collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 29 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Crazy thought by Anon100
[Today at 07:01:24 pm]


Re: Crazy thought by Anon100
[Today at 06:05:32 pm]


Re: Tigereye by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:56:54 am]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 06:16:03 am]


Re: Recently Blogged by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 06:21:02 pm]

Author Topic: Blue Moon  (Read 2080 times)

Aqua

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 51
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Blue Moon
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »
So, on August 31st this year it will be a blue moon. Do you know any particular rituals for blue moon?
Be careful what you wish on the blue moon or do that day because the next one is in 2015.
~Aqua

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10263
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 277
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:40 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42605
Be careful what you wish on the blue moon or do that day because the next one is in 2015.

On average, I think a blue moon occurs once every two-three years. There should be be 7 of them in every 19 year cycle (of lunar months and solar years) if memory serves me correctly.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aqua

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 51
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:24:25 am »
Quote from: RandallS;42626
On average, I think a blue moon occurs once every two-three years. There should be be 7 of them in every 19 year cycle (of lunar months and solar years) if memory serves me correctly.

 
Yes, but there is some time to wait from an blue moon to another..
~Aqua

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42605
So, on August 31st this year it will be a blue moon. Do you know any particular rituals for blue moon?
Be careful what you wish on the blue moon or do that day because the next one is in 2015.

 
Forgive my ignorance, but could you please tell me the significance of a blue moon, and why you have to be careful for what you wish for on the blue moon?
Sorry for replying to a question with a question, but if I don't ask, I'll never get to sleep tonight.

Aqua

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 51
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:57:26 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43067
Forgive my ignorance, but could you please tell me the significance of a blue moon, and why you have to be careful for what you wish for on the blue moon?
Sorry for replying to a question with a question, but if I don't ask, I'll never get to sleep tonight.

 
Blue Moon
~Aqua

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;43069
Blue Moon

 
Thanks for the link.  I understand now, this is a pagan belief.  Again, thanks.

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43074
Thanks for the link.  I understand now, this is a pagan belief.


Not necessarily.  The site Aqua linked to doesn't seem to contain any verified pagan history.  The beliefs it describes aren't particularly typical of neopagans either, in my experience.  This site has much better information on the "meaning" of blue moons.

Brina

Catherine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 990
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43074
Thanks for the link.  I understand now, this is a pagan belief.  Again, thanks.


Um... that whole blue moon= Crone/Grandmother Goddess thing is not a belief held by all pagans. Personally, I don't attach any more significance to a "blue moon" than any other full moon. Sometimes, you get more than one full moon in a (solar) calender month. If you track the months by lunar phases, this doesn't happen because...science!

*shrugs* It's not a big deal to me. I certainly don't attach any kind of extra-super-special-mystical properties to it.

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:27 am »
Quote from: yewberry;43086
Not necessarily.  The site Aqua linked to doesn't seem to contain any verified pagan history.  The beliefs it describes aren't particularly typical of neopagans either, in my experience.  This site has much better information on the "meaning" of blue moons.

Brina

 
Thanks for the links.  I'm chuckling at my own naivety.

stitchinwith

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 126
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:09 am »
Quote from: Catherine;43090
Um... that whole blue moon= Crone/Grandmother Goddess thing is not a belief held by all pagans. Personally, I don't attach any more significance to a "blue moon" than any other full moon. Sometimes, you get more than one full moon in a (solar) calender month. If you track the months by lunar phases, this doesn't happen because...science!

*shrugs* It's not a big deal to me. I certainly don't attach any kind of extra-super-special-mystical properties to it.

 
I hadn't come across any reference to it before in the books on witchcraft I've been reading, and thought I'd missed something.  I've still got lots to learn, but I can put blue moons to the back of my mind now.  Thanks.

Darkhawk

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 5004
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 902
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
Re: Blue Moon
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;43090
If you track the months by lunar phases, this doesn't happen because...science!

 
Hah.

This was much cleverer than what I was going to say.  (Which was going to be pedantic and tendentious, of course.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
3982 Views
Last post October 27, 2011, 02:21:05 pm
by Tamina
14 Replies
4753 Views
Last post December 25, 2011, 05:50:16 pm
by dragonfaerie
40 Replies
4334 Views
Last post September 02, 2012, 09:12:53 am
by Abgeneth
28 Replies
3720 Views
Last post August 07, 2015, 10:52:42 am
by rinceoir
6 Replies
969 Views
Last post September 07, 2015, 10:09:33 pm
by Emma Eldritch

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal