collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Tarot Vs Oracle Cards  (Read 7445 times)

Aniera

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Tarot Vs Oracle Cards
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:38 am »
Hope everyone is having a great day!!

I own the Goddess Tarot cards (they are BEAUTIFUL!!) However I was in my local book store looking and I noticed these cards, okay well they fell off the shelf at me, but they are Oracle cards. I know I should have bought them but I got concerned because I am unaware of the difference betweeen Oracle cards and Tarot cards. Can someone help me? Thanks
What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly

Becoming a mother is my greatest achievement.

Spiritual Blog: http://www.whimsicalmystical.blogspot.com

Dracona

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Tarot Vs Oracle Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
Quote from: Aniera;77779
I own the Goddess Tarot cards (they are BEAUTIFUL!!) However I was in my local book store looking and I noticed these cards, okay well they fell off the shelf at me, but they are Oracle cards. I know I should have bought them but I got concerned because I am unaware of the difference betweeen Oracle cards and Tarot cards. Can someone help me? Thanks

Oracle cards don't have the decks or old meanings that the tarot has. With the tarot you get variations of the wands, pentacles etc suits and major and minor arcana.

With oracle cards generally you have no suits, just a set of individual cards with different meanings.

Different people respond in different ways to them. Personally I have always seemed fairly crap at tarot, but I have a set of goddess oracle cards that are awesome. Personal choice.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:31 am »

The most common definitions you'd encounter to these two methods are as follows:

Tarot = 78 cards, among them 22 Major Arcana, the rest are divided into four suits. The cards mostly also have traditional meanings. Granted, there may be some variations (such as adding or changing some of the MA, or providing different interpretation for some of the cards), but at large the system holds.

Oracle cards = any set of cards, that may be used as a system on its own, or read entirely intuitively.

Aniera

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:39 am »
Quote from: Nachtigall;77785
The most common definitions you'd encounter to these two methods are as follows:

Tarot = 78 cards, among them 22 Major Arcana, the rest are divided into four suits. The cards mostly also have traditional meanings. Granted, there may be some variations (such as adding or changing some of the MA, or providing different interpretation for some of the cards), but at large the system holds.

Oracle cards = any set of cards, that may be used as a system on its own, or read entirely intuitively.

Okay! I guess I'll just have to get a set and see what they do for me!
What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly

Becoming a mother is my greatest achievement.

Spiritual Blog: http://www.whimsicalmystical.blogspot.com

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »

For me, the tarot deck is used for more in depth readings whereas the Oracle decks are used for a more general/quick reading and using more intuition.  Sometimes I'd do the one and use the other as a backup to confirm to myself that I've interpreted things right.

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »

For me, tarot is what I really use for divination and insightful readings. My oracle cards are more for Divine inspiration. I've never been able to intuit an oracle reading, only tarot.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:09:20 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;77824
For me, the tarot deck is used for more in depth readings whereas the Oracle decks are used for a more general/quick reading and using more intuition.  Sometimes I'd do the one and use the other as a backup to confirm to myself that I've interpreted things right.

See, I'm the opposite. When I used to read tarot, I could never get a really deep, accurate reading. I've been using the Book of Doors oracle and it's amazing how intuitive and deep a reading I can get. The tarot symbolism has no meaning for me, no matter how much I study it. Also, it just seems so rigid. I love the "looseness" of the BoD.

With oracle cards, it must depend on each deck. For example, the Book of Doors is Kemetic-based and I happen to worship Kemetic gods. When I did my first reading with that oracle, the cards felt like friends, like they were radiating encouragement and familiarity.

It's kind of cool how we differ in respect to the cards.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:40:11 am »

Don't hesitate to buy any deck that calls you. If it's calling you it's for a reason. My first divination deck was tarot and I just couldn't get along with it at the time. The imagery scared me and so did it's psychological link to horror films...:ashamed:.

I went with several oracle decks and found them less intimidating, in time though, I found them limiting. Later the tarot called me again but this time I had shed a lot of the negative beliefs and idea's I had about it. Fairly quickly the individual tarot cards started to hold new meaning for me and now I don't use any other type of deck because I love the tarot system.

It's interesting to note though that I rarely go with the conventional tarot meanings when reading now. I have my own way of understanding those cards and most specifically what each card personally means to me.

Tags: