Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Shielding/Warding 101  (Read 3509 times)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Seeker
Shielding/Warding 101
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:54 am »
Can anyone share techniques or point me toward good online articles or books that teach shielding and warding? I've read a few things online but they are very basic, and I feel the need to learn more about the how/why this works in order to successfully do either. I've tried a few things I've read about which seem to have some limited success, but I don't feel confident in them. Shielding, in particular, seems to be quite difficult for me. It takes a great deal of energy for me to visualize a shield and it is impossible to maintain it for long. When it's up, it does seem to work.

My life is currently very messy (in case that isn't obvious from other posts, lol) and getting messier by the day. Recent circumstances have shown me how much I need to learn self protection, both physically and spiritually/energetically.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Shielding/Warding 101
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 04:33:31 pm »
Can anyone share techniques or point me toward good online articles or books that teach shielding and warding? I've read a few things online but they are very basic, and I feel the need to learn more about the how/why this works in order to successfully do either.

You might have already looked on Jenett's Seeking site, but in case you haven't, she generally has quite a bit of the how-and-why in her articles. The 'Core Skills' section of her 'Doing' page lists and links several relevant articles, which includes one on shielding (nothing there on warding, but if you scroll down to the next section, 'Using your skills', the article 'Protection practices' includes a bit about wards, as well as some other things you might find useful). I'm linking to that page rather than directly to the article on cleansing and shielding, because the core skills build on each other, and it can be worthwhile to review the other articles to make sure you have the overall structure you need.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:00:28 pm »
I'm linking to that page rather than directly to the article on cleansing and shielding, because the core skills build on each other, and it can be worthwhile to review the other articles to make sure you have the overall structure you need.

In addition to the couple Sunflower mentioned (thank you!) you may also find the four articles under "Using your skills" very helpful - they all discuss elements of protecting your home, getting through more challenging times, and some ideas of how to figure out if weird stuff is you or something else outside you.

For books, I'd recommend taking a look at Jason Miller's Protection and Reversal Magick (this is a mix of magical approaches, but skews onto the more structured magical side). He's got a lot of protective magics, but is also a big advocate of building up relationships with various powers (deities, but also others - protective spirts, beloved dead, allies via other connections.) This is not a particularly quick fix, but in combo with faster acting things, can b e really effective.

I also really like Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Protection by Draja Mickaharic for folk magic. (I am a huge fan of a beer bath, based on on the one in there, to clear things out and help me sort through next options: it is basically 'run bath, pour bottle of beer into bath. Soak in bath for a symbolically suitable number of minutes. Dunk self entirely underwater three times, saying a prayer of your preference. Rinse".) Mostly Eastern European folk magic tradition, so many of the suggested prayers are psalms, but you can replace with other texts you prefer.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:41:50 pm »
You might have already looked on Jenett's Seeking site, but in case you haven't, she generally has quite a bit of the how-and-why in her articles. The 'Core Skills' section of her 'Doing' page lists and links several relevant articles, which includes one on shielding (nothing there on warding, but if you scroll down to the next section, 'Using your skills', the article 'Protection practices' includes a bit about wards, as well as some other things you might find useful). I'm linking to that page rather than directly to the article on cleansing and shielding, because the core skills build on each other, and it can be worthwhile to review the other articles to make sure you have the overall structure you need.

Sunflower

Thank you! I think this is the key, learning the core skills first.

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 07:43:14 pm »

I also really like Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Protection by Draja Mickaharic for folk magic. (I am a huge fan of a beer bath, based on on the one in there, to clear things out and help me sort through next options: it is basically 'run bath, pour bottle of beer into bath. Soak in bath for a symbolically suitable number of minutes. Dunk self entirely underwater three times, saying a prayer of your preference. Rinse".) Mostly Eastern European folk magic tradition, so many of the suggested prayers are psalms, but you can replace with other texts you prefer.

Thanks Jenett! I'm working on actually reading through and practicing the things on your website, and I will check out these books as well. Appreciate it! I can already tell a little improvement.

wildwitchhazel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: In Development
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 01:01:50 pm »
*snip*

I really like this idea.  How does the beer bath make you feel afterward?  I would think it feels rather refreshing. :)  All joking aside, I'm definitely going to check this book out.  Thanks!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 08:16:08 pm »
I really like this idea.  How does the beer bath make you feel afterward?  I would think it feels rather refreshing. :)  All joking aside, I'm definitely going to check this book out.  Thanks!

I haven't done it for a while (I moved to an apartment with no bathtub six months ago, alas) but it has some of the same effects as a salt bath (which I also like) but it feels like it gets more into the cracks with energetic cleansing - a deeper clean, might be the way to put it.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: