collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: Foods of the gods by Ashmire
[Today at 07:50:34 pm]


Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:26 pm]


Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[Today at 07:23:41 pm]


Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[Today at 07:22:57 pm]


Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Sefiru
[Today at 07:08:12 pm]

Author Topic: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat  (Read 771 times)

Essex

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
Hello everyone! My name is Essex. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I suppose introductions are in order, no?

As I stated before, my name is Essex. Quite contrary my name, I am in fact from the United States. I was born and raised by an English father and American mother in Pennsylvania. Growing up I was raised a United Methodist, a fairly liberal church. I was free to experiment with religion a lot. I suppose we should get that topic out of the way first, eh?

I am what is commonly termed a Christo-Pagan. Yet at the same time, I am not. Many, including myself, feel that the term Christo-... is unsuited because of our theological differences with mainstream Christians. As such, I have adopted the term Jesuism, as the "Christian" aspect of my religion is centered on Jesus.

I consider the Bible to be inspired by but not the inerrant Word of God. I consider the Gospels to be a relatively accurate account of the life of Jesus, but I am very wary of the New Testament Epistles. I really can't believe we based an entire religion about Jesus on the writings of a man (Paul) who never met Him. Although Paul may have had some good ideas, I do not place as much emphasis on him as I do the Gospels. I also accept the Old Testament as partially binding, in the sense that the ritual requirements were fulfilled by the sacrifice of Jesus, and only the moral obligations of all people are still in effect. Really, a good deal of the Bible is probably untrustworthy by now. Also, the Psalter is a handy prayer-book. The Holy Spirit whispers in my ear which ones are good and which ones aren't.

I reject the idea that the Fall of Man was necessarily a bad thing, like Gnostic sects, though I am not Gnostic as I do not consider the world of matter to be corrupt. I think that Adam and Eve may have made a mistake in what they did, but I certainly don't think they doomed us all. I also don't think the events of Genesis actually happened.

While I do accept Vicarious Atonement, I do not consider it a pre-requisite to Salvation, and I am a Universalist. I think that all religions have some truths to them, and some bad things too. I place more emphasis on the life and teachings of Jesus than on His death.

I do accept Trinitarian doctrine. I consider God the Father to be a male, God the Son to be God in human form, High Priest of my religion, and God the Holy Spirit to be female. For me, the Holy Spirit has always been female, She Who Walks With Me, and Heavenly Mother. Analogous to the Wiccan Goddess, She is Wife of The Father, Mother of the Son and Humanity. Perhaps even Asherah, so despised by Jeremiah? I think that Jesus is the ideal human, one of many agents of God.

As for the Gods of other religions, I'd imagine they're like Saints or Angels, only interceding on behalf of their worshipers directly. They probably sit on the Council of Gods mentioned in Psalm 82:1.

I write many of my own rituals, including a pagan Goddess-inclusive Mass (Both for a multitude and a solitary) that I have not yet been able to perform with others but would love too. I also have other blessings and prayers in a personal book, my own Book of Shadows, if you will. I do believe in the Priesthood of All Believers doctrine of the Religious Friends.

I am Pagan because I accept other Gods, making me a henotheist, because I believe in magic, and because I am very nature centered in my religion. The Earth is My Mother, I shall not want, She provideth me with fruitful harvests.

Though I am not positive, I am fairly sure most of religious positions have been denounced as heresy at some point or another, and you guys are really the only ones that will take me.

I also once failed a test because I stubbornly insist that there is only five continents, a position I am sticking with.

So take from me what you will. I greatly value the chance to teach, but much more-so do I value the chance to learn from everyone.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10271
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 284
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:15:55 am »
Quote from: Essex;83740
I am what is commonly termed a Christo-Pagan. Yet at the same time, I am not. Many, including myself, feel that the term Christo-... is unsuited because of our theological differences with mainstream Christians. As such, I have adopted the term Jesuism, as the "Christian" aspect of my religion is centered on Jesus.

Welcome to TC.

I find most of my objections to this belief system are the "Christo-" name and the fact that so many "Christo-Pagans" don't seem to realize how their religion is very different from (and therefore not really part of) Christianity even though they follow Jesus and the JCI God. You seem to have avoid both of these issues.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Waldhexe

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Essen
  • Posts: 684
  • Country: de
  • Total likes: 46
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:10 am »
Quote from: Essex;83740



Welcome to TC!

Laveth

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Posts: 885
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
Quote from: Essex;83740
Hello everyone! My name is Essex. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I suppose introductions are in order, no?

As I stated before, my name is Essex. Quite contrary my name, I am in fact from the United States. I was born and raised by an English father and American mother in Pennsylvania. Growing up I was raised a United Methodist, a fairly liberal church. I was free to experiment with religion a lot. I suppose we should get that topic out of the way first, eh?

I am what is commonly termed a Christo-Pagan. Yet at the same time, I am not. Many, including myself, feel that the term Christo-... is unsuited because of our theological differences with mainstream Christians. As such, I have adopted the term Jesuism, as the "Christian" aspect of my religion is centered on Jesus.

I consider the Bible to be inspired by but not the inerrant Word of God. I consider the Gospels to be a relatively accurate account of the life of Jesus, but I am very wary of the New Testament Epistles. I really can't believe we based an entire religion about Jesus on the writings of a man (Paul) who never met Him. Although Paul may have had some good ideas, I do not place as much emphasis on him as I do the Gospels. I also accept the Old Testament as partially binding, in the sense that the ritual requirements were fulfilled by the sacrifice of Jesus, and only the moral obligations of all people are still in effect. Really, a good deal of the Bible is probably untrustworthy by now. Also, the Psalter is a handy prayer-book. The Holy Spirit whispers in my ear which ones are good and which ones aren't.

I reject the idea that the Fall of Man was necessarily a bad thing, like Gnostic sects, though I am not Gnostic as I do not consider the world of matter to be corrupt. I think that Adam and Eve may have made a mistake in what they did, but I certainly don't think they doomed us all. I also don't think the events of Genesis actually happened.

While I do accept Vicarious Atonement, I do not consider it a pre-requisite to Salvation, and I am a Universalist. I think that all religions have some truths to them, and some bad things too. I place more emphasis on the life and teachings of Jesus than on His death.

I do accept Trinitarian doctrine. I consider God the Father to be a male, God the Son to be God in human form, High Priest of my religion, and God the Holy Spirit to be female. For me, the Holy Spirit has always been female, She Who Walks With Me, and Heavenly Mother. Analogous to the Wiccan Goddess, She is Wife of The Father, Mother of the Son and Humanity. Perhaps even Asherah, so despised by Jeremiah? I think that Jesus is the ideal human, one of many agents of God.

As for the Gods of other religions, I'd imagine they're like Saints or Angels, only interceding on behalf of their worshipers directly. They probably sit on the Council of Gods mentioned in Psalm 82:1.

I write many of my own rituals, including a pagan Goddess-inclusive Mass (Both for a multitude and a solitary) that I have not yet been able to perform with others but would love too. I also have other blessings and prayers in a personal book, my own Book of Shadows, if you will. I do believe in the Priesthood of All Believers doctrine of the Religious Friends.

I am Pagan because I accept other Gods, making me a henotheist, because I believe in magic, and because I am very nature centered in my religion. The Earth is My Mother, I shall not want, She provideth me with fruitful harvests.

Though I am not positive, I am fairly sure most of religious positions have been denounced as heresy at some point or another, and you guys are really the only ones that will take me.

I also once failed a test because I stubbornly insist that there is only five continents, a position I am sticking with.

So take from me what you will. I greatly value the chance to teach, but much more-so do I value the chance to learn from everyone.

 
Welcome. :)

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 04:38:34 am »
Quote from: Essex;83740
I also once failed a test because I stubbornly insist that there is only five continents, a position I am sticking with.

 
I mean, Europe is basically just a peninsula.  You could argue the Indian "subcontinent" is much more qualified as a continent--bigger, different tectonic plate, used to be part of Gondwanaland, much more geographically isolated from the rest of the landmass than Europe is.

I assume you're arguing to count either the Americas as one continent, or discount either Australia or Antarctica?
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Essex

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 2
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;84228

I assume you're arguing to count either the Americas as one continent, or discount either Australia or Antarctica?


Well, in a strictly technical world, the continents list would only consist of definitely America (No water between them, only the Panama Canal), Afroeurasia (Europe and Asia only have the Ural mountains, and the only bisector of Africa and Asia is the Suez Canal). May also include: Oceania (Only if we're counting all the islands and Australia), Greenland, Antarctica (Even though the actual land in Antarctica is supposedly smaller than Australia.)

I find is the absolute minimum I can get away with without getting to technical. My list is: America, Eurasia, Africa, Antarctica, and Oceania.

Valentine

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 936
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 79
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: The Newbie Puts on His Robe and Wizard Hat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »
Quote from: Essex;84302
Well, in a strictly technical world, the continents list would only consist of definitely America (No water between them, only the Panama Canal), Afroeurasia (Europe and Asia only have the Ural mountains, and the only bisector of Africa and Asia is the Suez Canal). May also include: Oceania (Only if we're counting all the islands and Australia), Greenland, Antarctica (Even though the actual land in Antarctica is supposedly smaller than Australia.)

I find is the absolute minimum I can get away with without getting to technical. My list is: America, Eurasia, Africa, Antarctica, and Oceania.

 
Yeah, Greenland isn't nearly so big as it looks on a Mercator map.  So, landmasses connected only by a narrow isthmus are disqualified, in your rubric?  Sinani, Panama, whatever?
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
1690 Views
Last post August 14, 2011, 07:03:05 pm
by LyricFox
4 Replies
817 Views
Last post October 04, 2013, 10:28:52 pm
by stephyjh
2 Replies
943 Views
Last post October 29, 2015, 08:06:17 am
by RandallS
0 Replies
914 Views
Last post December 17, 2015, 02:20:51 am
by Scales
2 Replies
726 Views
Last post January 04, 2018, 10:30:29 pm
by ehbowen

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal