Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: are flies a sign of anything?  (Read 1911 times)

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
are flies a sign of anything?
« on: May 13, 2013, 01:07:52 am »
i been havin lotsa flies in my bathroom lately. i know its spring so bugs are startin to show up like crazy but i cant tell where the flies are comin from. i dont have any open windows and i been keepin my drains closed and there isnt a nest or anythin that i can see. they just keep poppin up like nobodys business tho. so i was wonderin if they were a sign/omen of anythin mebbe?
i been doin magic a lot more then usual lately and magical things happen around me more when i do lots of magic. so i got that crazy person logic going for me right now. alsoooo... i mighta done a not nice thing with magic lately. i dont believe in the threefold law or magical karma or anythin. but i did a curse to bring bad luck to my neighbors house cuz they were butts to me. maybe it just backfired onto my house?
but i just wanna make sure its not one of those "yur gunna die in 7 days" type things. or if there are any good hex protex spells i can use

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: are flies a sign of anything?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:41 am »
Quote from: Olie;108515
i been havin lotsa flies in my bathroom lately. i know its spring so bugs are startin to show up like crazy but i cant tell where the flies are comin from. i dont have any open windows and i been keepin my drains closed and there isnt a nest or anythin that i can see. they just keep poppin up like nobodys business tho. so i was wonderin if they were a sign/omen of anythin mebbe?
i been doin magic a lot more then usual lately and magical things happen around me more when i do lots of magic. so i got that crazy person logic going for me right now. alsoooo... i mighta done a not nice thing with magic lately. i dont believe in the threefold law or magical karma or anythin. but i did a curse to bring bad luck to my neighbors house cuz they were butts to me. maybe it just backfired onto my house?
but i just wanna make sure its not one of those "yur gunna die in 7 days" type things. or if there are any good hex protex spells i can use

They like the smell of human crap, that's where they lay their eggs!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 02:24:16 am »

I doubt it - they have to be coming from somewhere.   Did you check your room thoroughly for any forgotten food items?   Or maybe there's a dead rodent somewhere, have you noticed any strange odors?   If they're really tiny, then they could be fruit flies.
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:13:14 am »
Quote from: DashesAgainst;108517
I doubt it - they have to be coming from somewhere.   Did you check your room thoroughly for any forgotten food items?   Or maybe there's a dead rodent somewhere, have you noticed any strange odors?   If they're really tiny, then they could be fruit flies.

Yeah, mostly flies are a sign that something is rotting.  Unless they're biting flies, in which case they're a sign of livestock.
The only time I would be worried about flies, and I'm not being flippant or sarcastic here, is if they're accompanied by a stomach-clenching, paralyzing sense of nausea and fear and maybe the inexplicable stench of decay--I have once encountered flies in that context being worrisome.  And those things are worrisome on their own without any flies present.  So: you're probably safe.

Sometimes things are just symbols of themselves.  The world needs flies.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:59 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;108516
They like the smell of human crap, that's where they lay their eggs!

oh noes! but im full of crap! haha

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:25 am »
Quote from: Valentine;108519
Yeah, mostly flies are a sign that something is rotting.  Unless they're biting flies, in which case they're a sign of livestock.
The only time I would be worried about flies, and I'm not being flippant or sarcastic here, is if they're accompanied by a stomach-clenching, paralyzing sense of nausea and fear and maybe the inexplicable stench of decay--I have once encountered flies in that context being worrisome.  And those things are worrisome on their own without any flies present.  So: you're probably safe.

Sometimes things are just symbols of themselves.  The world needs flies.

GOOD P: thanks! i just kept thinkin of that scene from the craft where all them bugs and snakes and junk were comin outta thew drain. O,.O
i still dont smell or see anythin rotten or gross.... but i think i jinxed them away cuz after i posted this i cant find any >.,>
so nevermind everyone false alarm C:

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »

Flies = The Amityville Horror movies.

No, seriously - if you have flies it means there's something gross around. Clean the bathroom super good, make sure you're not leaving old banana peels in the garbage or something, and buy screens for the windows. Check for smells coming from inside the walls in case there's a dead raccoon in there or something.

Doing lots of magic does tend to cause a consciousness shift where you can easily start to read magical reasons into the most mundane of things - this can wind up crossing the line into straight-up delusion, where everything is a sign or omen. What it sounds like to me is that you've got a touch of the magical paranoia going on is all, which happens to lots of people. You may be feeling a bit of guilt or uncertainty too, since you kinda jumped straight to admitting your curse.

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:51 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;108563
Flies = The Amityville Horror movies.

No, seriously - if you have flies it means there's something gross around. Clean the bathroom super good, make sure you're not leaving old banana peels in the garbage or something, and buy screens for the windows. Check for smells coming from inside the walls in case there's a dead raccoon in there or something.

Doing lots of magic does tend to cause a consciousness shift where you can easily start to read magical reasons into the most mundane of things - this can wind up crossing the line into straight-up delusion, where everything is a sign or omen. What it sounds like to me is that you've got a touch of the magical paranoia going on is all, which happens to lots of people. You may be feeling a bit of guilt or uncertainty too, since you kinda jumped straight to admitting your curse.

yeah yeah! it was totes magical paranoia. i think i was just hopin it was somethin magical tho cuz normal reasons seemed so boring. also i didnt wanna find a nest of maggots or whatever
but yeah i hope im nice enough to feel guilty about that curse tho haha

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »
Quote from: Olie;108679
yeah yeah! it was totes magical paranoia. i think i was just hopin it was somethin magical tho cuz normal reasons seemed so boring.

That way lies false positives, my friend. Dangerous for a magician.

but yeah i hope im nice enough to feel guilty about that curse tho haha

You can't be all THAT nice if you cast it, now can you? See, here's the thing... I'm of the opinion that if you're going to curse people? You better not feel guilty, because if you do that indicates you didn't mean it. And if you didn't mean it, why did you bother?

Tags: