collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Grey witchcraft?  (Read 2015 times)

moonlightsonata

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Born in the Battle
  • Religion: Wiccan
Grey witchcraft?
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:57:03 am »
What is grey witchcraft?  I haven't been able to find anything all that clear in the little bit of looking I've done.  As near as I can tell they are witches that think the use of negative magick is necessary...is that correct?   Is it religious, or is it more of a practice?
"The life of a Witch is one filled with the awe of the worlds- Seen and Unseen; it is for the curious mind, the seeker of arcane knowledge, and for those who live on the boundaries of the Shadow-Lands" ~Vivanne Moss, "Hekate: A Devotional"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Grey witchcraft?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:15:10 am »
What is grey witchcraft?  I haven't been able to find anything all that clear in the little bit of looking I've done.  As near as I can tell they are witches that think the use of negative magick is necessary...is that correct?   Is it religious, or is it more of a practice?

AFAIK, it's just a term some witches use to describe their position on the 'black magic/white magic' spectrum that's so much a part of popular conceptions of magic and witchcraft, mainly as a response to people who aren't pagan asking, 'so are you a black witch or a white witch?' or some equivalent - I've used it that way myself. Some of those who use it might - especially if they themselves think in terms of those popular conceptions - feel it has a relevance to their practices that's deeper than just 'what I tell people who ask that question.'

It doesn't refer to any specific tradition, which is why you're not finding much clear and specific info; exactly what it means will depend on what the witch who describes themselves that way consider it to mean. It's used, IME, by both religious witches and those who practice witchcraft purely as a craft.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:29:48 am »
AFAIK, it's just a term some witches use to describe their position on the 'black magic/white magic' spectrum that's so much a part of popular conceptions of magic and witchcraft, mainly as a response to people who aren't pagan asking, 'so are you a black witch or a white witch?' or some equivalent - I've used it that way myself.

This is how I use the term as well:  to describe someone who may not completely subscribe to the idea that magic should never be used for darker purposes, but who also doesn't tend to go around deliberately seeking to use magic to harm or control for trivial reasons.

I have used it to refer to myself because I view magic like I view other things in my life:  the circumstances influence how I respond.  My first response is rarely to go on the offensive, but if you back me into a corner and give me no option, I won't let someone hurt me because I'm not willing to fight back. 

I also sometimes feel like it includes my affinity with shadows and the 'grey' areas of life.  I am definitely not someone who thinks that everything can be accomplished by standing fully in the light and thinking happy thoughts all the time.  While that may work for some people, it doesn't suit me.  I am quite happy roaming about the darker places, bringing my own light.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:26:17 am »

Personally I think it goes more towards the overall balance of black/white magic.  Like the others have said, I would use it to describe my own positioning in the spectrum.  I believe that magic is a tool, a means to an end.  If you attempt to use a hammer to polish a glass window you wouldn't say the hammer is "evil", but rather, just not the right tool for the job.  Moreover, it's more about how the magic is used (and inherently, there's certain magics that have a very limited number of uses).  I would consider myself in the gray blanket, as I believe that all magic should be studied at the very least from an academic stand point and do occasionally dabble in what most would consider darker magic.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Afanasfreya

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Witchcraft/spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »
Gray witchcraft only flirts with the idea of taking both good and bad aspects and balancing them. However, good and bad is subjective in the craft. Like people say you aren't supposed to bind others. But what if you binding them means a certain person can't curse someone else? Or what if your binding them keeps them from doing physical harm? The end in those scenarios are objective, you only cross a line to keep the balance going. Gray magick is all about balance because you can't have light without darkness, good without bad. I hope that makes sense to you.
"Live life to the fullest, because only surviving isn't living at all. "

Tags: