collapse

Author Topic: Newbie Introduction  (Read 1771 times)

Melissa

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: -
  • Preferred Pronouns: -
Newbie Introduction
« on: December 13, 2017, 05:12:25 am »
Hello Everyone!
I am Mel and I am new in this forum. Looking forward to learn new things and to make friends as well as share experiences.
p/s: Can anyone tell me how can I put on a profile picture?
Thank you!

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Newbie Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:54:15 am »
Hello Everyone!
I am Mel and I am new in this forum. Looking forward to learn new things and to make friends as well as share experiences.
Thank you!

Hello, Melissa. Allow the forum's token fundamentalist to extend you a warm greeting this Christmas season.

As far as applying a custom "avatar" which will appear at the head of all your posts, like my choo-choo...well, there are some detailed explanations elsewhere on this forum, but the ones that I have found all seem to refer to the board's previous software installation. So, in the upper right of your screen you should see a tiny square with your present automatically generated avatar. (It should be just to the right of the search box.) Hover over it and a menu should pop up. Go down that menu to "Modify Profile" and a submenu should pop up. On that submenu, click on "Forum Profile". At the top of that page will be a section where you can set a "Personalized Picture." Use that to select, upload, or link to your preferred avatar image. Ensure that it complies with the hosts' Avatar Guidelines as regards file size (10K or less) and maximum image size (128W x 200H).

On that same Forum Profile page you may also set a signature to appear at the bottom of your posts, and you may include a (small) image along with it...such as my tribute to Marvin Martian and the Looney Tunes creators which you see at the bottom of my post. However, since (AFAIK) you are unable to upload a signature picture, you will have to link to it using BBcode. As it is considered bad NetManners to "hotlink" to an image on someone else's web site, you will need to use a hosting service or other solution. As I have my own personal web server, I host my images there and link to them directly. If you're not quite that much of a geek, there are several third-party hosting services...but more and more of them are less interested in providing a service than draining a few bucks a month from your bank account on an ongoing basis. Which is why I left Photobucket for my own self-hosting....

Again, welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to post any additional questions.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Melissa

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful step-by-step guides for the noobie/newbie like me. :p I would like to know if there is a chatroom or some sort in this site. Still getting used to it. :)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful step-by-step guides for the noobie/newbie like me. :p I would like to know if there is a chatroom or some sort in this site. Still getting used to it. :)

We had a question about a Discord server recently: staff have been testing it out and there should be more info about everyone else getting to try it in the near future. (We've had a MUX in the past, and people do sometimes show up there especially if there's interest, too, but as the recent suggestion noted, it can be a bit tricky to learn how to use.)

We do have a rule here that you need to quote previous messages. When you reply to a message, click the 'quote' button to reply, and then keep in at least some of the message you're responding to. (Along with the code that identifies the message you're quoting).

This is to help make it easy to track back through long conversations, or older conversations, and be really clear about who said what.

If you're replying to a long message, please cut out all but a short segment of what you're quoting but keep the code that links back and anything you're directly responding to.

If you're having problems with the technical side of that, feel free to post in the Board Questions forum with what you're trying and what you're getting, or you can use the Test Forum to try things out if you don't want to play with it in a regular thread. (If you're using Tapatalk to connect, the process is a little different, but let us know and someone can explain it.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Melissa

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:31:43 am »
We had a question about a Discord server recently: staff have been testing it out and there should be more info about everyone else getting to try it in the near future. (We've had a MUX in the past, and people do sometimes show up there especially if there's interest, too, but as the recent suggestion noted, it can be a bit tricky to learn how to use.)

We do have a rule here that you need to quote previous messages. When you reply to a message, click the 'quote' button to reply, and then keep in at least some of the message you're responding to. (Along with the code that identifies the message you're quoting).

This is to help make it easy to track back through long conversations, or older conversations, and be really clear about who said what.

If you're replying to a long message, please cut out all but a short segment of what you're quoting but keep the code that links back and anything you're directly responding to.

If you're having problems with the technical side of that, feel free to post in the Board Questions forum with what you're trying and what you're getting, or you can use the Test Forum to try things out if you don't want to play with it in a regular thread. (If you're using Tapatalk to connect, the process is a little different, but let us know and someone can explain it.)

Okay, sorry I am new to this and getting used to the site. I will definitely quote from now on thanks. :)

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:28 pm »

Hello and welcome
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:41:46 am »
Hello Everyone!
Thank you!

Hi, Mel! I just wanted to give you a welcome in your thread, after chatting with you this morning.

You asked about the jacket, so: https://ecauldron.com/forum/worship-and-ritual/a-magician's-cloak/msg211459/#msg211459
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: