Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Mountain Laurel symbolism?  (Read 7714 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Mountain Laurel symbolism?
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:31:16 pm »
Does anyone have any spiritual info or experience about mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)? I've found plenty on regular bay Laurel (the kind wreaths were made from) but not much on mountain Laurel specifically.

Fiancé had mentioned something the other night: getting a tattoo of it because it's the CT State flower and since I'm always complaining about missing home, I can always have a piece of home with me. It's a cute idea, and I've seen some nice designs, but I have to look at the spiritual/metaphysical aspect of it as well. I did like 3 years of research about peacock symbolism before I got my feather tat, because I like knowing what's going to be permanently inked on my body.

So, what do we know about it?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

CoyoteFeathers

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Heathen-ish and PIE Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Mountain Laurel symbolism?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:35:01 pm »
Does anyone have any spiritual info or experience about mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)? I've found plenty on regular bay Laurel (the kind wreaths were made from) but not much on mountain Laurel specifically.

Fiancé had mentioned something the other night: getting a tattoo of it because it's the CT State flower and since I'm always complaining about missing home, I can always have a piece of home with me. It's a cute idea, and I've seen some nice designs, but I have to look at the spiritual/metaphysical aspect of it as well. I did like 3 years of research about peacock symbolism before I got my feather tat, because I like knowing what's going to be permanently inked on my body.

So, what do we know about it?

Ew, what's up here that anyone would ever miss that badly? (Sorry, being in New London county makes people kind of... jaded. Only interesting thing around here is the tourist trap that is Mystic- and everything there is $$$$).

To be honest, I didn't know that Mountain Laurel was our state flower! That's kind of cool, since they really are quite pretty. Here's what I've found on it so far:

"Laurel flowers are thought to represent ambition, as well as success and renown. As a gift, these blossoms are most commonly given to those heading into new phases of their life – starting a new job, going to school, even getting married or having children. They are meant to represent a wish for the recipient to have all of the success in the world, or to continue to push on with their lofty ambitions, despite any roadblocks they may come across." (from here)

"Laurel flowers, specifically the mountain laurel, are associated with ambition and perseverance." (from ehow, which I would take with a pile of salt)

You're right, there doesn't seem to be much information on the Northeastern variety of mountain laurel alone. Mostly it's grouped with all other laurel varieties, or I'm getting a lot on Texas Mountain Laurel, which is a bit different. Perhaps you could draw up your own meanings for it from what it is to you, or from the history of it? Native Americans seem to have used it frequently as a medicinal herb from what I'm seeing, so something like that could inform your personal symbolism.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:15 am »
Ew, what's up here that anyone would ever miss that badly? (Sorry, being in New London county makes people kind of... jaded. Only interesting thing around here is the tourist trap that is Mystic- and everything there is $$$$).

To be honest, I didn't know that Mountain Laurel was our state flower! That's kind of cool, since they really are quite pretty. Here's what I've found on it so far:

"Laurel flowers are thought to represent ambition, as well as success and renown. As a gift, these blossoms are most commonly given to those heading into new phases of their life – starting a new job, going to school, even getting married or having children. They are meant to represent a wish for the recipient to have all of the success in the world, or to continue to push on with their lofty ambitions, despite any roadblocks they may come across." (from here)

"Laurel flowers, specifically the mountain laurel, are associated with ambition and perseverance." (from ehow, which I would take with a pile of salt)

You're right, there doesn't seem to be much information on the Northeastern variety of mountain laurel alone. Mostly it's grouped with all other laurel varieties, or I'm getting a lot on Texas Mountain Laurel, which is a bit different. Perhaps you could draw up your own meanings for it from what it is to you, or from the history of it? Native Americans seem to have used it frequently as a medicinal herb from what I'm seeing, so something like that could inform your personal symbolism.

I didn't know you're in CT! And it's not necessarily the state itself, it's that all my friends and family are there, minimum wage is almost 3 dollars higher (NC is only $7.25), and seriously, I just miss freaking Dunkin Donuts. Goldsboro, where I am in NC (seriously if anyone is here come find me, I'm going out of my mind and need a fellow pagan), doesn't even have a Dunkin yet (they're building one now. I'm ecstatic). The closest one is roughly a half hour away, and even getting "into town" is 15-20 minutes.

And Roomie, who's air Force and the reason I'm not homeless because gods know I can't afford rent, thinks it's all fine and dandy because he makes the same amount no matter where he lives. I don't think he's ever worked a minimum wage job in his life, let alone had to have 2 just to scrape by. I mean, I love my full time pet store job, but delivering pizzas on the weekend is how I can actually put gas in my tank when almost my entire paycheck goes to one car payment.

Sorry, this kinda turned into a rant against Goldsboro. From what I've seen of NC the rest of the state isn't bad, it just sucks here. Seriously I passed 4 separate accidents on my way to work yesterday because it was raining. Imagine how they react when there's a quarter inch of snow (for comparison, Fiancé and I were out driving and having fun in the Jeep in that 3 foot blizzard we had back in 2013).

Sorry. But anyways thank you for the info! It actually does really help.

ETA: forgot a word, and forgot to mention that 15-20 minutes away from where I grew up is Frank Pepe's Pizza, the best thing crust pizza on this planet. If you've never been, go try it next time you're in New Haven. Also, even though I never really liked the city, I kinda miss the ease of saying let's go to NYC for the day. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:49:09 am by missgraceless »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

CoyoteFeathers

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Heathen-ish and PIE Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:52 pm »
I didn't know you're in CT! And it's not necessarily the state itself, it's that all my friends and family are there, minimum wage is almost 3 dollars higher (NC is only $7.25), and seriously, I just miss freaking Dunkin Donuts. Goldsboro, where I am in NC (seriously if anyone is here come find me, I'm going out of my mind and need a fellow pagan), doesn't even have a Dunkin yet (they're building one now. I'm ecstatic). The closest one is roughly a half hour away, and even getting "into town" is 15-20 minutes.

Yeah, I'm in the Southeast though! $10.10 minimum is nice, but barely helps with the rent around here being so high (and way not worth it for the quality of apartments in my area- pretty trashy compared to Western CT). I rarely if ever have a reason to go over to New Haven except to switch trains when going into the city, but if I'm ever in the area I'll try to remember that pizza place.

You're welcome for the info! If I come across anything else I'll try to post it here.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:15 pm »
Does anyone have any spiritual info or experience about mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia)?

Perhaps only tangentially helpful, but here's some info about the plant itself. Maybe you can find some symbolic cues in its ecological role?

https://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/mountain_laurel
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:29 pm »
Perhaps only tangentially helpful, but here's some info about the plant itself. Maybe you can find some symbolic cues in its ecological role?

https://www.bbg.org/gardening/article/mountain_laurel
Actually that helped quite a bit, thank you! Everything I read I tried to look at it symbolically rather than literally, like the "shade-tolerant" meaning mental/emotional darkness. Reading into shit that's not necessarily there? Probably. But some of it resonates with me.

So thank you. And the more I read about it the more I want the tattoo, now it's just a matter of A, finding an artist and B, settling on a design and location. Fiancé thinks I should get it on my ribs, but just thinking about that is painful.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:31:26 pm »
Fiancé thinks I should get it on my ribs, but just thinking about that is painful.

I just got my breastbone inked and I can confirm that yes, yes it is. ;)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:20:26 pm »
I just got my breastbone inked and I can confirm that yes, yes it is. ;)
Oh God. I'm sorry. I'm sure it's a beautiful tattoo, but ouch.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 07:24:47 pm »
Oh God. I'm sorry. I'm sure it's a beautiful tattoo, but ouch.

Totally worth it!  I need to get some decent photos.  And maybe show it off in a thread.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 219
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal