collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Gemstones  (Read 1324 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Gemstones
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:55:44 am »
(Hopes this is the right place, if not feel free to move it)

I'm interested in learning about gemstones and crystals as well as their powers or energies (or whatever term is appropriate). I was in a store a few weeks ago and something told me that I needed to take a few gemstones home. Now they live in my pocket. I'm not sure but they give me a level of comfort. Actually I get the same hum of energy from them as I do from shuffling my Tarot cards. So I'm interested in learning more, especially about the different kinds of gemstones.

I have rose quartz, moonstone (orange, it looks weird) and red tiger eye right now. Plus a green one (not turquoise but looks like it). Any help or reading you can recommend is greatly appreciated!
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Blackswan

• View Profile
Gemstones
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:03:54 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;75981

I'm interested in learning about gemstones and crystals as well as their powers or energies (or whatever term is appropriate). I was in a store a few weeks ago and something told me that I needed to take a few gemstones home. Now they live in my pocket. I'm not sure but they give me a level of comfort. Actually I get the same hum of energy from them as I do from shuffling my Tarot cards. So I'm interested in learning more, especially about the different kinds of gemstones.

I have rose quartz, moonstone (orange, it looks weird) and red tiger eye right now. Plus a green one (not turquoise but looks like it). Any help or reading you can recommend is greatly appreciated!

Someone with more knowledge may come along but my wife uses The Crystal Bible 1 & 2 by Judy Hall. She likes them. Whilst I have about 20 crystals myself I just can't seem to connect to most of them.

DeletedUser

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Gemstones
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:26:36 am »

Moin.

Yes, you can get the feeling of more comfort in your life by gemstones.
I have always some stones around and with me - just that one, I need most.
When I think I want to carry a stone with me, I only have to look at the stones and the "right one" I can feel.

Books I cannot recommend to you, because they are all in German. Maybe there will exist translations of the author "Michael Gienger". Perhaps you will find his books in English too. His books are the most complete ones I know.
Yours
Nymeria

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
Quote from: Nymeria;76043
Moin.

Yes, you can get the feeling of more comfort in your life by gemstones.
I have always some stones around and with me - just that one, I need most.
When I think I want to carry a stone with me, I only have to look at the stones and the "right one" I can feel.

Books I cannot recommend to you, because they are all in German. Maybe there will exist translations of the author "Michael Gienger". Perhaps you will find his books in English too. His books are the most complete ones I know.

I can read German :). So I'll see if I can find some books by him. It just takes me a bit longer to read in German.

Thanks for the titles Blackswan, I'll see if I can find those books!
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Gemstones
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:24:49 am »
Quote from: Nymeria;76043
Maybe there will exist translations of the author "Michael Gienger". Perhaps you will find his books in English too. His books are the most complete ones I know.

I have one of his books in English.

My experience has been that different people react differently to different stones and vice versa.  Also, individual specimens of the same kind of stone can have different properties.  Sometimes that seems to be determined by if/how the specific piece is cut, polished, and/or set.  

I have several books on the metaphysical properties of stones, but none of them "fits" me perfectly.  This is the sort of thing that you just have to experiment with.  Pick a stone and carry, wear, meditate, whatever with it for a while, and see how you feel.  Trust yourself over any book.

One thing you should be aware of is that there is A LOT of scammage out there regarding stones.  F'ex, several years ago, one of the metaphysical stone companies started touting "Azeztulite".  They claimed it's a super-speshul form of white quartz whose amazing properties were revealed to them by aliens.  That made "Azeztulite" very rare and valuable, so they charge a fortune for it. Of course, it's really just garden-variety white quartz, which is literally one of the most common rocks in the world. (I'm not making this up.  Google it.)  

So, whatever book you read, keep the salt handy.

Also, be aware that many vendors don't properly identify their stones.  Treatments such as heat treating a stone to change or enhance its color (very common with citrine, f'ex) or outright dying a stone (common with black onyx and turquoise, among others) should be disclosed.  Reputable sellers are good about that, but there are many who don't disclose or -- in the case of small dealers, like many on Etsy -- who don't know any better.  I see stones flat-out mislabeled all the time.  It's definitely worth it to educate yourself on the physical properties of stones before buying any for the metaphysical properties.  Plus, the metaphysical properties are often based on the physical properties, so it's good to understand them.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:10 pm »

I echo all that Aster Breo wrote. I have found several very bright unusually colored stones that have turned out to be dyed agates. Dying them doesn't bother some people. Dyed howlite is common in jewelry for example. But unless they are marked, they can be difficult to identify without using rock guides or taking them to dealers. Rock guides that are not about metaphysical properties exist online.

I take pictures of my stones and save them on the computer. Then I experiment with them and type my observations both single use and on combos with other stones under the photos along with pertinent facts about the stones. I thought it would be a slower process than it has been, but I have a decent reference now after only a few years.

AradiaRose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:23:37 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;76117

One thing you should be aware of is that there is A LOT of scammage out there regarding stones.  F'ex, several years ago, one of the metaphysical stone companies started touting "Azeztulite".  They claimed it's a super-speshul form of white quartz whose amazing properties were revealed to them by aliens.  That made "Azeztulite" very rare and valuable, so they charge a fortune for it. Of course, it's really just garden-variety white quartz, which is literally one of the most common rocks in the world. (I'm not making this up.  Google it.)  

So, whatever book you read, keep the salt handy.

Also, be aware that many vendors don't properly identify their stones.  Treatments such as heat treating a stone to change or enhance its color (very common with citrine, f'ex) or outright dying a stone (common with black onyx and turquoise, among others) should be disclosed.  Reputable sellers are good about that, but there are many who don't disclose or -- in the case of small dealers, like many on Etsy -- who don't know any better.  I see stones flat-out mislabeled all the time.  It's definitely worth it to educate yourself on the physical properties of stones before buying any for the metaphysical properties.  Plus, the metaphysical properties are often based on the physical properties, so it's good to understand them.

~ Aster

Was about to make my own post to ask where the best places to buy gemstones online would be, but the opportunity seems to be presenting itself here! Any advice? I have a hard time getting around to most stores that would carry these items, so it's likely I'll buy online.

Currently, I'm looking for a basic set of gemstones to get a sense of how different stones resonate with me. Any advice on where to look?
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about.Rumi

Blogging at: aradiarose.tumblr.com

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Gemstones
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:50:47 am »
Quote from: AradiaRose;76560
Currently, I'm looking for a basic set of gemstones to get a sense of how different stones resonate with me. Any advice on where to look?

For reasonably priced (for the most part) and accurately labeled (for the most part) stones intended for metaphysical use, try https://www.metaphysicalrealm1.com/.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:32:01 pm »

When I first started working with gems and crystals I just bought a few at a time and spent a couple hours looking info up on the web. Books are great too, but I find I can get the information quickly by just looking it up and it's generally the same stuff on each website with minor differences :)

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »

METAPHYSICAL PROPERTIES
CRYSTALS & STONES

Info covered under copyright, removed
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:07:51 pm by HeartShadow »

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
Quote from: Wind;76648
METAPHYSICAL PROPERTIES
CRYSTALS & STONES

copyright info removed
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:07:01 pm by HeartShadow »

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 07:12:46 pm »
Quote from: Wind;76649
Metaphysical Properties of Stones

copyright info removed - Shadow
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:06:32 pm by HeartShadow »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 07:22:19 pm »
Quote from: Wind;76648
METAPHYSICAL PROPERTIES
CRYSTALS & STONES

Is this your own work, or is it from somewhere else?  Posting other people's words as your own is against the rules here.

If I do not receive a response by tomorrow this time, I will be forced to assume there is a copyright violation and remove the posts.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;76654
Is this your own work, or is it from somewhere else?  Posting other people's words as your own is against the rules here.

If I do not receive a response by tomorrow this time, I will be forced to assume there is a copyright violation and remove the posts.

HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

It's something I collected. You'll have to delete it because it's not my own, it's all collected from others. I didn't realize we couldn't post that here. I won't again.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
Quote from: Wind;76660
It's something I collected. You'll have to delete it because it's not my own, it's all collected from others. I didn't realize we couldn't post that here. I won't again.

Thank you for letting us know.

Tags: