collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Candle Magic  (Read 3248 times)

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Candle Magic
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »
Hey, folks!

I've finally got a candle. It's a nice brown apple-and-cinnamon scented one. I've been thinking of using it in candle magic. Sending energy, writing something in the wax and burning the candle, prayers, etcetera. I am also thinking of using it in place of incense in my Midsummer ritual because I don't have any incense and can't really get any.

I do have a problem though. According to everything I read, the candle must be left to burn out. However, I would like to reuse the candle, as I don't get them very often, and it's a 30-hour burn time and it's highly impractical to keep it burning all that time. Is it permissible to reuse it?

missgraceless

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Location: NC
  • Posts: 610
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 8
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:22:46 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;113269
Hey, folks!

I've finally got a candle. It's a nice brown apple-and-cinnamon scented one. I've been thinking of using it in candle magic. Sending energy, writing something in the wax and burning the candle, prayers, etcetera. I am also thinking of using it in place of incense in my Midsummer ritual because I don't have any incense and can't really get any.

I do have a problem though. According to everything I read, the candle must be left to burn out. However, I would like to reuse the candle, as I don't get them very often, and it's a 30-hour burn time and it's highly impractical to keep it burning all that time. Is it permissible to reuse it?

 
I always reuse mine. I don't have enough money to always buy new candles for each spell. But I've noticed (not sure if it's just me, though. Anyone else have this issue?) that if you blow out the candle instead of snuffing it, it sort of cancels/lessens the magic you're working.
Quote
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2454
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 157
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:50:51 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;113269
Is it permissible to reuse it?


If it's for regular ritual use on your altar there's really nothing wrong with that.  

Never heard of a re-using ones for spells though.  I think the general belief is that once a candle is anointed, carved, whatever, it's pretty much dedicated to one purpose or outcome, and letting it burn itself out is how you make sure it does all it can for you.  If long burning times and expensive candles make your practice difficult, try tealights.   They're cheap, you can carve on 'em, and they burn out in just a few hours.  I practice alone so for me they're ideal.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:00 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;113276
If it's for regular ritual use on your altar there's really nothing wrong with that.  

Never heard of a re-using ones for spells though.  I think the general belief is that once a candle is anointed, carved, whatever, it's pretty much dedicated to one purpose or outcome, and letting it burn itself out is how you make sure it does all it can for you.  If long burning times and expensive candles make your practice difficult, try tealights.   They're cheap, you can carve on 'em, and they burn out in just a few hours.  I practice alone so for me they're ideal.

 
I can use tealights for the purposes of spells. I don't really have a permanent altar, but I suppose that sending energy and using it for ritual and prayer purposes would be considered regular altar use.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:58:55 pm by Night Owl »

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:16:51 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113277
I can use tealights for the purposes of spells. I don't really have a permanent altar, but I suppose that sending energy and using it for ritual and prayer purposes would be considered regular altar use.

 
I have another quick question. If I only use it for non-spell usage, but then when it's really burnt down use it for a spell when it doesn't have much burning time left in it, is that OK?

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2826
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 48
    • View Profile
Candle Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:28:12 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;113276
If long burning times and expensive candles make your practice difficult, try tealights.   They're cheap, you can carve on 'em, and they burn out in just a few hours.  I practice alone so for me they're ideal.

Or birthday candles.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2454
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 157
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:44 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;113278
I have another quick question. If I only use it for non-spell usage, but then when it's really burnt down use it for a spell when it doesn't have much burning time left in it, is that OK?

Well there's not some hard & fast rule against it.  If you use your one candle for rituals & such, it's effectively a devotional candle.  By the time it burns down to nubbins, you've worked with it for hours upon hours, so you could suppose that it's been suffused with some extra oomph over that time.  You could even take small shavings off the wax to add that oomph to something else.  

I like Aster's recommendation of birthday candles.  If your magic requires colors, but you lack the funds/space to work with something bigger, birthday candles are the perfect answer.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

deene

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 6
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 05:05:09 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;113298
Or birthday candles.

 
birthday candles are great. come in different colors and last about 5 mins, good for practicing meditation............

Night Owl

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Posts: 127
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 4
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:30:06 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;113301
Well there's not some hard & fast rule against it.  If you use your one candle for rituals & such, it's effectively a devotional candle.  By the time it burns down to nubbins, you've worked with it for hours upon hours, so you could suppose that it's been suffused with some extra oomph over that time.  You could even take small shavings off the wax to add that oomph to something else.  

I like Aster's recommendation of birthday candles.  If your magic requires colors, but you lack the funds/space to work with something bigger, birthday candles are the perfect answer.

 
Thanks for answering! :D:

I will definitely take your suggestions. Birthday candles do seem like a good idea. They are also very easy to find and buy.

ALiteraryLady

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 203
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;113323
Thanks for answering! :D:

I will definitely take your suggestions. Birthday candles do seem like a good idea. They are also very easy to find and buy.

 
Both tealights and birthday candles are good and I've used tealights in the past, but I also find that many occult or new age shops sell small slender colored candles for like 25 to fifty cents a pop, which really isn't too expensive. Whenever I visit my mom, I tend to stock up on a ton of colors so they are always on standby. I have a candle box I house them all in and I've found some really nice ones at Goodwill and other donation areas.

kristoff1235

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 13
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Candle Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:27 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;113272
But I've noticed (not sure if it's just me, though. Anyone else have this issue?) that if you blow out the candle instead of snuffing it, it sort of cancels/lessens the magic you're working.


I've only ever done one ritual with candles, I christened my Book, cauldron, and stelle. It really didn't seem to hurt anything for me to blow out the candles. But I didn't exactly have a plan per say when I started. I did return the energy I stored in the candle back to the earth before blowing them out if that changes things...

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
1689 Views
Last post August 13, 2011, 01:10:47 pm
by KittyVel
14 Replies
2564 Views
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:44:04 am
by AthenaiiseSofia
3 Replies
1134 Views
Last post November 12, 2011, 08:46:58 am
by Ainne
2 Replies
915 Views
Last post January 24, 2012, 06:47:46 pm
by RandallS
4 Replies
1220 Views
Last post April 27, 2014, 04:47:17 pm
by Mikie

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall