collapse

Author Topic: Questions on choosing the right spell  (Read 4088 times)

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Questions on choosing the right spell
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:10:03 pm »
I am VERY new to spell casting...and in my life, if it CAN go wrong...it WILL. I am very hesitant to try anything that has more than three lines of instructions, including the materials list.

That said, how do you go about choosing the right spell?  Especially if there are quite a number of them that will achieve the same purpose?

Thanks so much for your help.

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:44 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;42764
I am VERY new to spell casting...and in my life, if it CAN go wrong...it WILL. I am very hesitant to try anything that has more than three lines of instructions, including the materials list.

That said, how do you go about choosing the right spell?  Especially if there are quite a number of them that will achieve the same purpose?

Thanks so much for your help.

 
I too am new to spell casting, but I was directed to the book "Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om.  This book has greatly assisted me, not just how to formulate spells, but how to utilize my own energies.

Aqua

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 51
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;42764
I am VERY new to spell casting...and in my life, if it CAN go wrong...it WILL. I am very hesitant to try anything that has more than three lines of instructions, including the materials list.

That said, how do you go about choosing the right spell?  Especially if there are quite a number of them that will achieve the same purpose?

Thanks so much for your help.

 
Hmm, you are kinda speeding up this whole process. You can start by reading Pagan Primer , find your pantheon, find your patron deites and instead of spellcasting, you can pray and hope to get what you need , not what you want. You can also read books on the subject, you'll find some here Good resources on Wicca.
And about the " right spell ", a spell will be right if it feels right for you and it'll feel the best if it's written by you.
Before any spell don't forget to meditate, ground and center yourself for knowing your true intent and achieving the best result.
I hope I could help you out. Anyway if you have any questions that you can't ask here, pm me.
~Aqua

Jenett

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Posts: 3050
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 584
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:22 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;42764

That said, how do you go about choosing the right spell?  Especially if there are quite a number of them that will achieve the same purpose?


Step 1: Have a very clear idea of what you're trying to accomplish.

Step 2: Do various checks to make sure that is a reasonable thing to accomplish, and whether there are any non-magical actions you can take to help that you are not already doing.

(Spells to bring a great partner to you are not much good if you never put yourself in situations where you might meet someone new. Spells to get a job are not going to do it if you're not also sending out resumes and great cover letters. Etc.)  

Step 3: Figure out what approaches to magical work you're comfortable with, and in particular, comfortable with for this working. Some of these are personal. I like cord magic for some things, and candle magic sometimes, and visualisation sometimes - but which one I use depends a lot on my mood, how long I want to maintain a working, and some practical limits.

(Am I going to be travelling during the duration of the working? Cord work is a lot more practical to pack than a candle.)

Step 4: Contemplate spells. I create my own, though I'll occasionally look at other people's for inspiration (particularly the stuff that has a solid background in folk magic practice.)

For me, magic is a way of focusing and honing my own will and intention, shaping it in the ether, and then bringing it into being. So, I'm not relying on the 'perfect combination' in a spell to do the work for me: I have a lot of flexibility.

(The downside to this method is two fold: first, it takes practice and skill-building. And secondly, it can be less available and less reliable: if I'm tired or can't focus, there's a lot bigger limit on what I can do magically than someone who follows a "do these steps, magic ensues" approach.)

Step 5: If there's something I'm not sure of, I ask trusted friends to help me frame it. For people who are new to magic, asking (in a forum that's welcoming to it) to help you refine it can be good. (We've certainly done that around here, in the past.)

Generally, I say "Here's the thing I'm trying to do", "Here's the way I'm thinking of going about it" and then anything else that might be relevant. ("I'd contemplated candle magic over the next half lunar cycle, but I'm going to be travelling, so no." or whatever.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:22:33 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;42768
I too am new to spell casting, but I was directed to the book "Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om.  This book has greatly assisted me, not just how to formulate spells, but how to utilize my own energies.

 
Thank you...I will be checking out this book. :)

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42774
Hmm, you are kinda speeding up this whole process. You can start by reading Pagan Primer , find your pantheon, find your patron deites and instead of spellcasting, you can pray and hope to get what you need , not what you want. You can also read books on the subject, you'll find some here Good resources on Wicca.
And about the " right spell ", a spell will be right if it feels right for you and it'll feel the best if it's written by you.
Before any spell don't forget to meditate, ground and center yourself for knowing your true intent and achieving the best result.
I hope I could help you out. Anyway if you have any questions that you can't ask here, pm me.

 
Thank You...I may have to take you up on that sometime. :)

Aqua

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 51
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 07:25:16 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;42816
Thank You...I may have to take you up on that sometime. :)

You're welcome. And about the pm, anytime sweetie.
~Aqua

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:27:05 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;42794


(Spells to bring a great partner to you are not much good if you never put yourself in situations where you might meet someone new. Spells to get a job are not going to do it if you're not also sending out resumes and great cover letters. Etc.)  

Step 3: Figure out what approaches to magical work you're comfortable with, and in particular, comfortable with for this working. Some of these are personal. I like cord magic for some things, and candle magic sometimes, and visualisation sometimes - but which one I use depends a lot on my mood, how long I want to maintain a working, and some practical limits

 
All very sound advice....thank you so much. :)

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42774
Hmm, you are kinda speeding up this whole process. You can start by reading Pagan Primer , find your pantheon, find your patron deites and instead of spellcasting, you can pray and hope to get what you need , not what you want. You can also read books on the subject, you'll find some here Good resources on Wicca.


I just want to point out that pantheons, patrons and deities aren't necessary in spell casting. Witchcraft and religion can (and often do) go hand in hand, but spells don't require religion to be effective. There are many, many witches out there doing magic without any religious component at all.

Marilyn/Absentminded

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 975
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:29 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;42924
There are many, many witches out there doing magic without any religious component at all.

Not to mention, there is nothing wrong with getting what you want, either.

Absent
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:34:43 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

   In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;42938
Not to mention, there is nothing wrong with getting what you want, either.

Absent


*snicker*

I am with you on THAT one!

ccardinot

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 69
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:33 pm »
Quote from: fallenangel;42948
*snicker*

I am with you on THAT one!

 
As you're a beginner, I'd follow these folk advices, they're sound and sweet. But I'd also pick the simplest ones possible, and double - check if the materials are:

1) absolutely necessary - sometimes you'll find two or three herbs in a spell that does basically the same thing.

2) readily available - once it happenned to me that a certain item was something nearly impossible to find within the area I live, and, if I'd buy it, it would have to be from overseas, which would cost me a fortune, so, if this is the case,

3) have local correspondences - it's proved by all religious systems and science that for each group of qualities we want to find in a herb or stone, there are other three or four varieties we can use safely and are commonly available within the area you live, so stick with it.

4) safe to use - in candomblé and umbanda, for example, there's a practice to use candles, and cloth and black gun powder, if these material are together within the same room with a lit candle, things tend to burn and explode, so, keep always your safety and well being in first place, right?

5) doesn't harm anyone - even though it's self -explanatory, explanation is never too much. Every single magical working you do must harm no one unintended, not even yourself. So, before you even start it, think, rethink, and think again, and, even after that, think a bit more. To think is never too much.

So, following these guidelines, you most probably are going to be as successful as possible in your magical workings. Keep smiling, keep shining and be the light you want the world to have.


Cheers!

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »
Quote from: ccardinot;43025
As you're a beginner, I'd follow these folk advices, they're sound and sweet. But I'd also pick the simplest ones possible, and double - check if the materials are:

1) absolutely necessary - sometimes you'll find two or three herbs in a spell that does basically the same thing.

2) readily available - once it happenned to me that a certain item was something nearly impossible to find within the area I live, and, if I'd buy it, it would have to be from overseas, which would cost me a fortune, so, if this is the case,

3) have local correspondences - it's proved by all religious systems and science that for each group of qualities we want to find in a herb or stone, there are other three or four varieties we can use safely and are commonly available within the area you live, so stick with it.

4) safe to use - in candomblé and umbanda, for example, there's a practice to use candles, and cloth and black gun powder, if these material are together within the same room with a lit candle, things tend to burn and explode, so, keep always your safety and well being in first place, right?

5) doesn't harm anyone - even though it's self -explanatory, explanation is never too much. Every single magical working you do must harm no one unintended, not even yourself. So, before you even start it, think, rethink, and think again, and, even after that, think a bit more. To think is never too much.

So, following these guidelines, you most probably are going to be as successful as possible in your magical workings. Keep smiling, keep shining and be the light you want the world to have.


Cheers!

Not every tradition has that carved-in-stone prohibition against harming others. Even many Wiccan groups consider a flat "harm none" to be emasculating the actual Wiccan Rede.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »
Quote from: ccardinot;43025
As you're a beginner, I'd follow these folk advices, they're sound and sweet. But I'd also pick the simplest ones possible, and double - check if the materials are:

1) absolutely necessary - sometimes you'll find two or three herbs in a spell that does basically the same thing.

2) readily available - once it happenned to me that a certain item was something nearly impossible to find within the area I live, and, if I'd buy it, it would have to be from overseas, which would cost me a fortune, so, if this is the case,

3) have local correspondences - it's proved by all religious systems and science that for each group of qualities we want to find in a herb or stone, there are other three or four varieties we can use safely and are commonly available within the area you live, so stick with it.

4) safe to use - in candomblé and umbanda, for example, there's a practice to use candles, and cloth and black gun powder, if these material are together within the same room with a lit candle, things tend to burn and explode, so, keep always your safety and well being in first place, right?

5) doesn't harm anyone - even though it's self -explanatory, explanation is never too much. Every single magical working you do must harm no one unintended, not even yourself. So, before you even start it, think, rethink, and think again, and, even after that, think a bit more. To think is never too much.

So, following these guidelines, you most probably are going to be as successful as possible in your magical workings. Keep smiling, keep shining and be the light you want the world to have.


Cheers!

 
All very sound advice too...Thank you so much.

fallenangel

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 72
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on choosing the right spell
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;43042
Not every tradition has that carved-in-stone prohibition against harming others. Even many Wiccan groups consider a flat "harm none" to be emasculating the actual Wiccan Rede.

 
I pray I NEVER see the day in which I would deliberately set out to harm someone either in my magick or everyday dealings....myself included. Believe me, there are times I would LOVE to "do unto others", but at the end of the day, I have to live with myself.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
1464 Views
Last post February 08, 2013, 06:44:33 pm
by Cabal
14 Replies
2494 Views
Last post March 25, 2013, 07:05:31 pm
by Jack
8 Replies
3290 Views
Last post August 07, 2013, 10:59:20 am
by ALiteraryLady
0 Replies
1254 Views
Last post August 23, 2013, 06:04:37 am
by Asch
2 Replies
547 Views
Last post February 12, 2014, 09:55:20 am
by Unakite5

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall