collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 21 October 2020: $558 donated. Only $152 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by Sefiru
[October 19, 2020, 07:12:35 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 19, 2020, 12:06:02 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by PerditaPickle
[October 19, 2020, 07:15:27 am]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by ehbowen
[October 18, 2020, 09:50:51 pm]

Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[October 18, 2020, 03:14:20 pm]

Author Topic: Lesser Magic & Its Uses ...  (Read 3558 times)

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Lesser Magic & Its Uses ...
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:36 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;188951
That's not an argument.

That's a command.

(And as commands go, "Go forth and be a shitty person about the basic humanity of others!" is not one that I think is worth making, even if I were the sort of person who thought I was entitled to hand out directives.)

Oh, that was said tongue-in-cheek! You were supposed to laugh!

My real meaning is quite simple - appreciate yourself - don't try to be someone else.
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:05 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;188958
Why would arguments have to be vulgar? I think maybe we're defining the word slightly differently - you can have a friendly argument. But whatever, it doesn't really matter.

Correct. However, I do believe intent is very important, and as such even mundane ways of manipulating one's image is an important tool that can be used to further one's goals.

Well, we might mean the same thing but have put it under different labels, and it's the labels that we are arguing over.
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;188971
My real meaning is quite simple - appreciate yourself - don't try to be someone else.

Unless, of course, you are beautiful, in which case you shouldn't appreciate yourself too much. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:41 pm »
Quote from: Jack;188973
Unless, of course, you are beautiful, in which case you shouldn't appreciate yourself too much. ;)

Trouble is - beautiful people often don't appreciate being beautiful! I know it's hard to imagine, but I've known several, and they didn't like the attention - felt under-appreciated for what they considered were their good qualities. I knew a male model who absolutely hated his good looks and his "career" because no one took him seriously. "Why not do something else?" I asked. "I have a contract" he replied. "I'm stuck for another 3 years". He was always on a diet, couldn't eat this, couldn't eat that, had to go to bed early, had to be up early, was talked to as though he were an idiot - was expected to be pawed whenever someone wanted to paw him - was not expected to have a personality."Well, I have a tire iron. I could take care of your good looks", I offered - it was the first good laugh he'd had in a good, long while ...
OMNIA DEPENDET!

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;188608
I consider Lesser Magic by far the more important of the two kinds. There are several reasons for this, the most important of which is the simple fact that LM deals w/those things that affect our lives constantly - LM is the air in our lives versus the tidal waves of Greater Magic - we are even more likely to be killed if our air is cut off than if we are hit by a tidal wave!

Of all the things that one might do w/LM, I believe that the most essential is express one's Self. If there is any purpose whatever to life - & there may or may not be - then I am convinced that that purpose for the individual is to be him/herself first, last, & foremost. To be one's Self is to express one's Self - to create an instantly recognizable image of one's Self for all the World to see.

Now, this rubs up against many a culture - many a society would have the individual erase him/herself as much as possible, so as to live as unobtrusive a life as possible. I deem all such societies oppressive & in need of change: I am not tolerant of such societies ...

Luckily, I live in the United States, where it is at least legal to be odd, if being odd is still somewhat socially costly.

Now - LM - in my opinion - too many try to use it in a wrong-headed way. LM is not usually for getting what you want, no. It is usually for learning to like what you have. What you have is yours. What you want might not be, especially if you did not earn it.

Wanting a million dollars that you did not sweat for is a bad idea & will likely bring you a million dollars worth of trouble. Wanting a lover whose sole recommendation is cuteness will likely bring you nothing but an acute headache. LM should not be used to cut corners!

Nor should it be used to make you look like someone else! There is nothing wrong w/baldness - or wrinkles - or small breasts - or any other feature that people spend money on trying to "fix". A face that has been lifted always looks lifted - and awful. LM should be used to make you YOU.

Learning how to dress a fat body in the right sizes & proper cuts & flattering colors will go a lot further in making a fat person look good than yo-yo dieting and trying to squeeze into the latest fashions. Being well-groomed and well-dressed will mitigate the fatness. An elegant outfit that hasn't got this season's clock ticking on it will always go a long way.

Fat people should always avoid gaudy, clingy, tight, loose, over-sized, pastels, bright, & flashy. Dress up is always better than dress down for the fat person. As a fat person, I know this stuff. And smell nice, always. And move gracefully. Learn to walk like a king or a queen. And, for god's sake - eat in public every chance you get - people know that you eat, so eat! And enjoy the damned food! BE HONEST. I'm not "large" - I'm not "overweight" - I'm not "big" - I'm FAT!

Use LM to tell the TRUTH - do not use it to tell lies!

"I support capitalism b/c it's the only thing that seems to work" - this I overheard while eating lunch. I very nearly choked on my sandwich. "It seems to work, yes, but, then, so would anything in a system that is rigged in its favor".

Capitalism does not work - unless you are among the very few at the top who are immensely, grossly rich, who can afford to ply the back streams of corruption upon which the capitalist system depends: fixing elections, buying off officials, twisting laws, making sure that the courts rule in your favor, making certain that workers are paid far less than they deserve, making certain that the news is really just entertainment, destroying the education system, keeping the poor poor by keeping them ignorant, pregnant, inarticulate, and frightened - oh, it works very well!

In a society where it's "every man for himself", LM can be a tool for saving one's life - and for prospering. I'd like to hear from you to learn from you, so that we can all learn and better our lives. There are ways to dress ourselves, present ourselves, sell ourselves; there are other ways to arm ourselves for the struggle. There is formal education, yes. But being formally education to a great extent, I do not put much store in that. Informal education is far more important. By informal education, I mean life experience, yes, but also what one learns about life - or even subjects such as mathematics - that is not going to be taught in any school. Let me hear from you. Please.
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Tags: