Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Making incense  (Read 3022 times)

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Making incense
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »
I know this was talked about on the old forum, but I can't find it here.  I have a book that's talks about using saltpeter to make cones or sticks burn.  Does anyone know a good place to buy it? Or a good substitute for it?  Want to try my hand at making my own.  Especially after going to my grove's indoor Yule ritual and barely being able to breath because of the incense.  Thinking I could make incense and donate it to the grove. ;)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Making incense
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:37:10 am »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;36988
I know this was talked about on the old forum, but I can't find it here.  I have a book that's talks about using saltpeter to make cones or sticks burn.  Does anyone know a good place to buy it? Or a good substitute for it?  Want to try my hand at making my own.  Especially after going to my grove's indoor Yule ritual and barely being able to breath because of the incense.  Thinking I could make incense and donate it to the grove. ;)

I thought Arabic gum and charcoal were used? not sure about saltpeter
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:10:38 am »
Quote from: spoOk;37007
I thought Arabic gum and charcoal were used? not sure about saltpeter

Saltpeter's a staple of many recipes (especially for cones).  Wylundt's Book of Incense and Cunningham's incense book include it pretty extensively, f'ex.

Brina

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:33 am »

Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) available in various quantities online.  A quick Googling brought up lots and lots. But I must ask, what about the incense at your grove's ritual made it hard for you to breathe?  And why do you think saltpeter will remedy that?

Brina

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;37030
But I must ask, what about the incense at your grove's ritual made it hard for you to breathe?  And why do you think saltpeter will remedy that?

I saw that when I googled.  I was hoping someone had a good source to buy from instead of picking and hoping it was a good site.

I don't know what about it made it hard to breathe, but it's not the first time incense has done that.  Since I don't have that problem when we are outside, it has to be the incense.  The recipes I have say the saltpeter is so the cones or sticks will burn.  Do you know of something else that would work in it's place?  It has to be in a stick form since that is what is used to cleanse people coming into the nematon and as offerings.  If it was loose incense then I wouldn't worry, I'd just use charcoal, but I want to make sticks and cones.  Plus, while the place we have the indoor rituals will let us use incense, I'm not sure how they would feel about charcoal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:33:56 pm by Dragonfly68 »

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:26:53 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;37049
I saw that when I googled.  I was hoping someone had a good source to buy from instead of picking and hoping it was a good site.

I don't know what about it made it hard to breathe, but it's not the first time incense has done that.  Since I don't have that problem when we are outside, it has to be the incense.  The recipes I have say the saltpeter is so the cones or sticks will burn.  Do you know of something else that would work in it's place?  It has to be in a stick form since that is what is used to cleanse people coming into the nematon and as offerings.  If it was loose incense then I wouldn't worry, I'd just use charcoal, but I want to make sticks and cones.  Plus, while the place we have the indoor rituals will let us use incense, I'm not sure how they would feel about charcoal.

Do you have the same problem using incense at home?
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;37063
Do you have the same problem using incense at home?

Yeah, that's why I either don't burn them or burn them in short spurts.  What I normally do is burn the herb mixture on charcoal or simmer essential oils.  I remember someone saying they made theirs and didn't have problems breathing like they did with the commercial ones.  I don't have problems with scented candles either, just the incense.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;37072
Yeah, that's why I either don't burn them or burn them in short spurts.  What I normally do is burn the herb mixture on charcoal or simmer essential oils.  I remember someone saying they made theirs and didn't have problems breathing like they did with the commercial ones.  I don't have problems with scented candles either, just the incense.

I asked cause sometimes it can be things like airflow and such in certain places can make things affect a person in different ways.

I was having an issue with incense giving my wife really bad head aches. I started buying this stuff at the dollar store of all places - 10 sticks for a buck - and this stuff has not bothered her at all. Next time I am down town I will look for a brand name of it and pass it on. It might be the stuff for you.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:46:40 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;37121
I asked cause sometimes it can be things like airflow and such in certain places can make things affect a person in different ways.

I was having an issue with incense giving my wife really bad head aches. I started buying this stuff at the dollar store of all places - 10 sticks for a buck - and this stuff has not bothered her at all. Next time I am down town I will look for a brand name of it and pass it on. It might be the stuff for you.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:22 am »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;37168

what herbs etc are you using?
because I was thinking perhaps a smudge stick format might work for you guys instead of cones etc.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 09:26:48 am »
Quote from: spoOk;37188
what herbs etc are you using?
because I was thinking perhaps a smudge stick format might work for you guys instead of cones etc.

I've used a variety of herbs, making sure they are safe to burn inside.  I have smudged my house with sage many times.  I hadn't thought of suggesting smudge sticks, I think mainly cause they use the incense for offerings, not just purifying.  Never thought of them for offerings. hmm.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:28:45 am »

You can use Makko, a Japanese self igniting incense, with the herb and distilled water to make incense as well. It does little to effect the smell and burns pretty clean. I like it.

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »
Quote from: Ula;37204
You can use Makko, a Japanese self igniting incense, with the herb and distilled water to make incense as well. It does little to effect the smell and burns pretty clean. I like it.

thank you, I will look into that. :)

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »
Quote from: Ula;37204

:D That's PERFECT!! Thanks. *Doing happy dance*

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;37294
:D That's PERFECT!! Thanks. *Doing happy dance*

Your welcome.

Tags: