Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Casting spell bracelets  (Read 3258 times)

GraceIrisxx

• View Profile
Casting spell bracelets
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »
Hey everyone,
 I'm kinda new to witchcraft and have cast/made quite a few braided bracelets, mostly focusing on different 'subjects'. I like working this way as I feel the spell is more tangible. I would just like to ask maybe how to improve my skills, improve the effectiveness of such spells etc. and any basic spells/rituals you would recommend for a beginner like myself.

Thanks!
Grace

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
Re: Casting spell bracelets
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:47 pm »
Quote from: GraceIrisxx;138323
Hey everyone,
 I'm kinda new to witchcraft and have cast/made quite a few braided bracelets, mostly focusing on different 'subjects'. I like working this way as I feel the spell is more tangible. I would just like to ask maybe how to improve my skills, improve the effectiveness of such spells etc. and any basic spells/rituals you would recommend for a beginner like myself.

Thanks!
Grace

Sounds like you're doing a good job here on your own. I'd never have thought of building a spell into  braided bracelet, probably because I don't tend to wear anything on my wrists.

How do you improve? Through practice. And experimenting. Don't be afraid to get it wrong.

I do some crafty things, and if you are anything like me you can get into a rhythm where your entire focus is on what you are creating and the rest of the world kinda takes a step into the background.

What you could do is set a mood before you begin braiding - light a candle, burn some incense if that helps, set the music you like something with a steady beat. You could even try saying a chant either out loud or in your mind as you are working - a chant that fits the rhythm of your working would be perfect.

per-ankh

• View Profile
Casting spell bracelets
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Grace

I don't do much spellcasting anymore, but when I did, I was all about knotwork. I never turned any of them into bracelets, though, and I think that's really clever!

As for advice, I can only really tell you what helped me. When I did knotwork, I made up a little song to sing as I tied the strings. That really helped me focus my intent. The only other advice I can think of would be to broaden your work, if you want. It's probably because I'm unimaginative, but I feel like bracelets wouldn't be a good carrier for every spell. In those cases, maybe you could make a longer knotted string and fashion it into a different shape, or drape it over something. Otherwise, it sounds like you've been doing good work already!

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:14 pm »
Quote from: per-ankh;138328
The only other advice I can think of would be to broaden your work, if you want.

You could easily expand this out - macrame, knitting, crocheting, weaving, perhaps even making your own thread.

Also experiment with different textiles to create new textures - think about appealing to all of your senses.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:43:15 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Grace

I don't know much about it myself, but you might try googling "cord and knot magic" to find out more info.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »
Hey everyone,

A couple of ideas:

- I use magical oils on cord work, in cooperation with the goal. (I get most of mine from Twilight Alchemy Lab, but there's plenty of sources: I haven't had the space/time/focus to work on blending my own for quite a while.)

- I've done magical workings in the past where I'd charge a bead or stone or something else that can be strung, and then strung it on something I could wear all the time. I prefer anklets to bracelets for this purpose, because they're a lot less obvious in daily life (especially for those of us who are in professional settings. Also a lot less irritating to type around for me :)

You do want something fairly small for this purpose - flat beads work a bit more comfortably than round, and not too heavy. Metal beads, especially stamped ones, can have rough edges on the hole that will wear fiber away quickly. If you're wearing it all the time, something that can take being bathed with/sweat/etc. is necessary.

I always build in a clasp (I've found lobster clasps work best, both for stability/security and for not being irritating on the skin) so that I can take it off somewhere else. (At times when an anklet would be in appropriate, I usually hook it around a bra strap and tuck it into my bra, so it is against my skin.

- For other kinds of fiber magic: I do spin yarn, and I've sometimes spun as a magical tool (both using the spinning process and using the final result).

I also do a form of knot magic to undo blockages where I set up a series of knots (usually 7 or 9, usually naming them with a combination of divination and other introspection) and then charge the whole thing, use an appropriate magical oil, and then undo a knot every time period (every week, on the moon phase, or every full moon/new moon, depending on what I'm doing. This is obviously for long-term magical work, since 9 knots would be 9 weeks if it's weekly, and 7 would be nearly 4 months if you're going on the full and new moons.)

Obviously, I pick the structure before I set the knots, and I make a little drawing map of which knot is which blockage, and so on. I like the method because it gives me a short-term meditation focus/thing to think about, while clearly being part of a larger project.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

GraceIrisxx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;138337

I also do a form of knot magic to undo blockages where I set up a series of knots (usually 7 or 9, usually naming them with a combination of divination and other introspection) and then charge the whole thing, use an appropriate magical oil, and then undo a knot every time period (every week, on the moon phase, or every full moon/new moon, depending on what I'm doing. This is obviously for long-term magical work, since 9 knots would be 9 weeks if it's weekly, and 7 would be nearly 4 months if you're going on the full and new moons.)

Obviously, I pick the structure before I set the knots, and I make a little drawing map of which knot is which blockage, and so on. I like the method because it gives me a short-term meditation focus/thing to think about, while clearly being part of a larger project.

Wow, I never thought of continuing it by undoing the knots, that's a great idea thanks. I usually put 7 knots in my bracelets, I don't know why I just do. I think a routine will help too.

Thanks for all of your ideas, I think I'll try different materials, forms etc. I like wearing them as bracelets because like I said, it's more tangible, so it reminds me of it, and I kind of feel closer to it as well. I have tried to kind of charge a necklace I always wear, I'm not sure how successful it was as it was a while ago, so I think I may redo it possibly.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, you guys are amazing!
Grace

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Grace

You've already got some great advice here, but yeah, I do this too. I make those knotted friendship bracelets into a kind of knot magic bracelet every now and then, and I make them as devotional things for my gods. I find the knotting to be quite a meditative process, and it allows me to chant and focus on my knots as I'm weaving the bracelet together. I made a travel one for my best friend before she went away to Europe last year to keep her safe.

Like you, I like the tangible nature of them, that I can wear them without anyone knowing what they're really for. And the colours can be so easily used to enhance the magic. I wear them until they break, and then I consider the magic spent, and it's time to make another.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Qumran Taj

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.qumrantaj.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:40:29 pm »
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Grace

What an excellent idea!  I have little to add to what has already been posted except that ANYTHING that brings your thoughts back to the purpose of the bracelet will keep your mind focused and the magickal power active.
"The ultimate secret to magickal power is to know that you have it" ~Qumran Taj http://www.qumrantaj.com

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:44 am »
Quote from: cymrudraco;138354
You've already got some great advice here, but yeah, I do this too. I make those knotted friendship bracelets into a kind of knot magic bracelet every now and then, and I make them as devotional things for my gods. I find the knotting to be quite a meditative process, and it allows me to chant and focus on my knots as I'm weaving the bracelet together. I made a travel one for my best friend before she went away to Europe last year to keep her safe.

Like you, I like the tangible nature of them, that I can wear them without anyone knowing what they're really for. And the colours can be so easily used to enhance the magic. I wear them until they break, and then I consider the magic spent, and it's time to make another.

I do this as well, I have made them since I was a child, and love the process.  I like to chant as I knot.  I have done both anklets (that stay on through showers and until they wear off) and ones with clasps for wearing only on particular days.   I also made a very long devotional knotted prayer cord that I wear looped around my wrist ( I wrap it until it won't just fall off)

You can also dab scents on it that match your purpose (I would go lighter than you think at first, don't want to drench it in scent)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

GraceIrisxx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;138376

You can also dab scents on it that match your purpose (I would go lighter than you think at first, don't want to drench it in scent)

That's a really good idea! I keep the bracelets on all the time until the break, even in the shower, so wouldn't the scent eventually wear out?

Thanks for all your tips and advice everyone!
Grace

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:03 am »
Quote from: GraceIrisxx;138404
That's a really good idea! I keep the bracelets on all the time until the break, even in the shower, so wouldn't the scent eventually wear out?

Thanks for all your tips and advice everyone!
Grace

Yes, but you could reapply it if you like.  I would do it like adding charge to an ongoing working (which you can also do with a small ritual when you put on a removable bracelet) with a short prayer, running your fingers over it or visualizing the effect you wish to enact.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: