Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Need some help identifying some objects/stones  (Read 1569 times)

Alits

• View Profile
  • Religion: Unknown
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Need some help identifying some objects/stones
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:42:02 pm »
Hi there! I'm brand new to these forums, and I'm relatively new to Wicca however, my mom has been Wiccan for a long time. Over the years she has given me things that I've kept, but not really utilized. A few being a small pouch of birdseed meant to be spread with intent (possibly? I know it's something related to Wicca, and she wanted me to do something with it, but I just can't remember. I've held on to it though). She also gave me three stones in a wire cage necklace. I know one is rose quartz, but the other two I'm having a bit of trouble identifying. I attached a photo of the three.

Should I keep them in the necklace together? I'm not sure what each stone represents/aids with, but I'm doing my best to research as a newbie.

If anyone could help me identify these stones and what the seed may be for, I'd really appreciate it. I'm desperately trying to get my things together, as I'm going through a pretty hard time in my life, so thanks in advance!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Need some help identifying some objects/stones
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:59:13 pm »
I attached a photo of the three.

It's always sort of hard to id stones from a photo. There are a number of online sites where you can look for information about common stones, and characteristics that might help you narrow down. 

The bottom one might be tiger's eye? And if the top right one is black, like it looks in the photo, I'm wondering if it might be obsidian.

Should I keep them in the necklace together? I'm not sure what each stone represents/aids with, but I'm doing my best to research as a newbie.

I'm assuming there's a reason you're not able to ask your mom about this - honestly, people have a variety of practices and associations, so other people can only guess at what her particular intentions and goals were with these.

Birdseed is used in some magical or ritual workings I'm familiar with to spread an intention widely - you scatter it so that it will become part of birds who will go all sorts of places (as well as some of it staying near where you scattered it...) Like other spells that carry intention, a lot of what it does is going to depend on the intention put into it, both when it was given to you, and when you disperse it. One of those, you have a lot more information about than we do, the other you have a lot of control over, if you decide to disperse it.

If you're not sure what was involved, but want to dispose of it in a way that isn't going to add new/different intent, then I'd suggest burying the seed together, burning it in a bonfire, or dropping it in a lake or other body of water, depending on your comfort levels with something else interacting with it.  (The bonfire is probably the most 'release anything here, and transform it into things' without the attachment)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:18:11 pm »
If anyone could help me identify these stones and what the seed may be for, I'd really appreciate it. I'm desperately trying to get my things together, as I'm going through a pretty hard time in my life, so thanks in advance!

Going by the rather metallic kind of sheen the bottom one has, I would say hematite. As Jenett notes, ID online from photos can be tricky - either the photography or the posting online can omit some qualities visible when handling them physically, and add the appearance of qualities that aren't present - so my guess about it applies only if it has a metallic sheen when you look at it... and is still just a guess.

I'm with Jenett that the upper right one could be obsidian if it's as black as it appears.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Alits

• View Profile
  • Religion: Unknown
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »
I'm assuming there's a reason you're not able to ask your mom about this - honestly, people have a variety of practices and associations, so other people can only guess at what her particular intentions and goals were with these.

My mom is currently vacationing in Canada with limited cell service, so asking her has been a challenge! That's all :)

I did some digging, and it looks like they're Rose Quartz, Obsidian and hematite. Both you and Sunflower have been so helpful! Thank you!
I'm going to call my mom once she's back state side, and ask her about the seed. I'm in NYC and my apartment actually attracts a lot of pigeons which I actually love, so maybe I'll scatter the seed for them. I just have to figure out...why I'm scattering it. My "intent", I suppose.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:08:00 pm »

Going by the rather metallic kind of sheen the bottom one has, I would say hematite.
*snip*
I'm with Jenett that the upper right one could be obsidian if it's as black as it appears.

Sunflower

I agree about the hematite.

The one on the upper right looks like it has a patch of white on it at the top. That could be consistent with snowflake obsidian. It could also be a jasper.

What is the main color of that stone? Are there any other markings?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 01:54:53 pm »
Hi there! I'm brand new to these forums, and I'm relatively new to Wicca however, my mom has been Wiccan for a long time. Over the years she has given me things that I've kept, but not really utilized. A few being a small pouch of birdseed meant to be spread with intent (possibly? I know it's something related to Wicca, and she wanted me to do something with it, but I just can't remember. I've held on to it though). She also gave me three stones in a wire cage necklace. I know one is rose quartz, but the other two I'm having a bit of trouble identifying. I attached a photo of the three.

To me, bottom is hematite, the upper right is a polished obsidian and the upper left... doesn't look like rose quartz - I was thinking some other variant of quartz
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags: