collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 27 October 2020: $610 donated. Only $100 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: The Most Important Election of Our Lives II: Electric Boogaloo by SunflowerP
[Today at 12:14:30 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 05:09:21 am]


Re: Wannabe dictator struck with plague he casually dismissed by AineLlewellyn
[Yesterday at 10:51:52 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 08:25:01 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 08:13:19 pm]

Author Topic: has anyone ever had their magic bound?  (Read 2871 times)

Olie

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 157
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« on: May 01, 2015, 01:57:04 am »
sooo i mighta accidentally joined a coven. i met a new friend who turns out is a coven leader and i got really excited about it. he said i could join and i was all up for it til he started talkin about some of the beliefs and rules of the coven. theres a bunch im pretty iffy with since im a pretty gray witch and the coven seems snow white. but the main thing that i didnt like is that they said it was their responsibility to bind witches they thought were dangerous. i was kinda like "mmhmm sure ok. tell it to the charmed ones."

i never really thought of magic as somethin that could be taken away so it didnt bother me at first. but i dont actually know anythin about it. has anyone here ever bound someones magic? or had their own bound? and is there a way to unbind or protect yurself from being bound?

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10251
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 273
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:50:15 am »
Quote from: Olie;174481
but the main thing that i didnt like is that they said it was their responsibility to bind witches they thought were dangerous. i was kinda like "mmhmm sure ok. tell it to the charmed ones."

Right. I'd probably have laughed and rolled my eyes. Trying to bind magic they way they sound like they are talking about would be like trying to stop the wind.  It might be possible to bind someone to not use magic -- just like you might be able to bind them to not drink coffee -- but that is something much different from binding magic.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Faemon

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1229
  • Total likes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:33:45 am »
Quote from: Olie;174481
has anyone here ever bound someones magic? or had their own bound? and is there a way to unbind or protect yurself from being bound?

I was able to initiate out of body experiences, made the giant mistake of telling my sister, who told her Wiccan friend, who did the thing and they both told me that they did the thing. In hindsight, it should have seriously skeeved me out that I did not request either of them to do the thing, but at that moment I was just glad that something had distracted my sister from using my deviant sexual orientation as some sort of liberal street cred and outing me to everybody like my life was some trendy accessory. So, at least she got that way about something like the paranormal, which I wasn't so precious and sensitive about. But she does get that way fairly often.

Back on topic, out-of-body experiences were already a challenging sort of meditation for me to undertake, so I thought, well, if I could initiate an out-of-body experience even with a binding, then I would be able to do so under any conditions once the binding was removed or wore off or something. It was just like adding barbells to lift weights with. So, I kept trying. I've never been able to do it as easily and regularly as I used to, but it did happen two or three times since then.

My sister's Wiccan friend had mentioned something about using our genetic information for the sympathetic magic portion, and then using my belief in his power, which I had a lot of because he always spoke so authoritatively even though so much of his craft was supposed to be secret and he kept it so.

Eventually I just got my own ideas about how it all works, and I can only guess that changed the wavelength so I'm not quite so much under any thrall they can construct for me, although they might not have bothered.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:34:09 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Olie

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2013
  • Posts: 157
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 03:09:56 am »
Quote from: RandallS;174484
Right. I'd probably have laughed and rolled my eyes. Trying to bind magic they way they sound like they are talking about would be like trying to stop the wind.  It might be possible to bind someone to not use magic -- just like you might be able to bind them to not drink coffee -- but that is something much different from binding magic.

haha ok well i guess i was right then and i wont worry about anythin C: either way i got so many protection spells going on anyway im like a freakin fortress. thanks!

Quote from: Faemon;174486

I was able to initiate out of body experiences, made the giant mistake of telling my sister, who told her Wiccan friend, who did the thing and they both told me that they did the thing. In hindsight, it should have seriously skeeved me out that I did not request either of them to do the thing, but at that moment I was just glad that something had distracted my sister from using my deviant sexual orientation as some sort of liberal street cred and outing me to everybody like my life was some trendy accessory. So, at least she got that way about something like the paranormal, which I wasn't so precious and sensitive about. But she does get that way fairly often.

Back on topic, out-of-body experiences were already a challenging sort of meditation for me to undertake, so I thought, well, if I could initiate an out-of-body experience even with a binding, then I would be able to do so under any conditions once the binding was removed or wore off or something. It was just like adding barbells to lift weights with. So, I kept trying. I've never been able to do it as easily and regularly as I used to, but it did happen two or three times since then.

My sister's Wiccan friend had mentioned something about using our genetic information for the sympathetic magic portion, and then using my belief in his power, which I had a lot of because he always spoke so authoritatively even though so much of his craft was supposed to be secret and he kept it so.

Eventually I just got my own ideas about how it all works, and I can only guess that changed the wavelength so I'm not quite so much under any thrall they can construct for me, although they might not have bothered.

so you did get your magic bound then? and it worked? are you out of it now or still a little tied up? sounds like it coulda been some kinda psychology dealio. like how you believing in their power made it work
why did they bind you in the first place tho? they sound like wads geez.

Faemon

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: May 2012
  • Posts: 1229
  • Total likes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:03:19 am »
Quote from: Olie;174501
so you did get your magic bound then? and it worked? are you out of it now or still a little tied up? sounds like it coulda been some kinda psychology dealio. like how you believing in their power made it work


Yes to all questions (the binding wore off, the effects of the binding lasted--if that makes any sense), and I agree with that last bit. That's why it's part of my paradigm of magic now to meta: What are the components of belief? What buffers and supports it, what provides a keystone so that it's not mere contrivance of the mind but a deeply-rooted belief? That's what I investigate now.

Quote
why did they bind you in the first place tho? they sound like wads geez.

 
It was ostensibly for my own good, but in hindsight and my opinion now is that they were colossal wads. :p

While the effects of people's actions can be downright dastardly, by my unfortunate experience the creepiest thing is that the intentions are always good.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8791
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 355
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:45:07 pm »
Quote from: Olie;174501
sounds like it coulda been some kinda psychology dealio. like how you believing in their power made it work
why did they bind you in the first place tho? they sound like wads geez.


This bit sounds to me like it'd probably also apply to your own experience, Olie - all psychological manipulation, little or no actual binding.
 
Quote from: Faemon;174506
While the effects of people's actions can be downright dastardly, by my unfortunate experience the creepiest thing is that the intentions are always good.

 
I'm thinking this bit also applies to the people you encountered, Olie. I'm sure that they feel ever so virtuous, going about being the ones who decide who's 'dangerous', and acting to address that - but to me that looks creepy and arrogant, and likely to have very dastardly effects.

Though I doubt the dastardly effects would include much actual and effective binding, as Randall notes - mainly, they'd be harmful because of the psychological manipulation.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10251
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 273
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:51:49 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;174524
Though I doubt the dastardly effects would include much actual and effective binding, as Randall notes - mainly, they'd be harmful because of the psychological manipulation.

I tend to forget about this type of stuff as psychological manipulation because I'm too busy rolling my eyes and thinking their claim is silly to be affected by it as psychological manipulation. Someone once put the "Chain Curse of Death" on me and my reaction to them telling me this was to roll my eyes and think he was an idiot. The Chain Curse of Death is from medieval grimoires. It's misnamed as it is used to threaten uncooperative demons not to kill people. While it probably was intended as psychological manipulation the only thing it did was manipulate me into thinking the guy was as stupid as he sounded.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ailyah

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: May 2015
  • Posts: 11
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • https://circleoftheoldreligion.org/
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174538
I tend to forget about this type of stuff as psychological manipulation because I'm too busy rolling my eyes and thinking their claim is silly to be affected by it as psychological manipulation. Someone once put the "Chain Curse of Death" on me and my reaction to them telling me this was to roll my eyes and think he was an idiot. The Chain Curse of Death is from medieval grimoires. It's misnamed as it is used to threaten uncooperative demons not to kill people. While it probably was intended as psychological manipulation the only thing it did was manipulate me into thinking the guy was as stupid as he sounded.

 
I have to agree, it seems like a form of psychological manipulation most likely affecting the subconscious mind. If you're really worried about it, seek a friend of the craft out, and have them perform a smudging ritual, and curse breaker. But in all honesty, if you can still manipulate your energy, you can still use magic.
High Priestess of the coven Circle of the Old Religion

~Blessed Be~

Freesia

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 231
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 06:24:03 am »
Quote from: Olie;174481
sooo i mighta accidentally joined a coven. i met a new friend who turns out is a coven leader and i got really excited about it. he said i could join and i was all up for it til he started talkin about some of the beliefs and rules of the coven. theres a bunch im pretty iffy with since im a pretty gray witch and the coven seems snow white. but the main thing that i didnt like is that they said it was their responsibility to bind witches they thought were dangerous. i was kinda like "mmhmm sure ok. tell it to the charmed ones."

i never really thought of magic as somethin that could be taken away so it didnt bother me at first. but i dont actually know anythin about it. has anyone here ever bound someones magic? or had their own bound? and is there a way to unbind or protect yurself from being bound?

 
How do you accidentally join a coven in the first place?

I once did energy work on someone without consent and ended up in a weird link and felt her emotions for days. It was horrible. I've never done anything like that since. I was very young and stupid.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10251
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 273
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 07:52:32 am »
Quote from: Freesia;175105
How do you accidentally join a coven in the first place?

I've seen people so desperate to have a coven and be a high priest or high priestess that merely asking them about their group had them making you a member on the spot.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Freesia

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2014
  • Posts: 231
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:34:26 am »
Quote from: RandallS;175109
I've seen people so desperate to have a coven and be a high priest or high priestess that merely asking them about their group had them making you a member on the spot.

 
Wow! People like that really need to self analyze. Especially if they start making threats against anyone who might disagree with them.

Caleb Oak

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2014
  • Posts: 978
  • Country: nl
  • Total likes: 13
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
Re: has anyone ever had their magic bound?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 09:25:35 am »
Quote from: Olie;174481
sooo i mighta accidentally joined a coven. i met a new friend who turns out is a coven leader and i got really excited about it. he said i could join and i was all up for it til he started talkin about some of the beliefs and rules of the coven. theres a bunch im pretty iffy with since im a pretty gray witch and the coven seems snow white. but the main thing that i didnt like is that they said it was their responsibility to bind witches they thought were dangerous. i was kinda like "mmhmm sure ok. tell it to the charmed ones."

i never really thought of magic as somethin that could be taken away so it didnt bother me at first. but i dont actually know anythin about it. has anyone here ever bound someones magic? or had their own bound? and is there a way to unbind or protect yurself from being bound?

 
They tried but i do not think it worked.
I dont even know if it CAn work.

Probably only in charmed.....

I will ask my BFF Barbas. :dwink:

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
28 Replies
4251 Views
Last post July 11, 2012, 05:28:13 pm
by Ask-Embla
11 Replies
2551 Views
Last post September 09, 2012, 09:08:48 pm
by WhiteWolf
5 Replies
1342 Views
Last post September 15, 2013, 11:33:28 am
by Jack
9 Replies
1367 Views
Last post February 17, 2016, 01:31:40 pm
by Jenett
4 Replies
1351 Views
Last post October 11, 2018, 04:43:28 am
by arete

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 53
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal