Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Author Topic: Energy Work, magic, prayer  (Read 1308 times)

Ravaris

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Energy Work, magic, prayer
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:29 pm »
Time to generate some discussion:

Magic

Energy work

Prayer

These are all different ways of spiritual interacting with the world. But what is the difference between these three things and and how do they interact with each other. Also if this goes in a different area please feel free to put it there as I'm new here and still getting used to where I should put things, thanks.

Anyways I myself am most familiar with energy work and prayer but have often been confused about what magic is and if there is even a difference between the magic and energy work. For me energy work is just part of my being a way of reaching out and interacting with the world whether it be through healing, feeling, or communicating. Prayer is a way of communing with higher powers and not just asking them for help but also showing your respect and reverence. But magic is something I've never really understood people light candles and burn incense to help them do something that just seems natural to me. Thanks in advance for any help and clarification.

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Work, magic, prayer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:42:32 pm »
Quote from: Ravaris;106473

Anyways I myself am most familiar with energy work and prayer but have often been confused about what magic is and if there is even a difference between the magic and energy work. For me energy work is just part of my being a way of reaching out and interacting with the world whether it be through healing, feeling, or communicating. Prayer is a way of communing with higher powers and not just asking them for help but also showing your respect and reverence. But magic is something I've never really understood people light candles and burn incense to help them do something that just seems natural to me. Thanks in advance for any help and clarification.

yeah thats confusin stuff. im not super sure really...
i dont really pray but i do lots of energy work in magic. i dont know if praying needs much energy work cuz its kinda like askin for someone elses energy. but im not really sure...
about what magic is... there isnt really one answer. i used to think that magic was the KIND of energy that was used. but that could also be not true since life/nature energy is used a lot too. magic could be just the WAY that energy is used though. like by lighting candles and burning insense. its just more of a craft than a one thing. maybe. someoneelseanswer...

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Energy Work, magic, prayer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
Quote from: Ravaris;106473
Time to generate some discussion:

Magic

Energy work

Prayer

These are all different ways of spiritual interacting with the world. But what is the difference between these three things and and how do they interact with each other.

My definition of magic is pretty close to one discussed elsewhere on forum recently, the art of creating change in accordance with will.

Energy work is a method of doing that (though it is not the only thing energy work might do). Prayer is a method of doing that. (again, not the only thing prayer might do.) There are times that deciding to paint your house might be a magical act, or going to the gym, or submitting a resume.

Energy work is the term I use for 'managing my own energy and how I interact with the energies around me' - everything from centering/grounding/shielding to spinning group energies into a single goal when I'm doing group work.

There are also ways in which it is not explicitly magical all the time (or at least not any more than any number of things are): I generally aim at eating sensibly, drinking plenty of water, and getting some exercise because they improve my energy work, but those are not things most people consider magic.

Prayer covers a huge range of possible interactions: I'm not up right now to laying out the different kinds of prayer, except to say that the magical applications of it are only a small wedge of the pie.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: