collapse

Author Topic: Stones as charms?  (Read 1343 times)

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Stones as charms?
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:45:53 am »
I was thinking about having a stone charm to absorb anger. You see, I get annoyed very easily and getting rid of the anger energy before it's released in the form of yelling and would be a very good thing for me. How might I charm a stone to absorb anger?

I have polished river and stream rocks, can get unpolished river and stream rocks very easily, and the only stone I can recognize and name is white quartz.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:46:36 am by Night Owl »

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 02:01:24 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113363
I was thinking about having a stone charm to absorb anger. You see, I get annoyed very easily and getting rid of the anger energy before it's released in the form of yelling and would be a very good thing for me. How might I charm a stone to absorb anger?

I have polished river and stream rocks, can get unpolished river and stream rocks very easily, and the only stone I can recognize and name is white quartz.

Thanks!

 Just wanted to add that I also have a lot of flint, in case that is a stone used.

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2810
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 32
    • View Profile
Stones as charms?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:01:49 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113363

I can't help you with the charm, because I don't do magic.

However, I can recommend a couple of stones that are very good at both absorbing anger and negativity, and shielding against them.  My favorites are obsidian (especially black, rainbow, and fire obsidian), smokey quartz, and black tourmaline (aka schorl).  You can use them individually or in any combination.  Clear or white quartz often intensifies the effects of other stones.

All of those stones are easily available in various forms (I tend to use a lot of beads, so I can wear them) and at very reasonable prices.  I recommend http://www.metaphysicalrealm1.com.  I've ordered from Deborah many times and have always been satisfied with her merchandise.  

There are also numerous Etsy shops that sell rough and tumbled stones, beads, and jewelry using those and many other stones.  If you want some guidelines about what to look for to try to avoid shops that are overpriced or sell imitation stones or things like that, let me know.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tana

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2295
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:16:03 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113363

I have polished river and stream rocks, can get unpolished river and stream rocks very easily, and the only stone I can recognize and name is white quartz.

Thanks!


Aster gave some good gem stone advice, but if you can't afford to buy some nifty crystals, your river pebbles will do fine.

I found, that 'normal' stones are often quite happy and willing to assist in workings.
You might want to 'ask' them which one will assist you. (Calming down, having the question in mind and selecting the stone that speaks to you the most is a way to do this.)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

ALiteraryLady

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:26:28 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113363
I was thinking about having a stone charm to absorb anger. You see, I get annoyed very easily and getting rid of the anger energy before it's released in the form of yelling and would be a very good thing for me. How might I charm a stone to absorb anger?

I have polished river and stream rocks, can get unpolished river and stream rocks very easily, and the only stone I can recognize and name is white quartz.

Thanks!

 
Aster's and Tana's stone advice was solid, but I can't help but say something about other ways to handle being annoyed (in addition to their suggestions). Do you tend to get annoyed most at work, or is it at home? I'd make a case that on top of finding a charm that you can use when you are in a rough situation (like about to yell at a kid and you work at a daycare sort of thing) that you make the time to sit down and list out what is making you so annoyed. I think that you may find that it's linked to a specific person or action and then you can choose to confront it or to avoid it.

As far as the type of rock to use, I'm a fan of river rocks that you find. I get a more "how can I help you?" sort of vibe from them. Good luck.

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »
Quote from: ALiteraryLady;113380
Aster's and Tana's stone advice was solid, but I can't help but say something about other ways to handle being annoyed (in addition to their suggestions). Do you tend to get annoyed most at work, or is it at home? I'd make a case that on top of finding a charm that you can use when you are in a rough situation (like about to yell at a kid and you work at a daycare sort of thing) that you make the time to sit down and list out what is making you so annoyed. I think that you may find that it's linked to a specific person or action and then you can choose to confront it or to avoid it.

As far as the type of rock to use, I'm a fan of river rocks that you find. I get a more "how can I help you?" sort of vibe from them. Good luck.

 Thanks to everyone :D

I was going to do something like that as well as having the stone, but I thought that having a charm might help too.

ALiteraryLady

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 07:05:31 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;113397
Thanks to everyone :D

I was going to do something like that as well as having the stone, but I thought that having a charm might help too.

 
It never hurts to follow up the mundane with the magical when you need it. Good luck.

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:34 pm »
Quote from: ALiteraryLady;113419
It never hurts to follow up the mundane with the magical when you need it. Good luck.

 
Thanks.

Nightwind

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 70
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Stones as charms?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;113430
Thanks.

 
Have you thought of maybe using a stone as a worry stone instead of a charm? Put a stone in your pocket that is smooth or feels interesting in your hand and when you get upset or start to feel angry focus on the stone your pocket, perhaps rub it between your fingers until you feel more able to continue? It doesn't matter what kind of stone it is, as long as it feels right to you.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
4088 Views
Last post March 08, 2015, 01:23:32 am
by SunflowerP
9 Replies
3479 Views
Last post February 12, 2012, 06:39:54 pm
by Smokebender
9 Replies
5276 Views
Last post October 21, 2011, 12:13:09 am
by Livia Indica
6 Replies
960 Views
Last post May 01, 2013, 02:36:12 pm
by Nyktipolos
4 Replies
867 Views
Last post October 11, 2013, 07:42:45 am
by Faline

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall