collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 16 Sept 2019: $660 donated. $10 more our minimum goal! Let's beat last year's total of $99 more than the minimum!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Glamour Magic  (Read 5413 times)

Audris

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thefourqueens.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome-and-updates_605.html
Glamour Magic
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »
It's a new interest of mine but I'm finding limited information. I'd like to hear from people who practice it about its uses and if there's anywhere online I can really sink my teeth into?

There seems to be one book on Amazon that's solely about glamour magic - here - but I don't know if the author is reliable/decent. Any thoughts?

Also, is much of what it says in this post reliable?

Thanks in advance for any help.
The Four Queens - Tarot, spirituality and personal development

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 78
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:33:18 pm »
Quote from: Audris;10831
It's a new interest of mine but I'm finding limited information. I'd like to hear from people who practice it about its uses and if there's anywhere online I can really sink my teeth into?

There seems to be one book on Amazon that's solely about glamour magic - here - but I don't know if the author is reliable/decent. Any thoughts?

Also, is much of what it says in this post reliable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

 
The post you linked seems to be describing an RPG, from what I can tell.  I don't know a lot of good sources on glamours, but I've done a couple, here and there.  Mostly I've done subtler workings--the sort to hide myself, or make myself seem more worth listening to, or to conceal something I was nervous of having found, rather than the showier stuff.  What are you looking to accomplish?
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

stephyjh

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1597
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »
Quote from: Audris;10831
It's a new interest of mine but I'm finding limited information. I'd like to hear from people who practice it about its uses and if there's anywhere online I can really sink my teeth into?

There seems to be one book on Amazon that's solely about glamour magic - here - but I don't know if the author is reliable/decent. Any thoughts?

Also, is much of what it says in this post reliable?

Thanks in advance for any help.


That second link is to a player's guide for a LARP--live action role-playing game. This is not generally a good source of information on real-world magic, as often creators pull ideas out of their nether regions for the purposes of the game that have nothing to do with the mechanics of magic in the real world.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Audris

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thefourqueens.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome-and-updates_605.html
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »
I suspected that link was some elaborate fiction of sorts since I couldn't find anything else to back it up but I clicked on it from google so had no clue what it was. Thanks for the clarification, guys.

Quote from: Valentine;10845
What are you looking to accomplish?

I'm not, really. I haven't done any spell work in absolutely years, the glamour thing has just become an interest lately. It seems from what little I can find out that it's one of the oldest kinds of spell. On the surface it seems pretty straight forward and even a little frivolous - more like magician work than serious magic. But the more I think about it the more I can see that it could be used for the kind of things you've described - altering the perception of others etc.
The Four Queens - Tarot, spirituality and personal development

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2746
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
Quote from: Audris;10848

I'm not, really. I haven't done any spell work in absolutely years, the glamour thing has just become an interest lately. It seems from what little I can find out that it's one of the oldest kinds of spell. On the surface it seems pretty straight forward and even a little frivolous - more like magician work than serious magic. But the more I think about it the more I can see that it could be used for the kind of things you've described - altering the perception of others etc.

 
I feel the need to point out that the "big stuff" (such as casting an illusion to make yourself look drastically different) is probably impossible in real life.  If my knowledge about folkloric glamour is correct, then this type of magic was typically performed by non-human entities (such as gods or the fair folk) so who knows if it is even possible for a human to do.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Audris

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 27
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://thefourqueens.blogspot.co.uk/p/welcome-and-updates_605.html
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;10851
I feel the need to point out that the "big stuff" (such as casting an illusion to make yourself look drastically different) is probably impossible in real life.  If my knowledge about folkloric glamour is correct, then this type of magic was typically performed by non-human entities (such as gods or the fair folk) so who knows if it is even possible for a human to do.

Sure, that's a totally valid point. I would never be looking to do anything like that anyway. I don't believe it's ever necessary and I definitely don't believe it's possible. I suppose I was looking at it in more of a self-improvement context or to smooth over relations between groups of people by attempting to make them more receptive towards each other or cohesive in a common goal..

I suppose perhaps I'm obsessing too much on the actual name, glamour. Of course if you wanted to do the kind of spell I've mentioned above of course you could just do it. I was just hoping that if I typed 'glamour magic' into various search functions I'd be spoilt for choice on what to read and, surprisingly, nada..
The Four Queens - Tarot, spirituality and personal development

SkySamuelle

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 717
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:24:09 pm »
Quote from: Audris;10853
Sure, that's a totally valid point. I would never be looking to do anything like that anyway. I don't believe it's ever necessary and I definitely don't believe it's possible. I suppose I was looking at it in more of a self-improvement context or to smooth over relations between groups of people by attempting to make them more receptive towards each other or cohesive in a common goal..

I suppose perhaps I'm obsessing too much on the actual name, glamour. Of course if you wanted to do the kind of spell I've mentioned above of course you could just do it. I was just hoping that if I typed 'glamour magic' into various search functions I'd be spoilt for choice on what to read and, surprisingly, nada..

 
I feel silly because it might seem i'm costantly reccing this book, but it's the only one I know that has a section on 'Active Shields' or Glamours. The author mostly suggests it can be used to appear more professional, self-assured, and for slight changes in one's appeareance. The tecnique is basically all about building consciously a shield that projects on the outside an image of you that you have conjured. The author even advises it might be easier if you carry with you a token that anchors you to the image you are trying to project - by exemple, it might be a necklace you carry in both reality and in your visualized image.

Here, the link to the book if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.it/Energy-Essentials-Witches-Spellcasters-Mya/dp/0738715506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315416216&sr=8-1
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

diana_rajchel

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 28
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:58 pm »
Quote from: Audris;10853
I suppose I was looking at it in more of a self-improvement context or to smooth over relations between groups of people by attempting to make them more receptive towards each other or cohesive in a common goal..

I suppose perhaps I'm obsessing too much on the actual name, glamour. Of course if you wanted to do the kind of spell I've mentioned above of course you could just do it. I was just hoping that if I typed 'glamour magic' into various search functions I'd be spoilt for choice on what to read and, surprisingly, nada..

Glamour as I understand it is really about altering perception. While we exaggerate it in imaginative ways (largely thanks to the Craft movie)  there is an entire business sector around what magicians call "glamour." It shows up in self-help, mostly. I don't think all self-help is bad, though some, like Pagan books, can be dreadful - or a delight.

If you want to change the way people perceive you, looking into the following subjects and perhaps accenting them with meditation, magical work or self-hypnosis may help:
Kinesics and body language
Interpersonal communication
Intercultural communication
Relationship dynamics - workplace, family, etc.

One magically related book that sort of falls in this arena is Starhawk's Dreaming the Dark. It is in no way intended to be about glamour magic, but it does talk about interpersonal relationships and perceptions in grassroots activism. Since perception is the root of glamour magic, I recommend it as a place to begin developing a thought process and approach.

ccardinot

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Banned!
  • Posts: 69
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;18436
I feel silly because it might seem i'm costantly reccing this book, but it's the only one I know that has a section on 'Active Shields' or Glamours. The author mostly suggests it can be used to appear more professional, self-assured, and for slight changes in one's appeareance. The tecnique is basically all about building consciously a shield that projects on the outside an image of you that you have conjured. The author even advises it might be easier if you carry with you a token that anchors you to the image you are trying to project - by exemple, it might be a necklace you carry in both reality and in your visualized image.

Here, the link to the book if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.it/Energy-Essentials-Witches-Spellcasters-Mya/dp/0738715506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315416216&sr=8-1

 
The Craft is all about change of perception. I've done such spellcasting before, and worked wonders. Even though I known I didn't lose a single pound or got any younger, pepople perceived me as looking prettier, restfull and slimmer. Not bad, eh?



Cheers!
.

Smokebender

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 93
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:07 am »
Quote from: Audris;10831
It's a new interest of mine but I'm finding limited information. I'd like to hear from people who practice it about its uses and if there's anywhere online I can really sink my teeth into?

There seems to be one book on Amazon that's solely about glamour magic - here - but I don't know if the author is reliable/decent. Any thoughts?

Also, is much of what it says in this post reliable?

Thanks in advance for any help.

 

If you haven't done so already you can read about the author here. You can also click on the authors name in your link for Amazon and see several pages more of his works that Amazon carries. I myself know nothing of Glamour magic so can't comment on it.
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

Mithril

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 56
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm »
Quote from: Smokebender;41708
If you haven't done so already you can read about the author here. You can also click on the authors name in your link for Amazon and see several pages more of his works that Amazon carries. I myself know nothing of Glamour magic so can't comment on it.


Does anybody know of any good online articles about it?

Owl

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 587
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;10851
I feel the need to point out that the "big stuff" (such as casting an illusion to make yourself look drastically different) is probably impossible in real life.  If my knowledge about folkloric glamour is correct, then this type of magic was typically performed by non-human entities (such as gods or the fair folk) so who knows if it is even possible for a human to do.


Glamour doesn't need to be big, it just needs to cause people to see you 'in a different light' so to speak.  

I know someone who use the happy positive energy of the renaissance faire to make himself appear to be interesting and mystical (he's a stage magician who fancies himself a true worker of magick).  He uses this to get laid - hopefully with a woman with a good job/income who will support him in the off season.  It is working less and less well as he gets older, but he can still bring it off for faire time at least.  This is a man who is what I consider absolutely sexless/androgynous and unattractive in general and no sex appeal.  I find him creepy in the extreme.  But I have seen it work on otherwise intelligent discerning women.

It may not be fairie glamour, but it works for him.  Unfortunately for him, he needs the major energy input to make it work.  He doesn't seem to be able to raise energy, only use that freely floating around large groups of happy people.  Which is good for the rest of the world, since he uses it to be a parasite.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Tana

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2295
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
Quote from: Owl;42314



Wow, sounds like a real darling. *shudders*
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Owl

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 587
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 24
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Glamour Magic
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 02:00:09 pm »
Quote from: Tana;42316
Wow, sounds like a real darling. *shudders*

 
Totally.  He kinda met his match though - she's truly crazy and won't let him go.  Those of us who watch him (and warn our daughters since he does like them young when he can get them) are enjoying it greatly.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
1504 Views
Last post February 06, 2012, 05:51:32 pm
by bluewave193
7 Replies
1393 Views
Last post May 11, 2012, 12:18:41 am
by spoOk
8 Replies
1147 Views
Last post July 31, 2012, 06:54:51 pm
by SunflowerP
24 Replies
2685 Views
Last post July 04, 2013, 06:48:43 pm
by RandallS
4 Replies
1078 Views
Last post July 21, 2019, 07:24:51 am
by Klaw

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall