Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: picture/painting magic  (Read 1691 times)

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
picture/painting magic
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
I am an artist, and from time to time I am Inspired. I capitalize it because I consider these moments of inspiration to be truly great, moments when I am touched by a muse or some such. Regardless in those moments I find that I don't labor or struggle for my art. It flows..ok flows is not the right term. It gushes in those moments. It practicaly demands an outlet.

In the end I tend to have two results. 1. a personal result, I find that i have reached a new plateau in my artistic skills. 2. I am left with an item that is more than the sum of its parts. I am left with a picture or image that to me ( and my other group members ) thrumms with energy, sometimes even having a spirit or being attatched to it.

After the first time this happened I took to encorperating this into my personal craft, most of my spells and rituals now involve a picture or painting. I have even taken grinding some softer gemstones like kyanite and garnet or amber and bloodstone to mix with the inks.

I'm curious as always if anyone else works like this or similarly. If they have regularly or even just as a mulligan one time thing. I am also looking for suggestions or input, thoughts, opinions, basicly w.e. you have I'll take it.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: picture/painting magic
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:18:55 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;80724

I'm curious as always if anyone else works like this or similarly. If they have regularly or even just as a mulligan one time thing. I am also looking for suggestions or input, thoughts, opinions, basicly w.e. you have I'll take it.

I go on painting binges sometimes and during those times I don't sketch or plan. It is as if time is a thing on a shelf. I have fallen asleep on the floor by the paints and whatever is being used as a canvas. After a binge like this, my hair needs cutting because I'll have chopped off pieces of it to use in lieu of brushes that have become undone. I've been hauled up from a rug with paint in the ends of my hair that I didn't even bother to cut off to use. I typically do not remember much and the pieces have been snatched up by family members and friends. These sessions have lasted for days and have left me weak and exhausted.

I haven't been on such a binge in several years and the only painting I have done is to try to represent things I have seen or just doodling. I have to plan those and they do not remotely resemble the style that comes from a binge session. I am not deft or very talented even, but I enjoy doing it. And this is also different from a binge session where enjoyment is irrelevant. When I see a painting from one of those binge times in the home of a family member, I frequently do not recognize it as my own work. I totally recognize my other planned work though. It's very amateur and goofy.

As far a magic and whatnot goes, I have considered these bouts and the products to be almost channeled. But I have no training in that, so I can't say for sure what it is. I know the pieces from those times get claimed quickly though. Not so much my painting for enjoyment pieces. :) So there may be something in them that is a draw of some kind. Can't say for sure.

I cannot seem to invite these sessions and have wanted to.  I resign to let them come when they come and keep supplies around. But I have thought that I may never have another one too. Perhaps they're over for good. I'm cool with that too.

There are such things as spirit paintings.  Many, maybe most I don't know, have a suspect history, and people have gone to lengths to debunk them. Other people regard them in an reverential way. The main hotel at Lilydale hosts several spirit paintings. They are free to see even without booking a room. But they are part of the draw of Lilydale and the place in general does turn a profit. I stood in front of them and only felt drawn to examine the brushwork and details. But there is one there that has had me looking over my shoulder more than a few times. It is the one of Azur.  Discussions of it and other spirit paintings  that I have found and been involved in range from woo to shenanigans. I've run across more skeptics than believers. I cannot say I am a believer, but I do think if the Campbells were alive today they would not be regarded as charlatans any more than other spirit workers are. Older spirit paintings do not get the same scrutiny as more modern ones I've noticed. I am unschooled as to what the standards are for regarding such works.

The only input I have as far as suggestions go is to keep making stuff! Keep creating.

There are some talented artists that sometimes come to TC. If you're lucky, your timing may be good and they may have some input for you.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »

I get images in my mind, that I believe that are not only true but (independent of me) want to be part of this world instead of whatever world I'm looking through in my mind... but, far be it for me to presume to add to mythology or add to canon or start my own cult. So, I make it a fiction, and call it "fantasy illustration" or "my NaNo project".

But sometimes it's really fiction, like, "OMG-without-the-G this would look so cool!" or "OMG-without-the-G it would be so cool if this happened except that it probably wouldn't and can't in any case but it would make a cool story!" And that feels like an entirely different process. Those I really call "fantasy illustration" or "my NaNo project" but I mean it when I say it about them-- and nothing more. I feel confident that those finished pieces are skillful but are not true beyond themselves.

But maybe it's all one. I'd be very worried if (gods willing) I became a successful animator or novelist, and somebody took products from that latter thought process that I laid out, and told me that parts of it resonated with them so much that I must have been channeling something... and they're off to start a cult. I'd be uncomfortable. But, I do the same myself with other people's fictional works where the creators were very very sure that it was fictional and they're not prophets.

Right now I'm working with Shadowscapes Tarot cards, for example. And, I read about deck spirits, and I read about personal intuition, and traditional symbolism... but I feel that the Shadowscapes are something else. To me they feel like 78 photos in an album compiled by a tourist who was actually there.

I'm sure they are in fact a product of the talented Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's hard work and personal vision, The Happy Squirrel card is part of the major arcana on her site, for crying out loud, and if I meditate on that card and have a spiritual experience then... I will also feel very disconcerted, as much as I can appreciate its beauty.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:05 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;80735
I go on painting binges sometimes and during those times I don't sketch or plan. It is as if time is a thing on a shelf. I have fallen asleep on the floor by the paints and whatever is being used as a canvas. After a binge like this, my hair needs cutting because I'll have chopped off pieces of it to use in lieu of brushes that have become undone. I've been hauled up from a rug with paint in the ends of my hair that I didn't even bother to cut off to use. I typically do not remember much and the pieces have been snatched up by family members and friends. These sessions have lasted for days and have left me weak and exhausted.

I haven't been on such a binge in several years and the only painting I have done is to try to represent things I have seen or just doodling. I have to plan those and they do not remotely resemble the style that comes from a binge session. I am not deft or very talented even, but I enjoy doing it. And this is also different from a binge session where enjoyment is irrelevant. When I see a painting from one of those binge times in the home of a family member, I frequently do not recognize it as my own work. I totally recognize my other planned work though. It's very amateur and goofy.

As far a magic and whatnot goes, I have considered these bouts and the products to be almost channeled. But I have no training in that, so I can't say for sure what it is. I know the pieces from those times get claimed quickly though. Not so much my painting for enjoyment pieces. :) So there may be something in them that is a draw of some kind. Can't say for sure.

I cannot seem to invite these sessions and have wanted to.  I resign to let them come when they come and keep supplies around. But I have thought that I may never have another one too. Perhaps they're over for good. I'm cool with that too.

There are such things as spirit paintings.  Many, maybe most I don't know, have a suspect history, and people have gone to lengths to debunk them. Other people regard them in an reverential way. The main hotel at Lilydale hosts several spirit paintings. They are free to see even without booking a room. But they are part of the draw of Lilydale and the place in general does turn a profit. I stood in front of them and only felt drawn to examine the brushwork and details. But there is one there that has had me looking over my shoulder more than a few times. It is the one of Azur.  Discussions of it and other spirit paintings  that I have found and been involved in range from woo to shenanigans. I've run across more skeptics than believers. I cannot say I am a believer, but I do think if the Campbells were alive today they would not be regarded as charlatans any more than other spirit workers are. Older spirit paintings do not get the same scrutiny as more modern ones I've noticed. I am unschooled as to what the standards are for regarding such works.

The only input I have as far as suggestions go is to keep making stuff! Keep creating.

There are some talented artists that sometimes come to TC. If you're lucky, your timing may be good and they may have some input for you.

First off I need to say thank you, seriously. For sharing and for the information. I feel a lot better about the whole thing hearing your experiance with it and just having someone kind of jive with what I was talking about.

Second if you don't mind I am curious, after you had those sessions did you find your regular style altered at all? It seems like for me I am at a certain lvl in my artistic development, then one of those moments hits me for however long and when its all said and done, I'm somewhere else entirely. Sometimes I find that I am delving into a whole new medium for my art, other times a new style appeals to me.

In the end I am not able to reproduce a legit session or Inspiration on command but I can certainly come closer, its almost like I remember the "energy" of that moment and I can almost recreate it. Music helps lol

I get really frustrated at times though, because I kind of love those fits of Inspiration, its almost a high. When I can't induce it or recreate it I am kind of sad. My art is still a magical thing to me literally and as a figure of speech but I feel like I am really playing with the big dogs when I am fully in the moment.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:19 am »

I have even taken grinding some softer gemstones like kyanite and garnet or amber and bloodstone to mix with the inks.

I'm totally stealing this idea the next time I paint or touch up a statue.

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:32:42 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;80845
I'm totally stealing this idea the next time I paint or touch up a statue.

:D Please do, A friend of mine who works at our local pagans supply store mentioned that some softer gemstones could be ground up into powder and during a conversation and suggested that I try using it on some of my art.

I'm not really sure which ones work best as of yet but I know from personal experiance that with a decent mortar you can powder kyanite and selenite easily. Garnet tends to be a bit harder ( it makes more really fine grains and granuels than a powder ). Bloodstone can be a bit of a fighter too. and Amber works really well for me.

This is all with my wooden mortar, so if you have a solid stone one you could probably really get results. :D it all blends really well with the ink and paint, just be sure not to add too much or it'll be paste instead of liquid.  let me know how it works for you I would love to hear.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;80842
First off I need to say thank you, seriously. For sharing and for the information. I feel a lot better about the whole thing hearing your experiance with it and just having someone kind of jive with what I was talking about.

Second if you don't mind I am curious, after you had those sessions did you find your regular style altered at all? It seems like for me I am at a certain lvl in my artistic development, then one of those moments hits me for however long and when its all said and done, I'm somewhere else entirely. Sometimes I find that I am delving into a whole new medium for my art, other times a new style appeals to me.

In the end I am not able to reproduce a legit session or Inspiration on command but I can certainly come closer, its almost like I remember the "energy" of that moment and I can almost recreate it. Music helps lol

I get really frustrated at times though, because I kind of love those fits of Inspiration, its almost a high. When I can't induce it or recreate it I am kind of sad. My art is still a magical thing to me literally and as a figure of speech but I feel like I am really playing with the big dogs when I am fully in the moment.

The last one was so long ago that I do not remember much and since painting is not a regular activity for me, I'd be speculating about the effects. I did try to copy the style once after visiting my sister and seeing some on her walls, but by that time any energy from the session had long passed and I wasn't able to reproduce the style. However, comparison between sessions did show some advancement in the work. So yeah, I think skills did go to another level at least between sessions.

I am glad to hear you stay with it and are tracking your progress. What an interesting way to evolve artistically! That you are not waiting too long after doing it to paint, I suspect may help in retention and that would be awesome.

I do know what you mean about the high and feeling like playing with the big dogs. I call it "the zone" and I also would like to be able to invite such a thing at will. There is something special about it. Hard to describe. Time, pain, food, pretty much nothing else matters. I almost wrote it but deleted it because I was not sure how to phrase it well concerning the feeling of the energy after it was over other than being exhausted. I wrote "clean" but that's not right exactly. It felt like purified, awakened in a new way, like starting fresh but with a bonus. Still hard to describe it.

Perhaps since you are painting more regularly and are actively employing what you have acquired skill wise, you will be able to induce it more at will. That would be cool. I hope you can because it sounds like it is inspirational and productive. And hey, perhaps there is a spirit you are helping to have a go at creating. Or more than one.

I have used gemstone dust in different things. My father gave me a cheap little stone tumbler once (I broke it) but those things create plenty of gemstone dust from harder stones. If you cannot get one, perhaps if there is a gem stone store about with a tumbler of their own, they would be amenable to a trade of some sort for their dust? Might be worth a call or two. Home versions I have seen are 50-100$ and some are called rock polishers. Though the process of grinding can be different with different machines. I had one that used water and a metal tumbler and no other materials than the stones, so I didn't have to separate anything from the gem dust. And if you have a Dremel tool, a diamond bit runs about 4$ and using one will make some dust if applied to a rock; however, it is more time intensive for much less dust. And a mask and goggles are necessary.

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:40 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;80872

I have used gemstone dust in different things. My father gave me a cheap little stone tumbler once (I broke it) but those things create plenty of gemstone dust from harder stones. If you cannot get one, perhaps if there is a gem stone store about with a tumbler of their own, they would be amenable to a trade of some sort for their dust? Might be worth a call or two. Home versions I have seen are 50-100$ and some are called rock polishers. Though the process of grinding can be different with different machines. I had one that used water and a metal tumbler and no other materials than the stones, so I didn't have to separate anything from the gem dust. And if you have a Dremel tool, a diamond bit runs about 4$ and using one will make some dust if applied to a rock; however, it is more time intensive for much less dust. And a mask and goggles are necessary.

Oh snap.. you're a genious! My friend has a gemstone tumbler.. I'm not sure about what it uses I think it may use some grit sand that you add to the mix but maybe it can run without it. She also gave me a dremel a few months back I have been using it mostly for wood carving but I will check on the tips and see what I can find. :D

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;80855

This is all with my wooden mortar, so if you have a solid stone one you could probably really get results. :D it all blends really well with the ink and paint, just be sure not to add too much or it'll be paste instead of liquid.  let me know how it works for you I would love to hear.

I do have a heavy marble mortar that I've used many times to powder stones for spells, potions and such. I usually start with stones that are already tiny, like chip beads.

It will probably be a while before I have anything that needs painting, but I'll let you know how it comes out when I have an opportunity to try it.

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »
I am an artist, and from time to time I am Inspired. I capitalize it because I consider these moments of inspiration to be truly great, moments when I am touched by a muse or some such. Regardless in those moments I find that I don't labor or struggle for my art. It flows..ok flows is not the right term. It gushes in those moments. It practicaly demands an outlet.

In the end I tend to have two results. 1. a personal result, I find that i have reached a new plateau in my artistic skills. 2. I am left with an item that is more than the sum of its parts. I am left with a picture or image that to me ( and my other group members ) thrumms with energy, sometimes even having a spirit or being attatched to it.

After the first time this happened I took to encorperating this into my personal craft, most of my spells and rituals now involve a picture or painting. I have even taken grinding some softer gemstones like kyanite and garnet or amber and bloodstone to mix with the inks.

I do something similar with songs or poems. Some of the rituals I have written involve singing parts, or a poem reciting, and I truly feel the energy/magic that the art carries within while practicing this kind of magical ritual.

Tags: