonials had set it up and controlled the field, but I can't recall if that was a particularly exhausting final exam in some group magick class (it certainly sounds more hip than the Rite of Abramelin, making up your own banishing ritual and all and seeing how well it works,) or if it were an experiment (which banishing ritual is most effective?), or a bet (psions are better than chaotes? wanna get the ceremonials to judge?), or just a way for all these occultists to meet and get to know each other and show off.

It just sounded similar, to me.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: