Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Protection from a deceased pet?  (Read 7402 times)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Seeker
Protection from a deceased pet?
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:57:20 pm »
I'm not certain this is the right place to ask this.

A wild animal has been threatening my children on our property. This has been ongoing for a couple of weeks. I've been trying to determine how to deal with it. Due to where we live and the specifics of the situation, it is more complicated than it should be.

I told my husband that I wished I had the ability to handle it magically, but I'm well aware that this is beyond what I currently know.

I then had a dream where a deceased pet of ours came back and dealt with the situation.

It was a vivid dream. After, during my morning prayers, I requested the help of this deceased animal. This is also beyond my comfort zone or current understanding, but I was following my gut despite being a bit uncomfortable with it.

It seems to have worked. Since then, there has been no sign that the wild animal has been back on our property. I am still extremely cautious due to the safety risk and not knowing if it is for sure gone, but this is the longest we've gone without seeing sign of it since the situation started.

This is mind boggling to me as a newbie. So I thought I would ask here. Is this a thing? Do deceased pets still have any ability to stay with us or assist us? The more things like this happen in my life, the more I sincerely worry that I am losing touch with reality.  ::)

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Protection from a deceased pet?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:35:38 pm »
I'm not certain this is the right place to ask this.

Not loosing touch. There are tons of things happening around everyone daily. You are just starting to notice. I have not contacted a deceased pet so I can't tell you that has happened. What kind of wild animal is it?

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:39:41 pm »
Is this a thing?

This is a bit beyond my level too, honestly; but I do recall that when I posted here on TC seeking condolence following the passing of a beloved pet, a couple of members responded that they'd received communication from their passed-over pets (be it in dreams, or whatever have you) reassuring them that their pets were alright following their passing.  I've not experienced anything like it myself (despite inviting it) but I do believe it's possible.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:25 pm »
Not loosing touch. There are tons of things happening around everyone daily. You are just starting to notice. I have not contacted a deceased pet so I can't tell you that has happened. What kind of wild animal is it?

Forgive me for not answering. I'm deep in the closet still as experimenting with spiritual practices outside of fundamentalist Christianity and paranoid about putting specifics out there that friends or family might immediately connect to my situation.

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:09:12 pm »
This is a bit beyond my level too, honestly; but I do recall that when I posted here on TC seeking condolence following the passing of a beloved pet, a couple of members responded that they'd received communication from their passed-over pets (be it in dreams, or whatever have you) reassuring them that their pets were alright following their passing.  I've not experienced anything like it myself (despite inviting it) but I do believe it's possible.

The night my pet passed was the night I did my first pagan ritual. It simply felt like the right way to honor that wild spirit. My pet has since shown up in my dreams several times, usually right around major pagan holidays. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I am grateful for it. Also a little worried. This is all very new to me.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:04:01 pm »
The night my pet passed was the night I did my first pagan ritual. It simply felt like the right way to honor that wild spirit. My pet has since shown up in my dreams several times, usually right around major pagan holidays. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I am grateful for it. Also a little worried. This is all very new to me.

The idea doesn't seem all that strange to me. Calling on ancestors for aid is a practice in many cultures around the world, and it makes sense to me that this would extend to other deceased community members, such as pets. Add to that that living pets have a role (culturally if not individually) in protecting their humans and home, warning of danger and so on.

You might consider lighting a candle to your pet's memory, or some other form of offering like their favorite food or activity, as thanks and to build up the connection. It's entirely possible your pet has stuck around as a spirit guide/guardian angel/etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 07:26:01 pm »
This is mind boggling to me as a newbie. So I thought I would ask here. Is this a thing? Do deceased pets still have any ability to stay with us or assist us? The more things like this happen in my life, the more I sincerely worry that I am losing touch with reality.  ::)

It's not something I've had happen directly (for one thing, I've had only one pet as an adult who's died...) but I've had friends and groupmates with some similar experiences. What you do about that depends a lot on how you feel about the idea of non-physical protectors (a grouping that includes ancestors of various kinds and beloved dead, and can also include pets. As well as other kinds of beings.)

Related, a number of people I know have had a strong feeling that a beloved deceased pet has sent a new pet to their old people, to take care of them, both physically and more metaphysically.

So, yeah, I can totally believe that's a thing that's happened. If you wanted, you could do something about reinforcing the protected space (walking it is traditional, or maybe walking around the edges you can and tying something small and biodegradable - linen or cotton strips, wool yarn etc...) to mark the edges. And then leave out a suitable offering for your beloved pet (a little bit of food they liked, a bowl of water, maybe a favourite type of toy...) and spend a little time remembering them periodically. (Once a week, once a lunar cycle, every Sabbat, something like that.) 

(Also, with my staffly hat nearby, I just want to make it clear that it's always okay to say you've shared as much information as you care to about personal situations.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:27:26 pm »
The idea doesn't seem all that strange to me. Calling on ancestors for aid is a practice in many cultures around the world, and it makes sense to me that this would extend to other deceased community members, such as pets. Add to that that living pets have a role (culturally if not individually) in protecting their humans and home, warning of danger and so on.

You might consider lighting a candle to your pet's memory, or some other form of offering like their favorite food or activity, as thanks and to build up the connection. It's entirely possible your pet has stuck around as a spirit guide/guardian angel/etc.

I have been calling on my ancestors and beloved dead almost daily. I never thought about that including pets, but it's nice to know that this idea makes sense to others. I will light a candle for his memory, thanks for the idea.

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:40 pm »
So, yeah, I can totally believe that's a thing that's happened. If you wanted, you could do something about reinforcing the protected space (walking it is traditional, or maybe walking around the edges you can and tying something small and biodegradable - linen or cotton strips, wool yarn etc...) to mark the edges.

I've been wondering about ways to reinforce the boundary, thanks for the idea. Would sprinkling a bit of herbs and salt on the perimeter be appropriate as well?

Corr

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidism
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 01:18:18 am »

Is this a thing? Do deceased pets still have any ability to stay with us or assist us? The more things like this happen in my life, the more I sincerely worry that I am losing touch with reality.  ::)

Yes this is a thing. No you're not losing your mind.

As other people have mention, there are plenty of festivities that involve honoring ancestors and that talk about ancestors who come back to visit family members. There's nothing that says that pets don't fall in this category either. Be happy that you have a pet who loved you and cared about you enough to come back and protect you and your family when you needed it.

If you have a family shrine or an altar that you do your magic work at, make sure to put an offering bowl out with a picture of your pet and give them their favorite food.  Make sure to remind them that you are grateful for the life you guys spent together and how much you cared for them.  They may not pop their head up all the time, but they might stop by from time to time just to make sure you guys are okay and want to spend time with you.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:27:41 pm »
I've been wondering about ways to reinforce the boundary, thanks for the idea. Would sprinkling a bit of herbs and salt on the perimeter be appropriate as well?

For purposes of reinforcing warding, I'd be cautious - the challenge is that putting salt outside is damaging to plants, and herbs aren't a terribly stable point (i.e. they'll blow away).

If you want to do an offering thing, I might just do water, or maybe water with a light amount of suitable fertilizer for the plants where you're pouring it.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:05:35 pm »
For purposes of reinforcing warding, I'd be cautious - the challenge is that putting salt outside is damaging to plants, and herbs aren't a terribly stable point (i.e. they'll blow away).

If you want to do an offering thing, I might just do water, or maybe water with a light amount of suitable fertilizer for the plants where you're pouring it.

Ah, this makes sense. I didn't think about the fact that when the herbs blew away the protection might as well.

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:26:55 pm »
Ah, this makes sense. I didn't think about the fact that when the herbs blew away the protection might as well.

What about putting Popsicle sticks in the ground around the edge with small protection symbols drawn on them, just a protective color or a drop of essential oil?

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:50 pm »
What about putting Popsicle sticks in the ground around the edge with small protection symbols drawn on them, just a protective color or a drop of essential oil?

Another good idea. Thanks!

Beloved

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 10:24:56 pm »

It seems to have worked. Since then, there has been no sign that the wild animal has been back on our property. I am still extremely cautious due to the safety risk and not knowing if it is for sure gone, but this is the longest we've gone without seeing sign of it since the situation started.

As an update. . . it is still working. I caught sight of the animal a few days ago but it ran away from me. There have been no issues with the animal since the dream. I am working on reinforcing the boundary to maintain this and have also given thanks to my pet. It just makes me miss him all the more though!  :'(

Tags: