collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Rituals, Magic, or something for Anxiety/Depression/Mental Health?  (Read 2148 times)

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Rituals, Magic, or something for Anxiety/Depression/Mental Health?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:56:05 pm »
Quote from: mylifetolive;188224
They believe I am just being lazy. Because the first 5 medications I was on weren't working.

I am currently not living within the US or the UK or a similar country that can provide me with forced assistance.

I can get health care, and I will... it just requires me to find it and sneak around my parents. Which I will... it's unfortunately just not something I can do immediately. :/

Thank you for the offer of assistance.

What a lot of people do not understand about psychiatry is that it is a very new discipline. For thousands of years, doctors made all sorts of unintended blunders in the dark. Hardly anybody nowadays knows about these blunders and even fewer take them into account, especially not when it comes to making allowances for psychiatry, which does not have the millenniums of experience to draw on that orthopedics does, for instance.
Psychotropic drugs are all experimental - and none of them works the same on any two individuals. Each time one is prescribed, the psychiatrist is literally experimenting to see if a past success can be repeated. 6 to 8 weeks are the minimum to begin to tell. If the trial is a failure, then the process has to be started all over - often w/the added difficulty of a weaning off period for the failed drug. It's a slow, painful process - but a worthwhile one, once the proper medication is "hit" upon. It can take a long time to find the right drug - or combination of drugs. I need an antidepressant and 2 mood-stabilizers and a sleep aid - & a psychiatrist - & a licensed clinical social worker - & a certified case worker - & a team of counselors - & a psychiatric day-treatment program - & housing w/people like me - & other professionals to do things that I cannot do (manage money, for instance). W/o these things, I'd have to "live" in my sister's house or else be homeless on the streets. I have a measured IQ of 160, but the social skills of a 12 year-old. Physically, I'm 52.
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;188215

• The several vitamins B are important (Do you eat Marmite?).
As a New Zealander, I approve of the Marmite suggestion.

Another dietary supplement that I recommend is Berocca - I drink a glass of water with one of these in it on days when I need a boost. They do contain caffeine & guarana so I replaced my morning coffee with the Berocca, and actually have found that the B vitamins and magnesium seem to balance everything out, and my anxiety isn't affected by the energy boost.

In the vitamin vein, I also take a vitamin D supplement (high dose of cholecalciferol prescribed by my doctor, but over-the-counter stuff is available too), which has been beneficial - especially in winter.

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »
Quote from: mylifetolive;188151
I'm not looking for specific spells... just... does anyone have advice or experience with utilizing either just rituals or specific meditation techniques or spells or something to assist with their mental health?

About a year ago, the Wild Hunt had an interesting article on using the elements of earth, air, fire, water and spirit in the context of treating depression: http://wildhunt.org/2015/01/treating-depression-in-a-pagan-context.html

In the comments of that thread, I learned that Cat Treadwell wrote a book called "Facing the Darkness" aimed at pagans suffering from depression.

Also, Sable Aradia has a good blog post on a pagan perspective of treatment: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2014/10/seekers-and-guides-the-downward-spiral-depression-and-suicide-in-paganism-part-two/

Personally, I use a Kala rite to transform worries, distress, and negative issues into something pure and empowering. I've used it with success while accompanying Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Dryad

• View Profile
    • http://witchybusiness.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 04:02:43 pm »
I've struggled with my mental health and finding medications and other treatments that worked for almost 20 years...trying 5 medications and having none of them be suitable is definitely not something uncommon.  Throughout my life I've been on at least twelve different ones, most of which didn't work, some of which did, and some of which did and then suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason.

Some things I do in my daily life to help myself cope that are not medication-related include:

Meditation - I prefer guided meditations, which you can either buy or find for free online.  I lie on my bed, and play a guided meditation through headphones, allowing myself to focus on nothing but that.  You can get meditations that are very specific, for all sorts of different situations.

Positive Affirmations - I have several decks of cards that have powerful affirmations on them, and quite often I'll pull a card from a deck and try and focus my day around that.  Having something to focus on can really help get through the day.

Herbal teas - I use herbal teas to help calm my anxiety.  In particular, I favour a blend of chamomile, mint and lavender, which is calming and makes me feel quite relaxed.  I grow my own herbs, so blend this myself, and drink it whenever I'm feeling anxious.

Change of scenery - Sometimes, when things are really bad, I'll go for a change of scenery - whether that be going out for a short walk, or even moving to a different part of my apartment, sometimes it helps refresh my mind and makes me feel better.

I hope that you're able to get the treatment that you need!

Allaya

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: It's Complicated
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »
Quote from: Dryad;188340
I hope that you're able to get the treatment that you need!

A Reminder:
Hi Dryad,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Allaya
TC Forum Staff
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 07:01:51 am »
I'm not looking for specific spells... just... does anyone have advice or experience with utilizing either just rituals or specific meditation techniques or spells or something to assist with their mental health?

My parents will not allow me to take medication while I'm living under their roof... and the alcohol I have been using to calm me down is not healthy. I have disabling levels of anxiety, and while I'm not expecting anything to fix it, if something can help me get better control over it, that would be amazing.

I do often use tarot to help clarify things for myself, to help me make decisions or calm me down about something I may be worrying about... and I do follow some guided meditations... but I'd love to hear of any other practices or ideas that I could look into. :)

I'm sorry to hear that your parents are less than understanding. :(

I have struggled with anxiety, depression, and manic periods since I was fairly young, but my family had the opposite reaction. My mom wanted me to be medicated, but none of the meds I tried were effective.

I found that the most important aspect of any kind of treatment/activity was consistency. The consistency alone calmed me down quite a bit. For example, I do NOT feel like getting up to do ritual in the morning when I am depressed. That is exactly when I need ritual the most, so I do it anyway. It doesn't feel exactly the same, but I usually feel at least a little better knowing that I accomplished something that day. I feel more connected to the world around me and to my inner self, the part of me that isn't currently malfunctioning.

The same goes for exercise, supplements, etc. Going for a walk the same time every day is more beneficial for my anxiety/depression than walking "when I can," because for me that translates to almost never when I am not feeling 100%.

Also, I'm not sure where in the USA you live or what your area is like, but weed worked much better for me than alcohol ever did. I drank pretty heavily in high school, by myself, because I had insomnia.  If nothing else, weed made me sleep when absolutely nothing else would. (Plus, I didn't have to deal with hangovers and I wasn't constantly dehydrated anymore.)  I'm not suggesting you break the law, but if you can get it legally in your area, it wouldn't hurt to try.

Good luck, and I hope you get the help you need soon.

Edited to Add:

Question-do your parents know your drinking instead of taking medication? If so, the argument could perhaps be made that you are already self-medicating yourself in a harmful way, and they should let you get the meds from a doctor that won't harm your body so much.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:04:10 am by MeadowRae »
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »

My parents will not allow me to take medication while I'm living under their roof... and the alcohol I have been using to calm me down is not healthy. I have disabling levels of anxiety, and while I'm not expecting anything to fix it, if something can help me get better control over it, that would be amazing.

I do often use tarot to help clarify things for myself, to help me make decisions or calm me down about something I may be worrying about... and I do follow some guided meditations... but I'd love to hear of any other practices or ideas that I could look into. :)
Firstly, if you are 18 or above, I'd advise consulting with a doctor (general practitioner, psychologist, psychiatrist, or neurologist). I would suggest that if you can afford medication that is prescribed to you to either not tell your parents or (if necessary) lie to them.
Your mental health, wellbeing, and true will, are more important than what your parents want for you.
You should always put yourself before other people (with the 1 exception of being a parent responsible for your children).
If your parents thwart your will then you should move out of their house. Finding a job to support yourself in doing this would thus be part of the plan to move out.

After (and during the tint) you have exhausted medical avenues, you must make a plan for meditation.

The tarot provides a system where you can learn to know yourself. You must identify the cause of your depression. Then you must identify the cause of the cause. There are no unsolvable mysterious concerning self knowledge. However, as you are no doubt aware, it is not always easy to know thyself.

The tarot is a pictorial representation of the Qabalistic Tree of Life. I would suggest acquainted yourself with the Tree. This can be helpful in identifying which sphere/sephirah of your psyche has the problem. It will also show you relationships between different spheres. If you find that it is hard to work with Mars for instance, you may at least be able to soften it's influence with Jupiter.

It will not be a quick fix. High Magick amounts to psychotherapy and will take years to become adept and more to master. However, every moment of practice is valuable and will teach you many self insights.

The Tarot can be helpful by meditating on a single card each day in order of 10-Ace, princess-knight of disks, then swords, then cups, and finally wands.
This will teach you the elements within them. Focus on how the cards make you feel, not what their intellectual meanings are.
Then follow the major arcana backwards from the highest number to the lowest number. This will give you an idea of your spiritual nature.

This meditation will improve your intuition, give you a greater understanding of the cards, and help you to identify the cause of your depression. Once you know the cause, you will be able to ask the cards what you must do to solve the problem.

Here is a reading list of books to aid in your understanding the Qabalah and the Tarot (both being two parts of the same thing).

The last book is an occult fiction that will walk you through the growing/attaining process of self discovery and spiritual evolution. A must for any serious occultist.

-Wimsaur..

Reading List:
Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune.
The Book of Thoth by Aleister Crowley.
The Red Lion, The Elixir of Eternal Life by Maria Szepes
Kybalion by Three Initiates

Tags: