collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 23 September 2020: $539 donated. Only $171 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Disconnection by SunflowerP
[Today at 08:06:59 pm]

Re: Recently Blogged by sevensons
[Today at 07:56:07 pm]

Re: Recently Blogged by Kylara
[Today at 02:53:33 pm]

Re: Disconnection by sevensons
[Today at 12:33:30 pm]

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead, and perhaps so is the U.S. by anubisa
[Today at 01:28:57 am]

Author Topic: Merry Meet Ya'll!  (Read 1377 times)

Grey Owl

Merry Meet Ya'll!
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:23:57 am »
Good Day All,
My life has taken me on a varied path and I find myself new to The Cauldron just ten days prior to the celebration of Ostara in the Northern hemisphere. I've served in the military, been an academic and employee advocate in a labor union.  Most recently I'm focused on self reliance and what some might describe as being a "prepper". I've studied and contemplated on a wide range of religions including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Taoism and ultimately found peace by accepting the Pagan faiths of my Celtic and Norse ancestors.  I've been greatly influenced by the late Margot Adler's book about American Paganism entitled "Drawing Down the Moon".  I practice a very eccentric discipline of Wicca embracing Mother Earth and her creatures as well as celebration of the Sabbats. My Wiccan influences include Raymond Buckland, Gerald Gardner and Scott Cunningham.  While I consider myself primarily a Wiccan I'm also interested in Native American shamanism, Norse mythology and Heathenism. I resided in New Orleans for many years and have my spiritual roots there but I currently reside in Tennessee where I live out in the woods in a cozy home amongst the trees and wild things. I'm a member of the Circle Sanctuary and greatly appreciate the Pagan educational network that they've created especially with their tireless work in their outreach ministry to assist brother and sister Pagans serving in the military. I look forward to getting to know other Cauldron members and learning from all of you.  

Grey Lone Owl
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:33:16 am by Grey Owl »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Meet Ya'll!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:35:17 am »
Quote from: Grey Lone Owl;187979
Good Day All,
My life has taken me on a varied path and I find myself new to The Cauldron just ten days prior to the celebration of Ostara in the Northern hemisphere. I've served in the military, been an academic and employee advocate in a labor union.  Most recently I'm focused on self reliance and what some might describe as being a "prepper". I've studied and contemplated on a wide range of religions including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Taoism and ultimately found peace by accepting the Pagan faiths of my Celtic and Norse ancestors.  I've been greatly influenced by the late Margot Adler's book about American Paganism entitled "Drawing Down the Moon".  I practice a very eccentric discipline of Wicca embracing Mother Earth and her creatures as well as celebration of the Sabbats. My Wiccan influences include Raymond Buckland, Gerald Gardner and Scott Cunningham.  While I consider myself primarily a Wiccan I'm also interested in Native American shamanism, Norse mythology and Heathenism. I resided in New Orleans for many years and have my spiritual roots there but I currently reside in Tennessee where I live out in the woods in a cozy home amongst the trees and wild things. I'm a member of the Circle Sanctuary and greatly appreciate the Pagan educational network that they've created especially with their tireless work in their outreach ministry to assist brother and sister Pagans serving in the military. I look forward to getting to know other Cauldron members and learning from all of you.  

Grey Lone Owl

Hello! I don't know what the Circle Sanctuary is. Do you mind to tell me more about it? I'm a Swede, Neo-Platonist and Druid with some other sources of inspiration, including Buddhism and non-mainstream Christianity.

Grey Owl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 11:21:54 am »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;187989
Hello! I don't know what the Circle Sanctuary is. Do you mind to tell me more about it? I'm a Swede, Neo-Platonist and Druid with some other sources of inspiration, including Buddhism and non-mainstream Christianity.

Hello,

You sound like you have a very diverse faith base. I admire anyone who explores different paths.  I believe that keeps our minds and spirits enriched and fresh.

Circle Sanctuary is a Pagan group based in Wisconsin founded in 1974 by Selena Fox. It's a nature spirituality church and works with a wide range of Pagans and non-Pagans.  Please checkout their website at http://www.circlesanctuary.org  They will be hosting Pagan Spirit Gathering in Tall Tree Lake Camp Ground in Southern Illinois from June 19-26 2016.

I'll cop to not knowing  much about Neo-Platonism and Druidism but I'd like to learn. Can you recommend any book titles? Thanks!

Grey Owl

P.S. In my first post I meant to say that I practice a very eclectic form of Wicca not eccentric, although some may indeed label me as such.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:30:23 am by Grey Owl »

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:58:39 am »
Quote from: Grey Owl;187979
Good Day All,

Grey Lone Owl

welcome

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »
Quote from: Grey Owl;187995
You sound like you have a very diverse faith base. I admire anyone who explores different paths.  I believe that keeps our minds and spirits enriched and fresh.

It works, but I live in a permanent tension between these traditions. I have to disregard some aspects of each, in order to hold a coherent worldview.

Circle Sanctuary is a Pagan group based in Wisconsin founded in 1974 by Selena Fox. It's a nature spirituality church and works with a wide range of Pagans and non-Pagans.  Please checkout their website at http://www.circlesanctuary.org  They will be hosting Pagan Spirit Gathering in Tall Tree Lake Camp Ground in Southern Illinois from June 19-26 2016.

It looks very well-organised. Paganism in Sweden, regardless of type, is still at a stage of development limited to small informal circles of friends and loose networks, rather than public denominations with military ministry. The most public and formalised organisation here is probably the Fornsi∂r Association.

I'll cop to not knowing  much about Neo-Platonism and Druidism but I'd like to learn. Can you recommend any book titles? Thanks!

It is useful to read an introduction to Neo-Platonism in general, but any historical overview of the history of western philosophy will do. I try to mix Neo-Platonism with exoteric customs of Religio Romana, but that goes so-and-so.

Important sources written by ancient Neo-Platonists are
  • Plotinus: The Enneads (translated by Stephen MacKenna)
  • Iamblichus: On the Mysteries (translated by Emma C. Clarke, John M. Dillon & Jackson P. Hershbell)
  • Pseudo-Iamblichus: Theology of Arithmetic (translated by Robin Waterfield)
  • Proclus: The Elements of Theology (translated by E.R. Dodds)
Recently, two books about theurgy were published, but I haven't had the opportunity to read them yet:

• Jeffrey S. Kupperman: Living theurgy
  • Patrick Dunn: Practical Art of Divine Magic
Since I haven't read them yet, I can't testify for their level of quality, but they look promising, at least, and they are on my reading-list.

When it comes to Druidry, it is a very diverse and nebulous movement. I am a solitary myself: Sweden is not crowded with Druid Orders.

If any persons calls themselves Druids, you may be reasonably certain, that Nature is important for them, but after that point the divergences begins:
  • Most, but not all, use Iolo Morganwg's 18th century Gorsedd Prayer (adapted in many cases in polytheist or inclusive direction)
  • Mediaeval Celtic poetry and fiction may or may not be a source of inspiration. The level of attention chivalric tales about king Arthur ought to deserve varies considerably
  • From your side of The Pond in the 1960s comes the custom to bless water and drink it, but it is unusual in UK, and 'the Waters of Life' in the strict sense are only celebrated in groups with historical continuity to RDNA
  • Druids are not unified by a common pantheon: There exist Irish polytheist Druids, Welsh polytheist Druids, Christian Druids, Deist Druids, Jewish Druids, Buddhist Druids, Pantheist Druids, Animist Druids, and Druids who work with deities of rather late coinage (such as Celi, Ced, Ceridwen, Hu Gadarn, Beal and Dalon ap Landu). In US there exist Druids who chose from any of the Indo-European pantheons (ADF)
  • It is customarily to celebrate either solstices + equinoxes or the four Irish/Scottish/Welsh seasonal festivals, or all eight of them
A good introduction to British 18th and 19th century Druidry, though somewhat thin, is John Michael Greer's The Druidry Handbook. It has a sequel: The Druid Magic Handbook. They will become easier to understand, if you keep Sioned Davies' translation of The Mabinogion and John Michael Greer (ed.): The Druid Revival Reader ready for reference.

A very personal view on modern Druidry is Emma Restall Orr's Living Druidry: Magical Spirituality for the Wild Soul. Graeme K. Talboys is also worth reading.

In order to understand the version of Druidry prevalent in the US, which differ from the British Enlightenment-Era version both in ethos, history and practices, a visit to this website could be useful:
http://rdna.info

The following are collections of source material:
John Matthews (ed.): The Bardic Sourcebook
John Matthews (ed.): The Celtic Seers' Sourcebook
John Matthews (ed.): The Druid Sourcebook

A historical overview of many forms of modern Druidry, is Ronald Hutton's Blood and Mistletoe.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:55:25 pm by RecycledBenedict »

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 03:12:36 pm »

I am sorry for my bad treatment of the English language in my last reply. I didn't notice the knobs and excrescences of my text until it was too late, so I couldn't cut them away.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 08:43:46 am »

Grey Owl

P.S. In my first post I meant to say that I practice a very eclectic form of Wicca not eccentric, although some may indeed label me as such.

A Reminder:
You made two fairly substantial edits (at 3 minutes and 9 minutes after you posted and called them both "typos" in your reason for editing. Our rules state that "Editing your messages to significantly change the content after a  message can reasonably be assumed to have been read by others (which is 2  or 3 minutes after posting). This is particularly true if the message  has already been replied to." is considered annoying.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:21:20 am »
Quote from: RandallS;188016
A Reminder:
You made two fairly substantial edits (at 3 minutes and 9 minutes after you posted...

Typo of some significance: that should read '10 minutes and 9 minutes'.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:22:50 pm »
Good Day All,

Grey Lone Owl

Hello and welcome
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Gnowan

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »
Good Day All,

Grey Lone Owl

Welcome!  I look forward to hearing more from you.

~Gnowann

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 01:43:49 am »
I look forward to getting to know other Cauldron members and learning from all of you.  

Grey Lone Owl

I'm a bit late to the party, but welcome to The Cauldron! :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 04:13:45 am »
I look forward to getting to know other Cauldron members and learning from all of you.  

Welcome to TC, Grey Owl!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »
Good Day All,

Grey Lone Owl

Prepper for what? Surely you don't want to survive the BLAST? If there is a BLAST, I want to be at Ground Zero ... I'm an admirer of Aristotle, so I plump for civilization. I was born in New York City and lived there for 42 years. Now, I can walk 2 blocks to the beach and look at NYC across the bay. I've not got far from home, have I? No Carnegie Hall, no Great Library, no Museums, no - universities?! No, that's no way for human beings to live!!! Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Telemann - life w/o them - ??? Life w/o a corned beef on rye - ??? Wow! That isn't life. That's HELL ...
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Dwarvenpunk
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 08:22:30 pm »
Quote from: DIASPORA-1963;188170
Prepper for what? Surely you don't want to survive the BLAST? If there is a BLAST, I want to be at Ground Zero ... I'm an admirer of Aristotle, so I plump for civilization. I was born in New York City and lived there for 42 years. Now, I can walk 2 blocks to the beach and look at NYC across the bay. I've not got far from home, have I? No Carnegie Hall, no Great Library, no Museums, no - universities?! No, that's no way for human beings to live!!! Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Telemann - life w/o them - ??? Life w/o a corned beef on rye - ??? Wow! That isn't life. That's HELL ...

Hahaha, that sounds like where I grew up. Mind you, I don't live there anymore, but if there's someplace to get a good corned beef on rye in Portland, I haven't found it yet.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

DIASPORA-1963

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:39:40 am »
Quote from: Jack;188191
Hahaha, that sounds like where I grew up. Mind you, I don't live there anymore, but if there's someplace to get a good corned beef on rye in Portland, I haven't found it yet.

I've never been to Portland. If there's a good kosher deli, you'd have a chance there ... A few things you learn in NY - a bagel isn't a bagel unless it's made in a kosher bakery. (Nobody outside of NY seems to know from bialys.) Even a kosher bakery needs the right water. People from Upstate NY, from NJ, from the Island, from as far away as Philadelphia, from as far away as Virginia, even, come to NY to get their rye bread from kosher bakeries because there are 2 laws of Nature: 1) the water in NYC makes the best bread, & 2) only a Jew knows how to make good rye bread. And, for my money, Jews make the best corned beef, too - you can order w/the fat or w/o the fat, your choice. & the pastrami. Let's not forget the pastrami. 1/2 corned beef, the other pastrami, mounds of sauerkraut and Hebrew National deli mustard, kosher dill pickles - now you're talking a NY feast. If you're in a place that isn't keeping kosher, you might even get cheese on it, but, if you are in a kosher place, forget the cheese - or milk for your coffee. Milk period. No dairy w/the meat. No dairy in the building. But who needs dairy w/the corned beef and pastrami? Nobody. Have some pickled tomatoes instead - nothing like pickled tomatoes!
MARK aka CELLVLANVS MAGVS
OMNIA DEPENDET!

Tags: