Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Any kitchen witches care to share what being one means to you?  (Read 2446 times)

TinyToad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Any kitchen witches care to share what being one means to you?
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:50:09 pm »
Below is just me rambling about why I think I might identify with the kitchen witch concept, can be skipped, primarily wondering what qualifies one as a kitchen witch, in people's opinions?

Of all the different "types" of witches/craft I've read about, I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to the concept of the kitchen witch. I almost feel like it might finally be my thing, that I've been looking for without knowing exactly what it was.

I already cook/bake for myself, repair my own clothes, make my own soaps, salt scrubs, etc and have an herbal garden. I never really considered any of it to be spellwork, but if it is in some way, then it's definitely my sort of spellwork and has been all along.

I've been trying so hard to go about spellwork in the sense of being at my altar, working with tools and various items, trying to work a system such as an elements-based one, etc. I honestly like the way it all looks and like the atmosphere it creates, but I also honestly don't really feel it. I can't even seem to get this whole raising energy/power concept down.

But on the other hand, when I'm making soap, I feel different from how I normally do. I get into the entire process, and I think about everything that goes into it, everything is important and for a reason. I grow a ton of rosemary because I respond to it somehow, it makes me feel different and also makes me sleep better, and it's like a part of my mind that is normally dormant responds to certain things like that. I also have a serious thing for pine trees in general, I see them as protective/pure, so sometimes I use ground pine needles for an exfoliant in the soap. Then I typically take hour-long showers because there's just something special and almost spiritual to me about bathing, especially with stuff I make myself.

There are other examples but I have a bad habit already of making really long posts lol.

But basically it's not like I raise energy/power in a spell, focus it into an intent and blast it out into the universe (not trying to be sassy, but that's just how I picture it ha). And it's not like I do stuff for very specific things (tried that with a weight loss spell and just felt extremely awkward and silly). It's more like I use X, Y and Z things, for their respective energies that I feel from them, in stuff that I make and then use for those effects.

Does this sort of thing sound like potentially very unrefined kitchen craft?

I usually avoid labels, titles, etc because I'm afraid of claiming to be something I'm not on accident. I usually just put N/A or leave it blank. So I would appreciate any feedback on whether or not my natural tendencies might mean kitchen witch/craft is a good fit for me, or if I'm not really understanding it correctly.

I just honestly get more spiritually out of making and using some special soap than trying to do spellwork at an altar, no matter how awesome I try to make it. I just  don't want to accidentally offend by considering myself a newby kitchen witch while actually not understanding what I'm talking about, and have people be all like making soap doesn't make you a witch, noob.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Any kitchen witches care to share what being one means to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:43 pm »
Quote from: TinyToad;179658

In my experience there are two thngs that people tend to mean when they say "kitchen witch", and you appear to be saying both of them.

One of them is the sort of thing you're referring to in a practical sense: working with herbs and their medicinal and magical functions, spellcraft in cooking, domestic witchery, that kind of thing.

The other is a particular sort of ethos and approach to the Craft, in which the most useful ritual tools are the ones that also serve practical ends, where the kitchen is the laboratory for spellwork, rather than spellwork coming from a set-aside ritual space.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

TinyToad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:24:15 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;179682
In my experience there are two thngs that people tend to mean when they say "kitchen witch", and you appear to be saying both of them.

One of them is the sort of thing you're referring to in a practical sense: working with herbs and their medicinal and magical functions, spellcraft in cooking, domestic witchery, that kind of thing.

The other is a particular sort of ethos and approach to the Craft, in which the most useful ritual tools are the ones that also serve practical ends, where the kitchen is the laboratory for spellwork, rather than spellwork coming from a set-aside ritual space.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, I really appreciate it.

Okay then, I think the kitchen witch path is right for me! :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:31:54 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;179682

I think the other thing I'd note here in general (as Darkhawk knows well) is that a lot of herbs *do* have medicinal properties: it's entirely possible that, say, rosemary in food makes you feel a certain way not just because of the magical properties of the plant, but also because of the physical properties of the plant.

(Which doesn't mean it's a bad idea to use it that way! Just that if you're trying to track effects or figure out what to use for a specific effect, being aware of the physical and medicinal properties can be helpful.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

TinyToad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:02 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;179691
I think the other thing I'd note here in general (as Darkhawk knows well) is that a lot of herbs *do* have medicinal properties: it's entirely possible that, say, rosemary in food makes you feel a certain way not just because of the magical properties of the plant, but also because of the physical properties of the plant.

(Which doesn't mean it's a bad idea to use it that way! Just that if you're trying to track effects or figure out what to use for a specific effect, being aware of the physical and medicinal properties can be helpful.)

Yes, I agree, and it's super fun! When I first started my herb garden, I didn't really consider it magical. I have just always loved working with botanicals and wanted to grow my own. Everything was planted for either nostalgia, pleasure or specific uses, such as the mint to help me with breathing and IBS.

But at the same time, I guess I tend to see magic as a very natural part of the world, too. I don't knock people raising energy, casting specific spells and so on; it's just that I think my way has always been a little more subtle and inherent than ceremonial.

I feel there is something very special about growing plants, even different vines seem to have their own personalities ha. Plants can be a lot like people, sometimes. Like how nettles seem so hostile and like terrible weeds, but if you can look past that and get to know them, they have a lot of benevolent uses. I'm hoping to add a couple patchouli plants next year, as patchouli is very special to me, super excited for that. It just helps get rid of negative energy for me, could be magic, could be a physical property. To me they are kind of the same in a way.

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:44:15 am »
Quote from: TinyToad;179696
I feel there is something very special about growing plants, even different vines seem to have their own personalities ha. Plants can be a lot like people, sometimes. Like how nettles seem so hostile and like terrible weeds, but if you can look past that and get to know them, they have a lot of benevolent uses. I'm hoping to add a couple patchouli plants next year, as patchouli is very special to me, super excited for that. It just helps get rid of negative energy for me, could be magic, could be a physical property. To me they are kind of the same in a way.

My partner and I recently bought a house, and I just finally got around to planting some herbs and flowers. It felt so good to be doing again so what you said above really resonated with me. I like the idea of a kitchen witch and feel very similarly as you towards these activities. I do practice tarot, but I find being in my kitchen and garden to be where I feel that sense of the divine spirituality - it's quiet, peaceful, and humble.

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:40:42 pm »
Below is just me rambling about why I think I might identify with the kitchen witch concept, can be skipped, primarily wondering what qualifies one as a kitchen witch, in people's opinions?

Of all the different "types" of witches/craft I've read about, I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to the concept of the kitchen witch. I almost feel like it might finally be my thing, that I've been looking for without knowing exactly what it was.

I already cook/bake for myself, repair my own clothes, make my own soaps, salt scrubs, etc and have an herbal garden. I never really considered any of it to be spellwork, but if it is in some way, then it's definitely my sort of spellwork and has been all along.

I've been trying so hard to go about spellwork in the sense of being at my altar, working with tools and various items, trying to work a system such as an elements-based one, etc. I honestly like the way it all looks and like the atmosphere it creates, but I also honestly don't really feel it. I can't even seem to get this whole raising energy/power concept down.

But on the other hand, when I'm making soap, I feel different from how I normally do. I get into the entire process, and I think about everything that goes into it, everything is important and for a reason. I grow a ton of rosemary because I respond to it somehow, it makes me feel different and also makes me sleep better, and it's like a part of my mind that is normally dormant responds to certain things like that. I also have a serious thing for pine trees in general, I see them as protective/pure, so sometimes I use ground pine needles for an exfoliant in the soap. Then I typically take hour-long showers because there's just something special and almost spiritual to me about bathing, especially with stuff I make myself.

There are other examples but I have a bad habit already of making really long posts lol.

But basically it's not like I raise energy/power in a spell, focus it into an intent and blast it out into the universe (not trying to be sassy, but that's just how I picture it ha). And it's not like I do stuff for very specific things (tried that with a weight loss spell and just felt extremely awkward and silly). It's more like I use X, Y and Z things, for their respective energies that I feel from them, in stuff that I make and then use for those effects.

Does this sort of thing sound like potentially very unrefined kitchen craft?

I usually avoid labels, titles, etc because I'm afraid of claiming to be something I'm not on accident. I usually just put N/A or leave it blank. So I would appreciate any feedback on whether or not my natural tendencies might mean kitchen witch/craft is a good fit for me, or if I'm not really understanding it correctly.

I just honestly get more spiritually out of making and using some special soap than trying to do spellwork at an altar, no matter how awesome I try to make it. I just  don't want to accidentally offend by considering myself a newby kitchen witch while actually not understanding what I'm talking about, and have people be all like making soap doesn't make you a witch, noob.

I think that you are actually cut from the same cloth. I don't deal well with ceremonial magic. I'm more low key, and tend to do spells or rituals spontaneously with little prep work. I'm also a homebody, and I've always been centered around my family and my home.  So domestic witchery was a perfect fit!  It really seems like you are not talking about exclusive kitchen witchery and more into domestic witchcraft like me.  It took me years for me to feel comfortable about this, because I fought against being  attached to folk magic due to my family's long history of abusing it, and there being little help from the mainstream paganism at the time.  

Also I would like to tell you, that you can put magic into EVERYTHING. Seriously, it is not that hard to take something mundane like cleaning your house, or knitting, or baking to something magickal. It can as simple as visualizing a goal while you doing an action. So don't feel bad. It took me a long time to realize that you have to just go with what you feel the most drawn to, and use what works.

LunaStar

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:23 pm »
[/I]

Yes, you are a kitchen witch! I personally relate to this, but also like to cast spells at my altars.  I believe we are all witches, and everything we do is a spell of some kind in our own personal style.  As long as you are doing what feels right and doesn't hurt anyone else, go for it!  Btw, I consider making soaps and foods quite similar to creating spells and potions!

Tags: