collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 29 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:56:54 am]

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 06:16:03 am]

Re: Recently Blogged by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 06:21:02 pm]

Re: What are you playing right now? by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 12:24:36 pm]

Re: Introduction by sevensons
[Yesterday at 09:50:42 am]

Author Topic: Sigil Magick  (Read 2690 times)

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Sigil Magick
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:08 am »
Belief is the core of all Magick. I spell Magick with a K to distinguish it from stage magic, or illusion. Magick is defined by the magickian, Aleister Crowley: the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will. This does not mean that we need lots of hocus pocus to cause change. If I want to lose weight, I might enroll in a gym, exercise more often, and go on a diet. If I want a new job, I will apply. But if there weren’t any hocus pocus, what fun would magick be?

And this is where Sigil Magick comes into play. Sigil Magick is a method of self-hypnosis and of casting spells. Self-hypnosis in that it works on the subconscious. Casting of spells in that it can have an effect on the outside world. The why of its effects on the outside world is a matter of debate. The theory is that the subconscious mind never forgets anything. The subconscious can be trained to act on command provided it is left to it’s own devices. This means that the conscious mind must not interfere. Problems with traditional mantras are that if we keep repeating, “I am thin, ” we may consciously think that that is not true because the mirror says I’m fat. The goal of sigil magick is to program our subconscious mind without our conscious mind thinking us to death.

This is how to make a sigil:

On a piece of paper, write out a statement of intent in capital letters.

“I WISH FOR LOVE”

Next, remove all the double letters.

“IWSHFORLVE”

Now, be creative, and make a picture out of the remainder of those letters. You can use any color, design, or method you wish. The letters can be hinted at or can be obvious.*

Next Step is to make a mantra out of the outtake (“IWSHFORLVE”) of the original statement. We can do so by rearranging the letters to get something like: “LEVISH WORF”. It is important to rearrange the letters so our conscious mind forgets the original meaning.

Now, with the sigil in front of you, gaze into it and repeat the mantra over and over. Start slow, and gradually speed up. Speed up the mantra until your breathing is excited and you feel really into it. If you start to slur the words, that’s ok. Repeat the mantra until you simply stop.

Now, crumble up the mantra and throw it way or burn it. This part doesn’t matter as much. What does matter is that you dispose of it some way.

Finally, and this is important, laugh or act crazy. This is to shift the gears of your mind.

It’s also good to keep a record of your experience. I always keep a copy of the sigils I have made. Firstly so I can refer to them again in my journal and keep track of if they worked, and secondly to re-cast them if they prove successful.*

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sigil Magick
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:09 am »
Quote from: Wimsaur;158709

Pretty standard and clear, yeah. Thanks for sharing this!

Belief is the core of all Magick. I spell Magick with a K to distinguish it from stage magic, or illusion.

While that certainly makes Google searches easier, I always thought that it should be stage magicians who should have to change the word. But now I spell it magix to distinguish it from stage illusion and Western ceremonialism.

Instead of squishing letters together, I sort of do the drawing equivalent of glossolalia or logo-making to make a sort of system more like runes (but loopier). The reason for this is, personally, the Latin alphabet and English language is already so removed from the concept of the statement of intention to me? So with my new runes I get to build up on the significance by 1. having the shape of the character associated with the concept on more levels and 2. using the same or similar "sigils" over and again, with the particular being more the combination of it if not the direct intent that it's charged with at the moment.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »
I have had great success in reusing sigils.
After a while you can use them to access specific energies within yourself, and play your emotions like a musical instrument.

I would add to my original instructions thusly:

It is not the sigil that is the power, but merely a portal to that power.

I like to look past or through the sigils while charging or meditating on them.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;158719
I have had great success in reusing sigils.
After a while you can use them to access specific energies within yourself, and play your emotions like a musical instrument.

I would add to my original instructions thusly:

It is not the sigil that is the power, but merely a portal to that power.

I like to look past or through the sigils while charging or meditating on them.

A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:29:25 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;158717
But now I spell it magix to distinguish it from stage illusion and Western ceremonialism.

Plus it sounds like a fucking awesome breakfast cereal. Magix, now with marshmallow pentagrams!

Instead of squishing letters together, I sort of do the drawing equivalent of glossolalia or logo-making to make a sort of system more like runes (but loopier). The reason for this is, personally, the Latin alphabet and English language is already so removed from the concept of the statement of intention to me? So with my new runes I get to build up on the significance by 1. having the shape of the character associated with the concept on more levels and 2. using the same or similar "sigils" over and again, with the particular being more the combination of it if not the direct intent that it's charged with at the moment.

Automatic drawing creation of sigils is one of the first methods I read about in Jan Fries Visual Magic years and years ago. I really ought to try it again, since usually I just do the squishy letter method and sometimes that feels a bit static or aesthetically unpleasing.

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:55:49 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;158722
A Reminder:
Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

This is my topic. And there was only one other post. I expect people to use common sense.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:06 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;158745
This is my topic. And there was only one other post. I expect people to use common sense.

[mod=HOST HAT ON]And I expect the rules I have set for this message board to be followed. I suggest you immediately go and reread the Forum Rules because you have violated a number of them with this post.

Hint: NEVER tell one of my staff members how to do their job. I have zero tolerance for this.

Hint: Just because you started a thread does not allow you to set the rules for it, let alone override the rules of this board for it.

Hint: Quoting is required by the rules on this board and staff members will enforce those rules even if you do not approve of them or think they apply.

Hint: Arguing mod calls in public is a violation of the rules even if the mod call was not aimed at you

Hint: If you do not approve of the rules of this board, you are free to go start your own board and set whatever rules you like for it, but whether you approve of them or not, I expect you to obey the rules of this board while you are here.

This is your first official warning.
[/mod]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:28:32 pm »
Quote from: Wimsaur;158709
Speed up the mantra until your breathing is excited and you feel really into it.

It helps if you beat off.  Excitement, and all that.  

True story.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:29:13 pm by MadZealot »
Oh, is it time again to say "Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets?"?

Okay. Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:16:42 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;158796
It helps if you beat off.  Excitement, and all that.  

True story.

Best part of chaos magic. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:04:27 am »
Quote from: Wimsaur;158745
I expect people to use common sense.

I have lots of common sense. I just know when to ignore it. I've had my most sublime religious experiences by ignoring my common sense.:)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 01:56:17 pm »
Quote from: Jack;158801
Best part of chaos magic. ;)

... chaoking the chicken?
Oh, is it time again to say "Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets?"?

Okay. Fuck Trump gently in the ear with a swarm of pissed-off hornets.

Tags: