collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: quicky blessing type gesture?  (Read 3038 times)

monsnoleedra

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 957
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:53:41 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;53902
thanks for that. yknow technically the cross is a symbolic crossroads,lol.
anyhow,I've got alot to think over and work with.
might just come up with my own something that works for me ala wickermans suggestion.


Going off topic but if you wouldn't mind could you expound upon the bolded statement?  I do not personaly see how something used to hang a person upon is symbolic of a crossroad.  Especailly when you consider the initial symbology for Christianity was the Fish with the cross not selected until much later.

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »
Quote from: Agonistes;53834
The pentagram is a pagan symbol, at least for Pythagoreanism and then later for general protection.


Hanging my post here because it seems to be the best place.

In addition to that, it is a shape that's found quite often in nature. So it seems like a logical symbol for anyone who's path is nature based. My path isn't solely nature based, but a respect for nature and tapping into elemental energies for spell work is a part of what I do. The pentagram is my religious symbol of choice for a variety of reasons.

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;53909
Going off topic but if you wouldn't mind could you expound upon the bolded statement?  I do not personaly see how something used to hang a person upon is symbolic of a crossroad.  Especailly when you consider the initial symbology for Christianity was the Fish with the cross not selected until much later.

 
because its cross shaped....?
if I had no idea what it meant in terms of christianity and no idea what 'red cross' was in terms of first aid help etc. I could easily see them upon first glance as some sort of symbolic crossroads if that's my previous encounters with x shape symbology or T or Y etc.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Emma Eldritch

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 67
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;53902
thanks for that. yknow technically the cross is a symbolic crossroads,lol.
anyhow,I've got alot to think over and work with.

 
If you could find an equal-armed cross, sure. A regular crucifix I would think would still be pretty well associated with Jesus.

I'm sure you'll find something that works well for you. You could also maybe just adopt something already meaningful to you and magically charge that up. You know, if you have a necklace or something you habitually wear anyway.

monsnoleedra

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 957
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;53933
because its cross shaped....?
if I had no idea what it meant in terms of christianity and no idea what 'red cross' was in terms of first aid help etc. I could easily see them upon first glance as some sort of symbolic crossroads if that's my previous encounters with x shape symbology or T or Y etc.


Thank you for the clarrification.

Perhaps just me but I don't think I could see a cross as anything but a cross.  To me it would be like looking at an Ankh and trying to see a crossroads in that.

I do think part of it though is I know what they are so could not assume what I would think had I never encountered one.  Especially since it also promotes the question in that would the X, Y or T shape be utilized for cross-roads.  One part is being assumed based upon knowledge of what the other was used for.

It's like I've seen R shaped Cross-Roads in Spain.  They utilize a process where to make a left hand turn across traffic you pull to the right and loop around to have a straight shot across in places so you clear the travel way.  Seen a few that were actually elevated so one passed beneath the other.  Heck even a round-about is a cross-roads except you pass through a circular center to enter or exit onto the next leg.  One might even go so far as to look at the clover leaf pattern that is used in major highway projects, again cross-roads but cleary not an X, T, Y or cross pattern.

spoOk

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 411
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;53964
Thank you for the clarrification.

Perhaps just me but I don't think I could see a cross as anything but a cross.  To me it would be like looking at an Ankh and trying to see a crossroads in that.

I do think part of it though is I know what they are so could not assume what I would think had I never encountered one.  Especially since it also promotes the question in that would the X, Y or T shape be utilized for cross-roads.  One part is being assumed based upon knowledge of what the other was used for.

It's like I've seen R shaped Cross-Roads in Spain.  They utilize a process where to make a left hand turn across traffic you pull to the right and loop around to have a straight shot across in places so you clear the travel way.  Seen a few that were actually elevated so one passed beneath the other.  Heck even a round-about is a cross-roads except you pass through a circular center to enter or exit onto the next leg.  One might even go so far as to look at the clover leaf pattern that is used in major highway projects, again cross-roads but cleary not an X, T, Y or cross pattern.

 
valid observation.
actually on that it took me a while to get it when people spoke of a three way crossroads,to see it as a Y. I automatically think of a dead end T intersection when I think three way crossroad.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Agonistes

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 92
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 08:08:36 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;53908
But it still goes back to magical based usage and systems.  Not really to religious or spiritual based practices until later when it gets adopted by paganism.    Though it seem's to have re-birthed beneath the many magical schools that took root in Egypt and in Greece.  I suppose for most of pagandom it's another thing that is supposedly reclaimed from the Satanic charges the church made against its usage.

Though I suppose part of it derives from how one defines "Pagan".  I do not see Pagan or Paganism as a religion or Spirituality but a descriptor for a group of practices that claim a heritage derived from pre-Christian cults or inspired by them and their gods / goddesses.




Is that book published in English or Greek?  Based upon the title it looks to be in Greek.  Thank you though for it gives me something else to check out.

 
I agree it was not adopted for anything magical until ceremonial magic, and you are correct--it didn't have it's re-birth until the a lot of the modern magical societies took root.

And the book itself is in Greek, I will find out for you where my friend got it from, but I think she bought many copies of it while visiting Greece. I'm not 100% sure how she came about it, but she came back with copies of them. I will find out where.

ccardinot

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 69
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:17 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;53909
Going off topic but if you wouldn't mind could you expound upon the bolded statement?  I do not personaly see how something used to hang a person upon is symbolic of a crossroad.  Especailly when you consider the initial symbology for Christianity was the Fish with the cross not selected until much later.

 
My personal magical symbol of choice is a equal - armed cross, for it represents not only a cross roads, but also equality between the sacred masculine (vertical bar) and feminine (horizontal bar), thus the importance of duality and how it promotes balance.

I picked this symbol for 3 reasons: 1) the explanation above; 2) it flies nearly under the radar among my christian counterparts (too many of them in the area where I live), 3) is aesthetically pleasing to me.

Nightwind

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 70
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: quicky blessing type gesture?
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;53601
I was thinking about how Christians cross themselves for a quick protection in various situations and it made me wonder:
is there a similar simple phrase and or gesture related to hoodoo,folk magic or even hekate (personal preference) that anyone knows of that would serve the same purpose?

 
This may sound silly, but I once read in a paganish fantasy novel and the main character kissed the 'half moon at the base of the thumbnail' and for some reason that resonated with me so I generally do that. For me as long as the gesture means something to me personally it doesn't matter if it has some socioreligious context.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
1679 Views
Last post June 10, 2012, 08:44:39 am
by Aster Breo
87 Replies
5567 Views
Last post December 21, 2013, 05:03:59 am
by MadZealot
5 Replies
1630 Views
Last post January 05, 2014, 02:36:29 pm
by NanLT
16 Replies
1207 Views
Last post April 19, 2014, 07:20:37 am
by Kyndyl
1 Replies
2243 Views
Last post February 17, 2016, 09:46:40 am
by Jenett

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall