Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Self Protection  (Read 5663 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Self Protection
« on: December 05, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »
I do not have much experience with magick (I prefer that spelling for myself). I grew up Roman Catholic, so I have experience in Prayer and Contemplation. I also spent years practicing Martial Arts and Zazen Meditation, so Meditation.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on starting with folk magick methods for self protection. I come from a line of military on my Father's side, but I never served myself. My point is that I have a somewhat militant nature. I bring that up because I have had aggressive interactions with various negative forces/spirits/entities, whatever you might call them. Rather than try and get rid of my naturally combative nature, I want to channel that fighting spirit into constructive paths.

I am trying to dedicate myself to a militant spirit of nonviolence. Sort of a soldier for peace. So, I am very interested in starting with some basic aspects of magickal self protection so that I can evade and escape some of the negative forces that I have mentioned. I had a particularly bad spiritual experience last September that also served as a kind of awakening.

Well, if anyone has any suggestions on self protection magick, I would appreciate any suggestions. I am a bit put off my fancy ceremonial magick, and am more interested in practical, natural FolkMagick. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Self Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »
Well, if anyone has any suggestions on self protection magick, I would appreciate any suggestions. I am a bit put off my fancy ceremonial magick, and am more interested in practical, natural FolkMagick. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Most of the ones I know are for home protection: horseshoe over the door, herbs hung in windows, planting an elder bush in the garden, that sort of thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:30:03 pm »
Most of the ones I know are for home protection: horseshoe over the door, herbs hung in windows, planting an elder bush in the garden, that sort of thing.

Thanks. I might try the horseshoe one. Any idea on particular herbs to hang in a window? I wonder also if there are any good books or web sites on basic folk magick? I need psychic self protection most of all, I think, but also health and welfare, security, and prosperity. I would also like to be able to send good luck and good health to family members and friends. I figure that it is good karma to quietly send out good magick to other people, and not just focus on myself. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:00 pm »

I've also found that small mirrors (like dental-sized) can be consecrated and sometimes made into jewelry to make excellent personal protective charms.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
I've also found that small mirrors (like dental-sized) can be consecrated and sometimes made into jewelry to make excellent personal protective charms.

Consecrated mirrors sounds like a good idea. I am not too crafty, but I will maybe try something like that. Jewelry consecrated to Protection might be a good idea also. I would like to have some sort of protective talismans on my person wherever I went. Thanks for the response.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:33:41 pm »
Any idea on particular herbs to hang in a window?

I've seen a bunch of different ones suggested: acorns, mistletoe, betony (I don't know what that is), rosemary.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:34:40 pm »
I've seen a bunch of different ones suggested: acorns, mistletoe, betony (I don't know what that is), rosemary.

Thanks for the list. I do not have much of a green thumb so I don't keep plants in my apartment. I'm a City Guy trying to connect more with Nature. I think that I could probably find acorns in my City Park. I will look into mistletoe and rosemary. I will google betony...

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:50:39 pm »
Thanks for the list. I do not have much of a green thumb so I don't keep plants in my apartment. I'm a City Guy trying to connect more with Nature. I think that I could probably find acorns in my City Park. I will look into mistletoe and rosemary. I will google betony...

Juniper is another protective herb used that way and really common in urban landscaping.  At least it is around here. I am on the other side of the country from you, so different things might grow.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:51:36 am »
I do not have much experience with magick (I prefer that spelling for myself). I grew up Roman Catholic, so I have experience in Prayer and Contemplation. I also spent years practicing Martial Arts and Zazen Meditation, so Meditation.

Anyway, I am looking for advice on starting with folk magick methods for self protection. I come from a line of military on my Father's side, but I never served myself. My point is that I have a somewhat militant nature. I bring that up because I have had aggressive interactions with various negative forces/spirits/entities, whatever you might call them. Rather than try and get rid of my naturally combative nature, I want to channel that fighting spirit into constructive paths.

I am trying to dedicate myself to a militant spirit of nonviolence. Sort of a soldier for peace. So, I am very interested in starting with some basic aspects of magickal self protection so that I can evade and escape some of the negative forces that I have mentioned. I had a particularly bad spiritual experience last September that also served as a kind of awakening.

My aunt used to point a mirror out every window as part of her protection spells.

She liked to point out that they dont need to be hanging on a wall to be effective either. So if they cant hang on a wall opposite for any reason you can get those dollar store teeny mirrors and tape it to the inside of the window, shiney side out.

She also placed a butterknife over the doors to her homes. If they fell it was a warning of some negative energy entering or a person coming in that meant her harm. I am going to emphasize BUTTERKNIFE here; anything sharp is a Bad Idea from a safety standpoint.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 10:18:34 am »

Besides the more physical magic forms people have suggested, my regular practice includes centering, grounding, and shielding work, as well as general psychic hygiene work - all of which have elements you may find helpful.

I've got a bunch of essays up on my Seeking site (that's where the links above go), but you might also find other things under the Core Skills section of the Doing index helpful, or the essay on protection practices.

I will say that keeping my own house in order (physically and figuratively) and not letting uncomfortable interactions linger have been huge in my own practice for evening out what's going on around me.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »
My aunt used to point a mirror out every window as part of her protection spells.

She liked to point out that they dont need to be hanging on a wall to be effective either. So if they cant hang on a wall opposite for any reason you can get those dollar store teeny mirrors and tape it to the inside of the window, shiney side out.

She also placed a butterknife over the doors to her homes. If they fell it was a warning of some negative energy entering or a person coming in that meant her harm. I am going to emphasize BUTTERKNIFE here; anything sharp is a Bad Idea from a safety standpoint.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the practical ideas...

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 05:34:29 pm »
Besides the more physical magic forms people have suggested, my regular practice includes centering, grounding, and shielding work, as well as general psychic hygiene work - all of which have elements you may find helpful.

I've got a bunch of essays up on my Seeking site (that's where the links above go), but you might also find other things under the Core Skills section of the Doing index helpful, or the essay on protection practices.

I will say that keeping my own house in order (physically and figuratively) and not letting uncomfortable interactions linger have been huge in my own practice for evening out what's going on around me.

Very good stuff. I skimmed the links and they look good. I will read them in more depth when I have the time. Hopefully I can mix the practical with good magickal theory. Thanks again!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 06:32:28 pm »
I will look into mistletoe and rosemary.

Rosemary is easy to find at the grocery store  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:10:07 am »
Rosemary is easy to find at the grocery store  :)

Yes, thanks, that is an easy one to find at least. I like the idea of mistletoe though due to the connection to Druidry. Maybe I'll try and get both.

Starlight

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Contemplative/Christian/Eclectic
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:24:35 am »

I wonder also if there are any good books or web sites on basic folk magick? I need psychic self protection most of all, I think, but also health and welfare, security, and prosperity. I would also like to be able to send good luck and good health to family members and friends. I figure that it is good karma to quietly send out good magick to other people, and not just focus on myself. Anyway, thanks for the response.

I haven't read the book yet, but I have watched Hexe Claire on YouTube, and she's recently published a book called Magical Healing that documents folk healing techniques from her part of the world (formerly East Germany). I'd be surprised if there wasn't something of value in there. (https://www.llewellyn.com/product.php?ean=9780738756844)
What you seek is seeking you. - Rumi

The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. - CG Jung

Tags: