Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Cross-path curse removal?  (Read 2706 times)

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Cross-path curse removal?
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:59:50 am »
Hi- I'm one of the Kemetics, and have an interest in Heka. I don't really have much knowledge of other traditions.

The mention in curses in a couple intro posts got me thinking.

My take on Heka is that it is a great big toolbox with all sorts of stuff in it. It doesn't divide up into "light and dark". How you use those tools can be accord with Ma'at (who is  much more complex than simply being "good") or it's against her. You will have to deal with the consequences of what you do. But curses are a part of the religion, and specific rituals were done in the temples daily to curse the enemies of Ra.

So, do you think that a curse done by someone from one path can be removed or reflected back by a person from another?
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-path curse removal?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:47 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;8649
So, do you think that a curse done by someone from one path can be removed or reflected back by a person from another?

It is possible, maybe not always necessary. Personally, I believe in using whatever methods is necessary.

I know with some of my "clients" (moreso friends than anything) I will work within their faith and give them things to do to allow them to take control. Now if they ask me to do the workings for them, I will do so the way I do it on my own.

Among hoodoo folk or folk magic practitioners, sometimes if one within those areas do the cursing, you will normally hear of people going to someone within that area who is strong enough to repel/reverse/remove the curse that has been laid, or the crossing that has been done.

I think sometimes working within the area that the curse was placed magnifies the reversal/removal work. That's just my take on it. No, I don't feel comfortable working within the Christian-influenced practices, but I can do it nonetheless, but I feel the way I do it would make it stronger for me to work . . . so I would work within my path.

I guess my answer is: It depends.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:45 pm »

Counter-curse work would be pretty damn useless if it couldn't.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:56 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;8847
Counter-curse work would be pretty damn useless if it couldn't.

Do you think it depends on the belief of the person? If, for instance, someone placed a hex on me from the Santeria path, could I go to someone who is Kemetic and have them remove the curse with different energies? Or would it depend on my belief or strength of the individual doing the counter-curse?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:17:01 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;8850
Do you think it depends on the belief of the person? If, for instance, someone placed a hex on me from the Santeria path, could I go to someone who is Kemetic and have them remove the curse with different energies? Or would it depend on my belief or strength of the individual doing the counter-curse?

Someone's either skilled enough to deal with a curse or they're not.  If they can't deal with a curse from a different tradition, what are they going to do, go around saying "Please don't hex me, I claim diplomatic immunity, I'm not from your country"?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:53 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;8853
Someone's either skilled enough to deal with a curse or they're not.  If they can't deal with a curse from a different tradition, what are they going to do, go around saying "Please don't hex me, I claim diplomatic immunity, I'm not from your country"?

Didn't mean to come across rude. I just enjoy discussing topics like these in-depth.

I agree with what you are stating. Matter of fact, it has always been a pet peeve of mine to hear of someone who has been crossed/hexed/cursed and went to someone they thought they could trust or someone who claimed to have the skills/abilities to reverse/remove the curse/hex and just cause it to be worse.

Matter of fact, let's discuss that since it is pertinent . . .

Why would someone want to literally dabble in such things without the knowledge and skill and risk causing the client/friend/family member harm because of their stupidity to claim to be able to do things that will cause a better atmosphere?

If you can do it and do it correctly, fine, go for it. If you cannot, stay out of the line of fire before it blows in your face and causes injure to the innocent.

Sorry, just a pet peeve. :ashamed: Forget that, it pisses me off!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:30:27 pm by CozyWitch »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:55 am »

Yes, I've need seen any issues with doing so. Sometimes it helps to understand the curse which means you may need to do some research into the path of the hexer to be most effective.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »
.. So, do you think that a curse done by someone from one path can be removed or reflected back by a person from another?

I'm probably in the minority here but I think many use the term curse but have no idea of the skills needed to trully caste one.  In that regard and in my own opinion i'd say probably 90 - 98 percent of all supposed curses are wishful thinking on the part of the person doing them and self-impossed on the part of the person being subject to them.

Because of that I think anyone who can get inside the head of the cursed person can remove them.  Effectively since the majority of the curse is self fulfilling and created by the persons belief that they were in fact cursed.  But like I said that pertains to that 90 - 98 percentile.

Though I add the disclaimer that while they are typically easier to remove many times the ease lies in ones ability to convence they can do so.  If the cursed person does not believe you can then you won't regardless of the way you approach it.

The rest now that is a different story all together.  These include death bed curses, Chief Cornstalk comes to mind here for instance, vengence curses, blood curses, area curses, etc.  These are the type where every fiber of the person was involved in creating the curse, every bit of energy they possessed focused into its creation and sustaining of the curse, often a reward of great significance given to the power behind the curse, even to the extent of the casters remaining life force.

Those are best removed using the energies and beliefs under which they were first cast.  Some having resisted all attempts to remove them by practioners not of the original caster's race and beliefs, again Cornstalk comes to mind as an example.  The supposed zero year curse that was placed upon US presidents also comes to mind as a NA curse.  Even some hauntings and such death bed curses to keep anyone from living upon thier land.  There is one such curse in effect in Maryland where to live upon the place it has charged the death of one member of each generation to do so.  Usually in a horrific way or in such a way as to reinvigorate the curse energies.

I also think many tend to lump Curse's into a single category yet I personaly do not believe that to be so. A curse to me is the ultimate in such magics yet a Hex is a lessor form of curse.  The Evil Eye type hex is lessor then a full onset curse yet more than an anger or frustration or revenge hex for instance.

So for the majority of so called curses I think pathway really doesn't matter, yet for that limited minority pathway is everything.

Tags: